Can't find servers - even after Patch1

• I have been trying to make this game work for last four days and so far I have never seen a single server in the server list. Not once. After Patch1 it’s no better, it just always says retrieving servers but it never returns anything.

I can play game itself just fine, training and fighting against bots works just fine, no issues here.
    I don’t play many multilayer games on steam but I can play mount and blade just fine, servers here load fast and without problems, ping is ok.

note: after patch it always starts in a window and not in full screen, as it did before the patch1 but ctrl+enter puts me back in full screen.

Some of the things I tried so far:

• restarted steam many many times

• restarted my computer, turned it off as well

• made sure my steam client is up to date

• Verified integrity of the game cache (even after patch1, always everything fine)

• set Game server browser: max pings/ minute to 250 manually.

• deleted MasterServer2.vdf and let the game restore it, doesn’t help (tried this many times, before and after patch1 as well)

• downloaded MasterServer2.vdf from the links provided on this site, nothing (tried this many times, before and after patch1 as well)

• I opted in Steam beta and yeah I can see pig picture icon, it doesn’t help though (even after patch1 it still doesn’t work

• completely turned off my firewall (ZoneAlarm) and made sure that Windows 7 firewall is turned off as well

• turned off antivirus (Avast), I even made sure that it’s stopped in windows services list

PC specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    Intel Core™2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz
    6GB RAM
    MSI NVidia N250GTS 1Gb

My location: Czech republic

Here is content of the MasterServer2.vdf
    “MasterServers”
    {
    “hl1”
    {
    “0”
    {
    “addr” “208.64.200.117:27011”
    }
    “1”

{
    “addr” “208.64.200.118:27011”
    }
    }
    “hl2”
    {
    “0”
    {

“addr” “208.64.200.52:27011”
    }
    “1”
    {
    “addr” “208.64.200.39:27011”
    }

}
    “rdkf”
    {
    “0”
    {
    “addr” “69.28.158.131:27014”
    }
    }
    “gms”
    {
    }
    }

I tried to ping on the IP addresses in the list and results are:
    HL1:
    208.64.200.117 - Request timed out
    208.64.200.118 - Request timed out

Hl2:
    208.64.200.52 - All packets sent and received, average 211ms
    208.64.200.39 - All packets sent and received, average 245ms
    69.28.158.131 - All packets sent and received, average 160ms

LOG:
    I followed the instructions given here, deleted Suppress=DevOnline line in UDKEngine.ini and produced log, this was done AFTER patch1.

Only other thing I can think about it that I am behind NAT and not all ports get mapped to my local Ip as it seems, so many applications that requite this usually detects me as “Passive”. I have no idea what sort of ports would I have to open but Steam works just fine, I can download and play games and today I played some Mount and blade online and that works fine as well, servers load fast and I can join and play with no issues, so guess that NAT shouldn’t be problem then?

I am out of ideas. I really want to play this and from what I can see playing agaist bots it’s great game but it just doesn’t work for me. So it looks I just bought multiplayer game with no multiplayer :(

Any ideas what else can I do ??? because I am giving up, it just looks like I am one of the guys how just can’t play it no matter what.

• This is really odd because your log file shows that it found servers and gets their details just fine, it’s just not displaying at all in your server browser it seems.

For kicks and giggles, could you please attach a DxDiag.txt? Also, anyway that you could grab a quick few minute video of you loading the game, waiting for servers to show up for a minute or two, clicking some of the filter options, etc and throw it on the YouTubes? FRAPS should be able to record video.

• Where is that DxDiag.txt? I can’t find it. I let Windows 7 search through the whole computer for it and nothing, although Windows’ 7 search seems to be all broken anyway, so maybe not much of a surprise.

I currently don’t have any way how to record how I start the game but I will look into it.
    There isn’t really anything unusual about how I start it though. I tried quite a few variations over last few days. Restarting steam a lot, starting it using the icon on my desktop or launching it from steam, then going right to the join game menu a waiting for a long time, clicking refresh, not clicking on anything, trying to wait a long time without moving my mouse at all or clicking on anything. I heard some guys complaining how it doesn’t load for them after changing some filters, so I rather don’t touch that. I tried also, as some people here recommended, first start training then hitting ESC for menu and click join or playing against bots and then ESC and join but the list always ends up being completely empty, I have never seen a single thing there. I try to never mess with filters or anything just waiting.
    Mind you all of this was tried many times over several days, while constantly restarting steam, and trying things like deleting MasterServer2 and letting steam restore it and using here provided MasterServer2 file and while being in steam beta atd. I tried a lot of variations of this, anything I could think of and always nothing.

