Bow Archers get short end of the shaft

• As it stands now, I consider the patch a failure, though it may only pushed so far because of a supposedly glitch with bows.

Now I can understand the change of arrow amount and the increase draw back of the bows, however increasing the speed of the arrow at this time is Bull Shit.

With this new increase arrow speed, for whatever reason, the arrow now falls sooner then it did when it was slow, makes using bows for actual Range a real bitch.

I’d like an arrow that can actually be used decently at range, I don’t prefer an arrow with a limp shaft.

Now just alone, this new arrow thing, besides absolutely pissing me off for the trade off of range for speed, is not a failure, just a minor setback.

However I noticed when you draw back bows, or at least Warbow as I don’t use the others, you are unable to cancel the draw with Q as you once could.

That with the increase draw time broke the bow portion of the class for me completely along with shooting limp shafts.

Too many times have I canceled my old draw back to be able to take out my melee weapon when an enemy got close, aswell so many times I have had to reposition myself to take a better shot, yet at the moment I can not.

• @Zeroace:

I’d like an arrow that can actually be used decently at range, I don’t prefer an arrow with a limp shaft.

That would be the crossbow.

I haven’t noticed this supposedly faster drop time at all, personally. Though I can agree that being unable to feint your bow draw is a real pain in the ass, especially as a shortbow user since you’re easy to jump in melee within effective shortbow range.

• @SlyGoat:

I haven’t noticed this supposedly faster drop time at all, personally. Though I can agree that being unable to feint your bow draw is a real pain in the ass, especially as a shortbow user since you’re easy to jump in melee within effective shortbow range.

The drop time of the arrow is as significant as the speed increase, which is even hard to tell, however the farther the enemy is now, the more of a difference it makes, now if the enemy was an inane distance away I can understand, but this new change affects the arrow at a decent shot away, anyway like I said a minor setback.

The real problem is not being able to Q out of drawback, as for Crossbows, there is no reason in the least to use a heavy crossbow, now that its suppose to have less bolts then the default one.

Who would use something with so little difference for a noticeable difference in reload, and soon to be bolt count?

Lets see, there is a 7 damage difference between Crossbow and Heavy Crossbow, wow so much damage, the difference between long Bow and Warbow is 30.

Taking away bolts from the heavy cross will not help it, if anything the bolts should get progressively faster through the tier of Crossbows and Bows, I mean the longer drawback of the Warbow surely has great force, and the reloading the Heavy Crossbow needing a crank surely is not only for show no?

• @Zeroace:

However I noticed when you draw back bows, or at least Warbow as I don’t use the others, you are unable to cancel the draw with Q as you once could

Too many times have I canceled my old draw back to be able to take out my melee weapon when an enemy got close, aswell so many times I have had to reposition myself to take a better shot, yet at the moment I can not.

This is the first thing I noticed playing as an archer. It’s not like you can’t cancel your bow draw, you just have to wait out the 5-10 second draw timer. I can’t imagine it could possibly affect balance in any way. It’s such a weird omission.

Also, they really need to speed up the transition from a bowshot to drawing a melee weapon. That crazy-long delay might be okay if I could Q out of a bow draw for a faster recovery, but you’re stuck releasing the shot and waaaaaaiting for your guy to pull his dagger. I’ve been killed a LOT of times due to that post-shot coma.

• @VedicIntent:

Also, they really need to speed up the transition from a bowshot to drawing a melee weapon. That crazy-long delay might be okay if I could Q out of a bow draw for a faster recovery, but you’re stuck releasing the shot and waaaaaaiting for your guy to pull his dagger. I’ve been killed a LOT of times due to that post-shot coma.

Good. Why should you be able to shoot at someone when they are a foot away and still pull out your dagger in time. Being forced to make that choice seems perfectly reasonable to me, either take a risk and go for another shot or pull out your melee weapon.

• @VedicIntent:

@Zeroace:

Mkay, you want some fries with that?
    How about a heavy armor and heat seeking arrows?

• @The:

All I’m saying is it shouldn’t take 2 full seconds to pull a knife. I mean, really.

And like I said, it’s really only an issue since you can’t cancel out of a bow draw. Fix one of the two, and my main archer complaints are moot.

• I like the changes to bow mechanics for the most part, but being able to stop drawing the bow string would be very nice.

My main problem with bows is that every now and then, as I am under attack from a melee weapon, pulling my dagger occasionally glitches out horribly, and the game can’t seem to decide whether I still have my bow out or actually have my dagger out. One time I pulled my dagger and 2 seconds later when I tried to block with it it magically transformed into a bow in my hands. Needless to say, I died.

Bows really just need to be able to handle special cases better in general. They just feel buggy and weird whenever you try to use them while something else is happening.

