[Suggestion] New Modus "Defend the King"

• Hey everyone,

first of all i have to say that this project is going to be awesome! I always want a game like this thanks to Torn Banner Studios for this development!

I have an idea for a new gameplay mode:

I call it “Defend the King”: This modus is quite identical to the V.I.P Modus in Counter Strike. I mean every fraction has a King. The King is chosen by the server e. g. random selection by server for each side. The King has more life, armor and can deal higher damage. But if the king dies the team who belong to the king is defeated.

So every team has to protect their king and if he dies, the team will lose…

CalenLoki wrote:

in CS VIP has only shitty pistol, why should it be uber knight here?

He is right and his criticism is entitled.

However this modus will be designed i really love the fact, if the king dies that the team will lose… So every team have to protect and attack that seams strategically and brings a lot of fun ;)

If you like this kind of gameplay write your modus’ design in this topic or offer criticism on this modus.

• Totally YES.
    And a little idea for similar mode, apart from king dies =team loses.

1. Only one team has got a king
    2. King must get to specified place.
    3. King can rally troops (health/stamina gain for nearby units??)
    4. King HAS got an armor

Ad. 4. In AoC (and i see same idea in C:MW), almost every blow ends in fountain of blood, and pierces through armor (even plate). In real life, full plate armor gives real protection, almost every arrow bounces out of it, swords also. And beating full-plated - morgenstern and shield wielding mounted knight is SO hard, that may seem almost unreal for most of players used to see games and taking it for real. And king-plates were truly extraordinary. For example there is a story about a king that was put off the saddle by peasants armed with primitive weapons, such as clubs, simple halberds, poles, daggers, and so. And for half an hour they tried to kill the lying king (dont remember what king was that), trying to find a gap in armor…yes, they didn’t made it, reinforcements came ;)

• Hmm… I found reason why king should have shitty sword:
    1. If king is the best, then we have envy factor - everyone want’s to be king.
    2. If he’s so good in attack, he’ll go for fight. And whole team loosing just because king is stupid noob who can’t stay back isn’t funny at all.

However, it’s only argument why he shouldn’t have too good weapon - I agree that he should be heavy armoured, always with shield - just so he can stay alive as long as possible when his servants kill all enemies.

So king:
    armour - very heavy
    weapons - sword and shield
    speed - slow (he’s there to be defended, not run to away)

About 4. You’re right, but kids loves red fountain, even if blood strains dropping from armour gaps are ten times more immersive and realistic. Of course it doesn’t apply to light armours, where lots of blood looks nice.

• Indeed, low speed should be good, but why weak weapon. Slow speed is hard enough in that kind of game, when swiftness is often more important than health factor. Idk, that should be tested.
    Indeed, there is a question how to choose a king. Maybe if there would be experience levels (which i believe will be according to other posts - customizing armor etc.), the most experienced player would become a king, and if he don’t want to - can pass this privilege to the next team member in line.

And about experience - i would prefer temporary xp, such as in Dark Messiah.

About 4. If we are to discuss realism, then fountain of blood should appear only if artery is cut. And even lightest armor can defend body quite good, and medium armor, such as chainmail offers really nice protection. If hit by the sword’s cutting edge, it converts energy to more “blunt” wound, and is not easy to cut through, alas its vulnerable to arrows and other piercing weapons.

And one more thing came to me, but its off-top. According to what i say i’d prefer not “hit-wound” system, but more - “hit - stamina lose” system, and only “critical hits” would pierce armor leaving a blood and fountain stuff. If stamina is below 0 - one should fall or became unconscious.

Greetz.

• Developer

I can tell you that this is part of the way that we are bringing more life to the objectives and making them more dynamic, so instead of a full gamemode for these types of things, you will encounter them as objectives within a level. So for example lets say you siege a castle and break down the gate, once you’ve done that and gained access to the throne room, your final objective might become to take out the enemy king.

• Tibberius, this IS magnificient :) Do You anyway seek for another ideas for that kind of “storylined” campaigns?

cheers

• Tibberius :

That sounds awesome! But will the king be a NPC with AI or a real player ? Furthermore, who chooses the king if it will be a player? And is the player the king at the beginning from map start or even when the team break the king hall’s door?

I mean it’s quite unreal if the king exists at the beginning and he is killed by an enemy in the early game. Then the last goal “kill the king” to win this game is obsolete…

But I’m very sure you will handle the objective modus that every player will have a lot of fun ;)

• King class must come equipped with smoke pots.

• @Lopt:

Tibberius :

That sounds awesome! But will the king be a NPC with AI or a real player ? Furthermore, who chooses the king if it will be a player? And is the player the king at the beginning from map start or even when the team break the king hall’s door?

I mean it’s quite unreal if the king exists at the beginning and he is killed by an enemy in the early game. Then the last goal “kill the king” to win this game is obsolete…

But I’m very sure you will handle the objective modus that every player will have a lot of fun ;)

King is a real player who is chosen during the game :)

• Exciting!