Don't appear in chat or player list

• So I’ve played the fantastic Chivalry in the same location with the same router on two entirely different computers (both Asus mobos, both Nvidia graphics cards). When playing the game, on both computers my name doesn’t show up in the player list (when I hit tab) and the first line of text doesn’t appear when I chat. BUT the second line of text DOES APPEAR.

Weird, right? So to communicate I’ve been putting a whole bunch of spaces, then typing what I want to say, and am immediately met with “WHO IS THIS NAMELESS GHOST THAT IS TALKING?”

I also don’t appear to be making any progress towards new weapons, although I can’t confirm that because I don’t know how to level because I’m a noob at the game.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Also, I’m using ZoneAlarm, in case that’s blocking some info from being communicated or whatever…

• @m6hurricane:

So I’ve played the fantastic Chivalry in the same location with the same router on two entirely different computers (both Asus mobos, both Nvidia graphics cards). When playing the game, on both computers my name doesn’t show up in the player list (when I hit tab) and the first line of text doesn’t appear when I chat. BUT the second line of text DOES APPEAR.

Weird, right? So to communicate I’ve been putting a whole bunch of spaces, then typing what I want to say, and am immediately met with “WHO IS THIS NAMELESS GHOST THAT IS TALKING?”

I also don’t appear to be making any progress towards new weapons, although I can’t confirm that because I don’t know how to level because I’m a noob at the game.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I’ve seen a few people play without names. Does your Steam name have funky characters in it that Chiv might not be able to render properly?

You can check your rank in the scoreboard (it’s a column next to people’s names). Of course you need to show up in the scoreboard to be able to see that… Rank has no bearing on weapon unlocks. You can see your progress to weapon unlocks when you choose a loadout for a class.

• <8D M6hurricane is my Steam name… Do those characters count as “hard to render?” AFAIK they’re all in ASCII, or Unicode, or whatever Windows notepad uses.

and wouldn’t you know it, that seems to be the problem. Now my name shows up, I can chat, and I’m in the player list.

Thanks!! :D

• @m6hurricane:

<8D M6hurricane is my Steam name… Do those characters count as “hard to render?” AFAIK they’re all in ASCII, or Unicode, or whatever Windows notepad uses.

and wouldn’t you know it, that seems to be the problem. Now my name shows up, I can chat, and I’m in the player list.

Thanks!! :D

What did you change your Steam name to? I have a sneaky suspicion the “<” couldn’t be rendered correctly.