Teaming in FFA?

• I’ve always believed one of the key rules of FFA is that it is exactly that, a Free For All. Recently I’ve been noticing more and more teaming, though. It’s particularly bad amongst archers. On the throne room map there was even the case of crossbowmen palisading a fort in one of the side corridors of the map, and then taking potshots at everyone except each other.

While I might be a bit naive, how exactly is that fair in an FFA server? Even when I play with my brother or my friends, whenever it’s FFA we’re killing everyone, INCLUDING each other. We don’t setup a fort and start a faction against everyone else. We play by the rules, because we know it’s more fun that way.

I’m pretty new to the community, but I have trouble believing that teaming in FFA is considered legitimate.

• I’ve always believed one of the key rules of FFA…

Well that is your first mistake right there. There are no rules in FFA. That’s what makes it so fun. If there was NEVER an instance of double teaming…that’s called a Duel server. Double teaming, kill stealing, and ganking duelers who are not look is what FFA is all about.

• Fair? No. Legitimate? Yes.

• I just think it goes against the spirit of FFA. If you want teams there are a billion servers that do that, with a billion different game options. FFA is the one server you can go to truly test your INDIVIDUAL skill in a battlefield environment (duel falls short for that purpose), and not teamwork ability. Why can’t they go to the millions of other servers if they really want to team? The fact that it’s archers exploiting the map environments makes it a further annoyance, and goes so far as to break the game, making it virtually unplayable.

• @TyrionLannister:

I just think it goes against the spirit of FFA. If you want teams there are a billion servers that do that, with a billion different game options. FFA is the one server you can go to truly test your INDIVIDUAL skill in a battlefield environment (duel falls short for that purpose), and not teamwork ability. Why can’t they go to the millions of other servers if they really want to team? The fact that it’s archers exploiting the map environments makes it a further annoyance, and goes so far as to break the game, making it virtually unplayable.

Quite the opposite, FFA is full of people who smash LMB and pray to kill.

• FFA: Free For All.
    –-> Do everything you want, team up, don’t, kill everybody, kill nobody, whatever. You can spend the whole round in a corner with a shield in front of you if you want to.

I still agree that teaming up is neither fair nor honorable.
    Yesterday in FFA, some guy was trying to kill me with throwing knives. Someone was running behind him, so I just raised my shield waiting for him to get backslashed.
    The guy who killed him told me “Team work”.
    Well no, I just took advantage of the “environnement”, that’s all. And I’m free to do so.

• Still FFA Duel servers are the best to test your skill or to improve it.

• Try a game of FFA being a pacifist - Knight + tower shield + 3rd person + crouch blocking. Just block everything and never attack back. It’s fun to imagine some people’s frustrations :)

• @ReMixx:

Try a game of FFA being a pacifist - Knight + tower shield + 3rd person + crouch blocking. Just block everything and never attack back. It’s fun to imagine some people’s frustrations :)

Hiiiiiiiiiihouehawhehahehsehshehawe….HAAAAAAAAWHWHAHW WAWA HHUHIIHOOH

• @Painzx:

@ReMixx:

Try a game of FFA being a pacifist - Knight + tower shield + 3rd person + crouch blocking. Just block everything and never attack back. It’s fun to imagine some people’s frustrations :)

Teehee!

I’ve also seen a guy do it on Battlegrounds with an Agathian knight crouch shield blocking and frustrating the crap out of the Masons. He wasn’t really doing anything productive other than annoying them :jlaff:

• @ReMixx:

@Painzx:

@ReMixx:

Teehee!

I’ve also seen a guy do it on Battlegrounds with an Agathian knight crouch shield blocking and frustrating the crap out of the Masons. He wasn’t really doing anything productive other than annoying them :jlaff:

Haha yeah I’ve been the victim of that once, in a last team standing this Mason knight did the same, when we had 3 people still alive, he forced a draw, I was like “FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-u…” :D

• @Jadarok:

I’ve always believed one of the key rules of FFA…

Well that is your first mistake right there. There are no rules in FFA. That’s what makes it so fun. If there was NEVER an instance of double teaming…that’s called a Duel server. Double teaming, kill stealing, and ganking duelers who are not look is what FFA is all about.

Its free for all not free form mode. He isnt talking about someone getting killed by two people he is talking about people purposely working with each other. How is it a free for all if there are people who agree to work together, the whole idea is that everyone is fair game not for everyone to form a buddy system.

I dont really understand why anyone would bother though, it isn’t really going to help you win.

• @BGrey:

@Jadarok:

I’ve always believed one of the key rules of FFA…

Its free for all not free form mode. He isnt talking about someone getting killed by two people he is talking about people purposely working with each other. How is it a free for all if there are people who agree to work together, the whole idea is that everyone is fair game not for everyone to form a buddy system.

If I was more eloquent, I would have stated my original post with these arguments. I 100% agree with you.

@BGrey:

@Jadarok:

I dont really understand why anyone would bother though, it isn’t really going to help you win.

While this is true for most instances when people try to team, as I was saying it was two archers, a class that is unique in its ability to sustain a fight from a distance. If used in conjunction with unfair tactics (as I said, using the crossbowmen’s shield to build a barricade that can be shot over, but not swung through), it can majorly unbalance the game to the point of making it unplayable (do I go after the people not turtling and get shot in the back, or attack the turtlers so I can be hit in the back while I’m busy trying to break the shield wall?). It just turns what should be a fun Free For All melee into a frustrating, practically un-winnable, and (worst of all) boring situation.

• I think it’s rather fun forming unofficial, unspoken agreements with people to basically crush everyone around you or like a “thanks for saving my ass, I’ll spare your life this time!” kinds of things.

• I see FFA as a “do-whatever-the-hades-you-want” mode, so if archers wanna gang up, np! More things to set on fire anyway XD

• I do not understand how this is even a topic of debate. Why does this thread exist?

• @Carsha:

I do not understand how this is even a topic of debate. Why does this thread exist?

Because teaming ruins the purpose of a Free For All. If you want to team, aren’t there enough servers for that? Read the thread before claiming it shouldn’t exist.

• There is no purpose to Free For All…because it’s FREE for ALL. You do whatever you want. If you ever get in a 3 way standoff, quite often 2 people will go for the other 1…does that ruin the purpose? Of course not. Sure it’s possible a clan of 10 guys will team up in a FFA server, but gees if it’s that bad just find another one. If 2 friends want to form a secret alliance in a FFA server, let them have their fun. Plus it’s great practice for TO maps when quite often you’ll find yourself in outnumbered situations.

• Yeah unfortunately FFA will be that way. It definitely isn’t the time to test your skills. I find duel servers are much better for that. That might be your best bet overall. FFA is good for unlocking weapons and massing as many kills as possible. Hardly ever any skill involved. Plus a lot of rage as well. lol.

• Give FFA some credit. Making it to the top of those chaotic meatgrinders is also a testament to ones skill. Sure a duel server tests your 1v1 capabilities, but those skills are also tested FFA WHILE avoiding backstabs or doubleteams. It’s so rewarding to be in the middle of a duel with someone and at the same time do a quick turn around to chop off the guy’s head who tried to sneak up on you, then go back to dueling.