Chivalry User Experience Study: Results

• Hi

Some of you may remember or have taken part in the User Experience study of chivalry which I ran. Well the study has been written up and the questionnaire results compared with an analysis of user data from the forums. Its all in the report below.

Report: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12677282/standalone-chiv.pdf

The ‘take home message’ of the report is that the users felt a greater sense of social engagement with their enemies than with their team-mates, and that players attribute this decreased sense of social presence to either the game its self or other players.

I did not include too many assumptions about why the results were as they were because I wanted the report to be just that, a report of user experience. However one could explore the various social psychology theories that are potentially involved if one were so inclined :)

Thanks again to all you took part

• Neato! Psychology or human computer interaction? Do you plan to publish it?

• @Frisky_Bishop:

Hi

Some of you may remember or have taken part in the User Experience study of chivalry which I ran. Well the study has been written up and the questionnaire results compared with an analysis of user data from the forums. Its all in the report below.

The ‘take home message’ of the report is that the users felt a greater sense of social engagement with their enemies than with their team-mates, and that players attribute this decreased sense of social presence to either the game its self or other players.

I did not include too many assumptions about why the results were as they were because I wanted the report to be just that, a report of user experience. However one could explore the various social psychology theories that are potentially involved if one were so inclined :)

I am sorry, I’m not very familiar with social studies (I am an actual scientist, of physical sciences…) I read the first four pages and I’m sorry to conclude that this is garbage. And if it ISN’T garbage, it was written as garbage. How you decided that it was good enough for others to see baffles me.

• @ReMixx:

Neato! Psychology or human computer interaction? Do you plan to publish it?

This is HCI based, its part of a social presence questionnaire development study. It might be published as part of a paper once more validation has been done.

@acrh2:

@Frisky_Bishop:

Hi

[snip]

I am sorry, I’m not very familiar with social studies (I am an actual scientist, of physical sciences…) I read the first four pages and I’m sorry to conclude that this is garbage. And if it ISN’T garbage, it was written as garbage. How you decided that it was good enough for others to see baffles me.

1. this is a simple report of the data, this is not meant to be a tour de force

2. lol typical ‘scientist’ self importance, go count some numbers, leave the humans to the HCI people. I assume you know nothing about the various methodologies which have been developed over the years to study users and humans in general, content analysis, sociology, conversation analysis, semiotics, etc, but I’m sure you know plenty about doing algebra … which is really useful for understanding human experience of virtual environments u_u if you are an academic I pity you

god bless the internet

• @Frisky_Bishop:

@ReMixx:

Neato! Psychology or human computer interaction? Do you plan to publish it?

This is HCI based, its part of a social presence questionnaire development study.

Aha! I knew it! :)

• @acrh2:

Hey, I’m a scientist on the internet too. I had originally hypothesized that you were a douchebag. After many experiments and tests, it turns out that my theories were 100% correct.

• @acrh2:

@Frisky_Bishop:

Hi

I’m a scientist too. You seem to have forgotten the basic rule of science…… NEVER GO FULL RETARD

• Pretty much all of sociology and other social sciences are bullshit.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

• I just finished a study about how awesome pizza rolls are…

• The ‘take home message’ of the report is that the users felt a greater sense of social engagement with their enemies than with their team-mates

This result agrees with my feelings about the game.

The opponants you fight against, you get to see what they are like, test their steel. You get a sense for who are really skilled, who are really sneaky. etc

But for my teammates, other than tks, i dont really learn much about them.

Hopefully that will change. I think the mechanics of the game really support team playing. Sticking together in pairs is a great strategy for success. I think in time, as everyone comes to learn they are much better off pairing up with a teammate, it will become a lot more common. And that will add to the social engagement of the game.

• @labia:

Pretty much all of sociology and other social sciences are bullshit.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

Go hump a calculator.