• @Rognik:

I like the changes to bow mechanics for the most part, but being able to stop drawing the bow string would be very nice.

My main problem with bows is that every now and then, as I am under attack from a melee weapon, pulling my dagger occasionally glitches out horribly, and the game can’t seem to decide whether I still have my bow out or actually have my dagger out. One time I pulled my dagger and 2 seconds later when I tried to block with it it magically transformed into a bow in my hands. Needless to say, I died.

Bows really just need to be able to handle special cases better in general. They just feel buggy and weird whenever you try to use them while something else is happening.

This is rare, but it’s there. It mostly appears when I get hit during weaponswap. Anyhow, this bug shows you should draw your melee weapon earlier. ^^

Other than that, bows are fine atm.

• @VedicIntent:

@The:

All I’m saying is it shouldn’t take 2 full seconds to pull a knife. I mean, really.

Yes it should. You’re shooting people from miles away, there’s so reason you should be all ready for close combat when one of them gets the drop on you. It’s a simple matter of balance, and it’s all about making a choice, either firing one more bolt/arrow or facing him with your dagger.

• @VedicIntent:

@The:

And like I said, it’s really only an issue since you can’t cancel out of a bow draw. Fix one of the two, and my main archer complaints are moot.

Protip: you can switch weapons while in the early stages of a bow draw when you can’t Q.

I have had much success with the new bows, I don’t see the issues? I feel archery is much improved. They feel nice and solid.

All i would ask for is faster weapon switch time OR the ability to kick with a bow out.

• I have to agree, you can’t be good at melee and have range its not really fair

you either troll from affar, or you wipe the stupid troll grin off someones face with a mace, not both

but I think bows are underpowered, I always use a shield so I never get hit by them so I feel sorry for the archers

• @fdsdh1:

I have to agree, you can’t be good at melee and have range its not really fair

you either troll from affar, or you wipe the stupid troll grin off someones face with a mace, not both

but I think bows are underpowered, I always use a shield so I never get hit by them so I feel sorry for the archers

Let me show you this little thing called Arrow to the Knee ;) I am loving the hit detection.

• @SlyGoat:

@Zeroace:

Funny thing is, I didn’t notice it at first, but the more you play the warbow the more you notice it’s drop seems to be more than the previous patch, whether intended or not, it does seem to drop a lot quicker making it more of a skilled archer’s weapon choice when doing long range.

However the Xbow went from a small drop at range to Barely any drop at all, so easy to aim etc.

Either way, didn’t fix any actual balance issues, normal xbow and warbow still better ones :P

• @The:

@VedicIntent:

@The Algerian:

Yes it should. You’re shooting people from miles away, there’s so reason you should be all ready for close combat when one of them gets the drop on you. It’s a simple matter of balance, and it’s all about making a choice, either firing one more bolt/arrow or facing him with your dagger.

This. I like playing archer from time to time, but doing so really requires that you keep checking your flanks and refrain from tunnelvision. I force myself to rearrange every 2 shots otherwise I find that always end up getting flanked.

EDIT: “every “2” shots”

• @Rognik:

I like the changes to bow mechanics for the most part, but being able to stop drawing the bow string would be very nice.

Switch to your melee weapon and immediately back to your bow to bypass this issue. Bows themselves are still far more powerful than crossbows, who are mainly relegated to sniping unaware archers (and MAA for heavy crossbow). This is as crossbows are generally only useful for opponents that can die in a single hit, while warbows are usable against opponents such as knights and vanguards which require multiple shots.

• @The:

@VedicIntent:

@The Algerian:

its so much simplier then that. you have a bow, in real life try shouldering a bow, putting an arrow back in a quiver and drawing a dagger. it takes time and thats why it takes 2 seconds. its not just drawing a dagger. balence aside its just logical it should take time to do that.

i play arhcer in mid range (as in enough time to fire 1/2 arrows at a charging enemy before they reach me . i stand a little behind the front line i feel thats where bows should be. and i have no problem with drawing my dagger and cutting people up. to many archers play sniper and have tunnel vision, their inability to deal with it is what gets them killed.

• I would like to have some sort of option when a Vanguard is charging me from the front, besides pulling out my bread knife and trying to poke him with that thing.

How about beeing able to block ONCE with a Crossbow or Bow, which then would make the Bow/Crossbow temporarily unusable (5-10sec), or even destroy it completely which would require to go to an ammo storage to get a new one, in return for a successful block one would get a quicker draw of the secondary weapon (0.5sec)?
    That would in some situations allow for a last shot to be fired, and a chanche not to get split into two pieces through a onehit overdraw from a screaming vanguard. :?