• Start button -> type in “dxdiag” without the quotes, click dxdiag.exe -> after the green progress bar finishes (after it opens), click on save information to have it produce a DxDiag.txt.

It may not be a bad idea to try playing with a filter or two since that causes a refresh on the server browser.

I don’t think that your master server files are messed up since your log file clearly shows that you are finding many many servers and getting all the right data. It looks as just it’s failing to display that data to you in the server browser.

• Ok, I was able to produce that dxdiag file, so here it is.
    I tried messing with all the filters and all the other buttons, using refresh and waiting etc… and nothing.

yeah and one more thing, I noticed that I can actually click on the empty lines in server browser and they get highlighted and with right mouse button I get menu. I can select one of the empty lines and click connect but the connect button just goes red and stays red yet nothing happens. I tried adding on of the empty lines in my favorites but that does nothing and if I click on server info than instant crash, happens every time. I added screen shot of that.

• Interesting.

Do you always run the game in a window?

Can you download Windows 7 Service Pack 1?

Edit:
    It also looks like your video card drivers need to be updated as well.

• @Martisimus:

I have been trying to make this game work for last four days and so far I have never seen a single server in the server list. Not once. After Patch1 it’s no better, it just always says retrieving servers but it never returns anything.

I can play game itself just fine, training and fighting against bots works just fine, no issues here.
    I don’t play many multilayer games on steam but I can play mount and blade just fine, servers here load fast and without problems, ping is ok.

note: after patch it always starts in a window and not in full screen, as it did before the patch1 but ctrl+enter puts me back in full screen.

Some of the things I tried so far:

• restarted steam many many times

• restarted my computer, turned it off as well

• made sure my steam client is up to date

• Verified integrity of the game cache (even after patch1, always everything fine)

• set Game server browser: max pings/ minute to 250 manually.

• deleted MasterServer2.vdf and let the game restore it, doesn’t help (tried this many times, before and after patch1 as well)

• downloaded MasterServer2.vdf from the links provided on this site, nothing (tried this many times, before and after patch1 as well)

• I opted in Steam beta and yeah I can see pig picture icon, it doesn’t help though (even after patch1 it still doesn’t work

• completely turned off my firewall (ZoneAlarm) and made sure that Windows 7 firewall is turned off as well

• turned off antivirus (Avast), I even made sure that it’s stopped in windows services list

PC specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    Intel Core™2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz
    6GB RAM
    MSI NVidia N250GTS 1Gb

My location: Czech republic

Here is content of the MasterServer2.vdf
    “MasterServers”
    {
    “hl1”
    {
    “0”
    {
    “addr” “208.64.200.117:27011”
    }
    “1”

{
    “addr” “208.64.200.118:27011”
    }
    }
    “hl2”
    {
    “0”
    {

“addr” “208.64.200.52:27011”
    }
    “1”
    {
    “addr” “208.64.200.39:27011”
    }

}
    “rdkf”
    {
    “0”
    {
    “addr” “69.28.158.131:27014”
    }
    }
    “gms”
    {
    }
    }

I tried to ping on the IP addresses in the list and results are:
    HL1:
    208.64.200.117 - Request timed out
    208.64.200.118 - Request timed out

Hl2:
    208.64.200.52 - All packets sent and received, average 211ms
    208.64.200.39 - All packets sent and received, average 245ms
    69.28.158.131 - All packets sent and received, average 160ms

LOG:
    I followed the instructions given here, deleted Suppress=DevOnline line in UDKEngine.ini and produced log, this was done AFTER patch1.

Only other thing I can think about it that I am behind NAT and not all ports get mapped to my local Ip as it seems, so many applications that requite this usually detects me as “Passive”. I have no idea what sort of ports would I have to open but Steam works just fine, I can download and play games and today I played some Mount and blade online and that works fine as well, servers load fast and I can join and play with no issues, so guess that NAT shouldn’t be problem then?

I am out of ideas. I really want to play this and from what I can see playing agaist bots it’s great game but it just doesn’t work for me. So it looks I just bought multiplayer game with no multiplayer :(

Any ideas what else can I do ??? because I am giving up, it just looks like I am one of the guys how just can’t play it no matter what.

this post reads like i wrote it, Same issues with absolutely no resolution, I have done everything you describe and cannot get a single server to show, man i hope you get some good luck

• @Ottochops:

this post reads like i wrote it, Same issues with absolutely no resolution, I have done everything you describe and cannot get a single server to show, man i hope you get some good luck

Fingers crossed that updating his system fixes it or at least leads us to the next thing to try!

