Critical error forcing reboot

• For whatever reason, occasionally when I play the game will crash, and force a reboot. No blue screen. It doesn’t seem to matter what I’m doing when it happens, and I can’t reliably reproduce the error. It just happens. My computer meets all the requirements and for the first week I played it, it ran perfectly.

So to reiterate: I’ll be doing something in game (doesn’t matter what, and occurs at random times) and all of a sudden I’ll get a black screen, and my computer will reboot.

• Hmmm that sounds like something might be overheating… graphics card? Do you have vsync on?

Also, can you find the error in your Windows Event Viewer and see what happened?

• There are no events in the event viewer (relating to hardware or any other errors). I haven’t reset the log since I got the computer in February.

Forgot to mention, my card runs at about 55-64 degrees celcius (nominal) when playing nearly any game. I’ve been able to play Crysis 2 on this rig.

• So nothing in the event viewer under Custom Views -> Administrative Events like a Critical or Error level event around the time of the crash?

Hmmm how about vsync though? With it turned off, it could possibly be churning out so many frames that it overheats (a problem famous for StarCraft 2 when it first came out with the nVidia 400 series cards during menus where it was displaying the simple menus at like 300-400 fps since it wasn’t capped and it caused cards to burn out). Probably not the case, but doesn’t hurt to throw it out there.

• did you put a gfx card into a stock computer? psu under 500w? after about 6 months or so, power usage will cripple the psu causing shut offs. but your saying reboot

• Oh yikes, I’m blind. Yeah it’s listed as “Source: Kernel-Power, event ID: 41”. This is the only event until after the computer finishes booting, then it just has an event log error that reads “audit events dropped by the transport”.

I upgraded the power supply to a 500w before I upgraded the graphics card. Vsync is off.

• in the past i burnt a 465w with a 9800

these days i have this. very pleased

• @zanthreatsu:

Oh yikes, I’m blind. Yeah it’s listed as “Source: Kernel-Power, event ID: 41”. This is the only event until after the computer finishes booting, then it just has an event log error that reads “audit events dropped by the transport”.

To my knowledge, that one just means that the computer shutdown unexpectedly. Nothing before that saying that a driver or hardware component failed?

Try the game with vsync turned on.