How does the stagger system work?

• When you hit someone is it based on how much damage you do? or what? can someone please tell me because its really annoying seeing enemies never flinch but when I get hit i cannot attack.

• To make someone flich, you have to catch them before their attack goes into swing, so in the wind up of their strike. Any later than that and the weapon’s mass and momentum are already at play. Try using weapons with greater speed if you keep being interupted.

• Or swing earlier. Although there’s a bug where you can hit them but they won’t flinch regardless. Of course lag is a factor as well.

Nothing more infuriating then hitting someone and starting to combo and they instantly windup again and swing at you.

• Next patch, flinch will apply to enemies in the idle state as well, so you won’t be potentially punished for making the first move.

• @Farkon:

Although there’s a bug where you can hit them but they won’t flinch regardless. Of course lag is a factor as well.

This one is the most annoying one, fixing this should be top priority.

• I’d be interested in finding out how lag affects flinching. Let’s say I have 500 ms (.5 seconds; very bad but some people play with it) ping and my weapon only takes .3 seconds to wind up. If an enemy hits me on their screen while I am winding up my swing on my screen, my PC won’t know about it until after my swing has been loosed on my screen. Likewise, he won’t see me winding up my swing until after it has already completed on my screen. In this case, what happens? Do I flinch, even though I would see myself swinging at him? Or do I not flinch, which completely screws over the guy attacking me?

How about the case where he swings at me and I suffer damage on my screen when I am swinging on my screen? Do I flinch, even though I technically took the damage on the server before I started swinging?

Or am I making an incorrect assumption, and does your swing animation not start until the server gives you the go-ahead? How does lag compensation even work in this game, which requires rapid interaction between players?

I swear, lag is such a nightmare in game design, I’m impressed online games work at all.

• Lag causes much havoc as it causes a huge lack of consistency in timing of events. This game relies heavily on timing of attacks and blocks so it is especially bad. Not much can be done though other than to play on LAN

• Ok so ive definetly come across this no flinching bug, since it cant really be lag because mine rarely goes above 0.4 sec delay hope it gets fixed…

• @someguy216:

Ok so ive definetly come across this no flinching bug, since it cant really be lag because mine rarely goes above 0.4 sec delay hope it gets fixed…

0.4s?

I hope you mean 0.04s :?