• @Martisimus:

Ok, I was able to produce that dxdiag file, so here it is.
    I tried messing with all the filters and all the other buttons, using refresh and waiting etc… and nothing.

yeah and one more thing, I noticed that I can actually click on the empty lines in server browser and they get highlighted and with right mouse button I get menu. I can select one of the empty lines and click connect but the connect button just goes red and stays red yet nothing happens. I tried adding on of the empty lines in my favorites but that does nothing and if I click on server info than instant crash, happens every time. I added screen shot of that.

without taking the time to do the screenshots and the video, i literally followed your example step by step and produced the exact same outcome. server window is clickable, server lines are highlightable, yet i cannot join any and as soon as i click on “server info” instant UDK.exe crash! AHHHHH this is frustrating! i posted a launch log and another user told me the game is finding servers just fine, only none are showing up. they suggested i wait until the patch, and today, still no luck, same as above :|

• @Ottochops:

without taking the time to do the screenshots and the video, i literally followed your example step by step and produced the exact same outcome. server window is clickable, server lines are highlightable, yet i cannot join any and as soon as i click on “server info” instant UDK.exe crash! AHHHHH this is frustrating! i posted a launch log and another user told me the game is finding servers just fine, only none are showing up. they suggested i wait until the patch, and today, still no luck, same as above :|

Sounds like I was the person who told you that. Can you post a DxDiag.txt? Let’s see what you have in common with OP versus a computer with a working server browser.

• @ReMixx:

@Ottochops:

Sounds like I was the person who told you that. Can you post a DxDiag.txt? Let’s see what you have in common with OP versus a computer with a working server browser.

once again sorry i am all over this forum, bad edicate, in case you didn’t see my dxdiag post here it is again

• Same problem here. No servers, tried all the fixes.

• About the game running in a window, before patch1 it always started in full screen, as all my other steam games but after patch1 it always start in a window.

Updating, Ok so I updated my Windows 7 64bit, installed SP1 all the critical updates as well, expect 2 that for some reason refuse to update. Updated my Nvidia drivers as well and restarted my computer to make sure everything is running as it should.
    After all this I produced new DxDiag file that is attached to this post.

Tried the game again, waiting for server retrieving to end and then clicking refresh and waiting and then messing with some filters but nothing. Server browser is always empty.
    I attached another log that was produced after all this updating.

After this I tried the game again but this clicking on one of the empty lines and clicking on server info, which resulted in instant crash, as usual and I am not sure if it helps with anything but I attached log that I got after this crash.
    One more thing, I noticed that if it crashes I get this file in log folder unreal-v10246-2012.11.23-12.52.34 which normally isn’t there if it exits in a standard way.

So yeah, any other ideas? Because I am pretty much out of ideas now …

• @Martisimus:

So yeah, any other ideas? Because I am pretty much out of ideas now …

Very very interesting. Thanks for posting the logs. Inspection of the log file seems to show that you are indeed getting a list of servers from the Master Server, but it fails whenever you try to query each individual server for their info.

Here’s a snippet:

[0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 199.21.112.130:8277, UID: 90085600912180228
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 208.100.25.73:7777, UID: 90085601827374082
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 64.79.97.52:7778, UID: 90085567148896257
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 208.100.25.73:7785, UID: 90085600866379777
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 74.91.114.62:6000, UID: 90085600938766339
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 199.21.112.114:9477, UID: 90085600900988932
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 209.15.212.176:9377, UID: 90085600928614402
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 208.100.25.73:7797, UID: 90085600869412867
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 66.150.214.75:6000, UID: 90085600958226432
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 216.185.114.86:8077, UID: 90085600915716098
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 27.50.70.8:9277, UID: 90085600907136004
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 27.50.70.8:8277, UID: 90085600907121664
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 27.50.70.8:8477, UID: 90085600907132929
    [0044.63] DevOnline: ServerRulesResponse: Rules response failed for server; IP: 27.50.70.14:9877, UID: 90085603293261825

I don’t have a solution, but I’d love to watch the packets of data in wireshark. I’ll keep investigating.

• Here is video of me starting the game and waiting for servers to load, then refresh, messing with some filters, highlighting empty lines and trying some options like connect and finally clicking on View server info which results in crash.
    Quality is a bit low but you can see what is going on there

https://vimeo.com/54153658

@ReMixx:

Very very interesting. Thanks for posting the logs. Inspection of the log file seems to show that you are indeed getting a list of servers from the Master Server, but it fails whenever you try to query each individual server for their info.

