I can't start the game

• Hello everyone,

I just bought the game on steam 2 days ago and haven’t been able to play it yet. When i launch it via steam after downloading, it installs directx 9.0c but then doesnt start the game. It doesnt even opens a new window and when trying to start the udk.exe in the steam folder i get the error message:

“d3dx9_43.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.”

I already tried deleting and reinstalling this dll, reinstalling the game several times, update direct x 9 manually but nothing changed.
    I can run every other game just fine and don’t know what to do now.

my pc-specs:
    AMD FX 6100 Six Core Processor, 4,00GHz
    8 Gb RAM
    AMD Radeon HD6970
    ATI Catalyst Suite Vista & Windows 7/8 (64 Bit) 12.10
    Windows 7 Professional Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

• not sure it helps but do you have this microsoft redistru C thingy? (vcredist_x64),

• yes i do

• Did you try turning the computer on? Joking.

Download this, it should be able to fix the problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download … aspx?id=35

• Well first thanks for the answer but it didnt really fix the problem - when installing it i get the message its already installed so I can’t do that - any other suggestions? =(

• What happens if you try to verify the game cache in Steam? Maybe the game files (trying to access the .dll) are corrupted.

Also, try running the UDKgame.exe from windows explorer instead of through Steam.

• Steam itself doesn’t give errors at all, neither when verifying game cache, nor when trying to launch the game. i also deleted all files and downloaded them again several times but nothing changed. When i run the udk.exe from explorer i get the error message “d3dx9_43.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.”

• Hmmm interesting… how did you go about deleting and installing it? What version of the .dll do you have? Mine is 9.27.952.3001. Some people have recommended manually extracting the file from the directx installer (or downloading the dll file separately from the interwebs, but that is not recommended unless you trust the source that you got it from) and copying it into system32 and syswow64, overwriting them in both directories.

Here’s a link to someone with the same problem with Dead Island using the above tactic to get it to work http://www.dead-island.com/forums/dead-island-tech-support/4083-pc-version-game-wont-launch-steam.html.

• Now that upsets me a bit… i have version: 9.29.925.3111…
    Oh and i forgot to mention that there was first the same error, but with the d3dcompiler_43.dll in the SysWOW64 folder! I could fix this by simply replacing that with a downloaded version - then i got the other error and of course i tried the same with d3dx9_43.dll but didnt work in this case - that is where i got it from: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f … l?d3dx9_43

• @Jarwren:

i tried the same with d3dx9_43.dll but didnt work in this case - that is where i got it from: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f … l?d3dx9_43

EDIT: All sorts of edits.

I goofed on the version. I was looking at d3dx9_42.dll instead of _43.dll. Same version number: 2.29.952.3111. It seems that the one on that site is a much smaller size though.

Did you also copy it into your system32 folder as advised in that Dead Island thread in addition to the SysWOW64? The instructions only say system32 and not SysWOW64.

From the instructions that came with that .dll:

Installation instructions:

1. Open the zip-file you downloaded from DLL-files.com.

2. Extract the .dll-file to a location on your computer. We recommend you to unzip the file to the directory of the program that is requesting the file. If that doesn’t work, you will have to extract the file to your system directory.
    By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\WINNT\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP, Vista, 7).
    Make sure overwrite any existing files (but make a backup copy of the original file).

3. Reboot your computer.

4. If the problem still occurs, try the following:

1. Press Start and select Run.
    2. Type CMD and press Enter (or if you use Windows ME, type COMMAND).
    3. Type regsvr32 “filename”.dll and press Enter.

If you have any other problems, see our HELP-section at http://www.dll-files.com

Here are my 2:

System32: 2.28 MB
    SysWOW64: 1.9 MB

I can send you mine if you like.

• Wow thats getting annoying - now i replaced the d3dx9_43.dll in SysWOW64 and system32 folder and now i get the error with d3dx11_43.dll -.-

• @Jarwren:

Wow thats getting annoying - now i replaced the d3dx9_43.dll in SysWOW64 and system32 folder and now i get the error with d3dx11_43.dll -.-

One down, x to go ;)

Rinse and repeat! Sounds like your directx installation got mauled somewhere along the line.

• AWWWW YEA! At last it worked! My mistake was replacing those .dll in the system32 folder - even if the error dialog says the problem is in this folder, only replacing the .dll in SysWOW64 actually fixes it.
    Thanks for all your help anyways! See you ingame ;)

• @Jarwren:

AWWWW YEA! At last it worked! My mistake was replacing those .dll in the system32 folder - even if the error dialog says the problem is in this folder, only replacing the .dll in SysWOW64 actually fixes it.
    Thanks for all your help anyways! See you ingame ;)

WOooohooooOooOOOOO!!! See you on the battlefield! :cheers:

Edit:
    Would you mind renaming the topic to something about missing the dll name and a SOLVED or [SOLVED] tag like that so that it can be found quicker for the next person who has that issue? Thanks!

• I have the same problem but it gives me an error message. it says UDK.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience. please help

• @urbenjames:

I have the same problem but it gives me an error message. it says UDK.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience. please help

Do you get the error message about the .dll not working with Windows? If not, please post a new thread and include a DxDiag.txt.

• i cant play either D:

• dose this game if i have a X1950 GT graphics card

• can’t play eighter, and when I look at what I have to do to fix it …… whell it’s all kind of abracadabra to me.
    Omg just bought a new comp to play Chiv propperly, I begin to believe that it is easyer to install my old comp back and play Chiv on it even if it freezes every 30 secs…

Don’t know what to do…

• @boldest:

can’t play eighter, and when I look at what I have to do to fix it …… whell it’s all kind of abracadabra to me.
    Omg just bought a new comp to play Chiv propperly, I begin to believe that it is easyer to install my old comp back and play Chiv on it even if it freezes every 30 secs…

Don’t know what to do…

Make a new thread with what happens, what you do, and include a DxDiag.txt.