Parry improvement- realistic, skill-based effect on attacker

• My suggestions would, I think, introduce a pretty realistic risk/reward factor to parrying, and make parrying more like an actual parry than a block, as it is now. The suggestions are pretty simple, I think. There are two parts to my suggestion, the attacker and defender reactions to the parry, and the parry timing and placement and their effects on the attacker and defender reactions.

First, the “parry reactions” part. I was thinking, what if there was a real, physical reaction to being parried, as there would be in real life, that is imposed on the attacker depending on how well the defender timed and placed his parry? As it stands now, a parry is just a block with a weapon. A parry should alter the attackers swing plane or stab line, causing a near complete miss and full following through past the defender. This should cause the attacker to be left open for a counterattack due to being out of position relative to the defender and where the attacker wanted to be.

My suggestion is:

When a weapon is parried, the attacker is physically turned away, as if the defender actually parried him. A parry should cause the defender to “bypass” the incoming blow, using the attacker’s momentum against him, turning him further around/down/up than he would otherwise be, opening a window for a counterattack before the attacker can regain his bearings and avoid, block, or parry the counterattack. There is no “stun” or “delay”, only the physical turning away of the attacker as he follows through with his strike.

For example, an attack is coming in horizontally. As the blow is parried, the defender knocks the attacker’s weapon off-plane upwards. This naturally causes the attacker to be swinging up over the defender to the other side of him with a full follow-through. As such, the defender should be looking squarely at the attacker, and there should be no “knockback”. The attacker should follow through completely, and end up looking upwards by some degree and to the side of the defender by 30-45 degrees, or whatever feels right after testing. This gives the defender a window to counterattack, but only as long as it takes the attacker to recover. This allows skill to come into play as well.

Example 2, an overhead strike. An attacker having his overhead strike parried would result in his weapon being knocked off-plane horizontally. As such, the attacker should have a full follow-through, but be turned to the side as above, and end up looking/aiming downwards to some extent by the end of the follow through due to the complete miss and lack of resistance. Again, the defender should end up looking squarely at the attacker, with no “knockback”, and the attacker would be turned away to the side and looking somewhat down. This allows the same counterattack window as above.

Example 3, a stab. An attacker having a stab parried should have the same follow through as a normal stab, but his weapon should be knocked to the side and down, missing the defender completely. This should turn the attacker to the side and down immediately. The same lack of “knockback” and counterattack window as in the above examples apply here.

Now, the risk/reward part. What if the above scenarios were based on a “perfect parry”. Perfectly timed and placed. Find out what the maximum degree of effect on the attacker should be to really have a true parry that leaves the attacker open and looks and feels realistic, not forced. Then, diminish those values of horizontal and vertical effect based on how well the defender timed and placed the parry.

For example, the defender barely timing or placing the parry well enough to connect with the incoming blow would result in what we have now, ie, no real parry at all, but a block with some “knockback”. The “perfect parry” is the opposite extreme, as described in my examples above. The “middle ground”, being a well-placed parry that was not timed to be immediately before the blow landed, or a well timed parry that barely caught the incoming weapon, would have a diminished effect on the attacker. Either some fixed-value in degrees of turning away covering the range of intermediately timed and placed parries, or a linear relationship from poorly timed and placed to the perfect parry, with a number of increments in between.

I feel that the above suggestions would really polish the melee combat in Chivalry, and would impose a realistic and skill-based penalty to being truly parried. It would make parrying a true parry, with a real effect, and not simply a block with some sort of forced and unrealistic penalty to “simulate” a parry. The combat in Chivalry is great, but I think my suggestions would take it to another level entirely.

Thanks for the good work and community involvement, Torn Banner! I hope you take my suggestions into consideration. Now, back to the battlefield! :D

• I would very much like to see such a feature implemented into the game!
    However, in my opinion it would be even better to implement a way to active trigger a “perfect parry-(animation?)”. Lets say, you keep blocking incoming blows with your right-mouse-button as you usually do, but then right at the time when your weapon and your opponents weapon collide you can additionally click the left-mouse-button one time, and if you do so (only at the right moment) it would trigger the “perfect parry”. While you block with the right button I think there is nothing to do with the left button anyway, so why not? I think this way you can avoid “lucky parries” and it is even more challenging and competitive. If you “perfectly parry” it should go on just the way you intended to do.

This is what came to my mind when i read your post. I like your idea very much. We need more ideas of that kind to make the combat more exciting and less mechanics-exploiting.

Greetings from Krim,
    see you on the battlefield!

• If that happened on every parry then everyone would just wait to parry and get their free counter shot. It might be cool to have the effect you describe when an exhausted player gets parried.

• Well you can add a penalty in case you tried a “pefect parry” but failed to do so. Lets say you missclick onto the incoming blow, you block the attack but you get an additional stun, because you hit the left-mouse-button to early or to late. This way I think it would avoid overuse of parrying. And besides, a “perfect parry” should not be THAT much of an advantage. It should just bring you back the initiative of the fight.