Hmm well but what can I, as a user, do about it? It seems more like something for programmers to fix. I am not sure why it works for others and not for me though.

About that wireshark, seems like it’s freeware, anything I can do with that? I am not much of a network expert though.

• @Martisimus:

Hmm well but what can I, as a user, do about it? It seems more like something for programmers to fix. I am not sure why it works for others and not for me though.

About that wireshark, seems like it’s freeware, anything I can do with that? I am not much of a network expert though.

Thanks for the video. Don’t worry about wireshark right now… I want to run it on my computer that has a working server browser to see what is supposed to happen. Maybe your computer or router is dropping a specific type of packet.

Can you ping any of the IP addresses of the servers that are quoted in the code block that I posted above? Open Windows command prompt and type “ping ipaddress” without the quotes. For example:

ping 199.21.112.130

• I tried to ping on all of them and except the third IP, they all work. All packets returned and the ping is usually somewhere between 150-250ms.

Hmm maybe it’s more of a issue with ports? As I said previously, I noticed that in many applications that require to communicate between computers of more people I am in so called “Passive mode” so that I can communicate with people who are in “Active mode” but not those in “Passive mode”.
    The issue it apparently with NAT that just doesn’t seem to translate anything than the usual ports for web/ftp etc… I do have NAT port forwarding feature in my router but it looks it’s some kind of crappy modem (given to me by my ISP) and it just doesn’t work very well (as reported by many users) so it just mostly translates the usual ports for web/ftp etc… and that’s it.
    Btw I don’t have internet modem connected to my computer, it’s connected to other computer in the network and it shares it with other computers (via that Windows internet sharing).

• @Martisimus:

I tried to ping on all of them and except the third IP, they all work. All packets returned and the ping is usually somewhere between 150-250ms.

Hmm maybe it’s more of a issue with ports? As I said previously, I noticed that in many applications that require to communicate between computers of more people I am in so called “Passive mode” so that I can communicate with people who are in “Active mode” but not those in “Passive mode”.
    The issue it apparently with NAT that just doesn’t seem to translate anything than the usual ports for web/ftp etc… I do have NAT port forwarding feature in my router but it looks it’s some kind of crappy modem (given to me by my ISP) and it just doesn’t work very well (as reported by many users) so it just mostly translates the usual ports for web/ftp etc… and that’s it.
    Btw I don’t have internet modem connected to my computer, it’s connected to other computer in the network and it shares it with other computers (via that Windows internet sharing).

Try opening the in-game console, type in “open #” where # is the IPaddress:port without the quotes of one of the servers. See if you can at least connect to them and play while we try to sort out the server browser.

• Try opening the in-game console, type in “open #” where # is the IPaddress:port without the quotes of one of the servers. See if you can at least connect to them and play while we try to sort out the server browser.

Oh man, that actually works! Finally on the battlefield :D
    and I am doing pretty fine so far, despite my noob status. The game it self, so far, runs quite nicely as well, no problems, good ping and everything.

Now, disadvantage of this method is, that I can’t really see to what I am joining to, like what type of mode it is, what is the ping etc. but at least it works, so that will do for now and I hope that web browser gets fixed soon.

• @Martisimus:

Try opening the in-game console, type in “open #” where # is the IPaddress:port without the quotes of one of the servers. See if you can at least connect to them and play while we try to sort out the server browser.

Oh man, that actually works! Finally on the battlefield :D
    and I am doing pretty fine so far, despite my noob status. The game it self, so far, runs quite nicely as well, no problems, good ping and everything.

Now, disadvantage of this method is, that I can’t really see to what I am joining to, like what type of mode it is, what is the ping etc. but at least it works, so that will do for now and I hope that web browser gets fixed soon.

Yay! Sorry that we don’t have a solution for the server browser just yet… For more server options, the VQ servers are always looking for new people to play on them… cough cough

Vanquish Servers:
    Vanquish - Saturday Knight Fever (Dallas) 32 slot [244.216.136.1]
    Vanquish Thy Foes! TO & TD (Chicago) 24 slot [44.95.244.2]
    Vanquish or Die! UK (UK) 18 slot [Coming soon]
    Vanquish - Duel Server (Chicago) 12 slot [29.233.80.3]

I don’t have their port numbers though. You will need to bug moderator Kimiko about that ;)