Teamattacking vanguards

• Vanguards are Chivalry’s version of Team Fortress’ Spy class. They look like team mates, but there’s a significant chance they’ll end up stabbing you in the back.
    No seriously, it seems every second Vanguard player can’t take his own team into consideration and ends up hitting 2 or 3 team mates before he gets anywhere close to hitting an enemy. When I play with a friend of mine the word “Vanguard” has essentially replaced “I got teamkilled!” in our vocabulary.
    I’ve even taken this to my advantage by backpedaling when I face 2 vanguards on my own, they’ll often do much of the work for me, so I only have to finish them off!

It’s getting pretty ridiculous. Be careful where you point those sticks.

• You could replace “vanguard” with any class. The problem is kill-hungry players that tunnel vision on an opponent and start LMB swinging when a couple of team mates are close by. Vanguards, I guess, take a little more heat because they can swing weapons that have a lot of reach. However, it’s just as annoying when a careless friendly Knight come swooping in while swinging an axe or maul with reckless abandon.

I avoid the situation by not taking part in huge ganks. I figure 2-3 of my team mates can handle that single opponent, and I look for trouble elsewhere. That way I don’t get cut to pieces by team mates that don’t realize that horizontal attacks aren’t very wise to use when team mates are standing next to them.

• I tend to kill a lot of people by accident by sticking my halberd through enemies into friendlies… It’s not my fault that enemies are always so squishy!! :x

• @HammeredBarnacle:

You could replace “vanguard” with any class. The problem is kill-hungry players that tunnel vision on an opponent and start LMB swinging when a couple of team mates are close by. Vanguards, I guess, take a little more heat because they can swing weapons that have a lot of reach. However, it’s just as annoying when a careless friendly Knight come swooping in while swinging an axe or maul with reckless abandon.

I avoid the situation by not taking part in huge ganks. I figure 2-3 of my team mates can handle that single opponent, and I look for trouble elsewhere. That way I don’t get cut to pieces by team mates that don’t realize that horizontal attacks aren’t very wise to use when team mates are standing next to them.

I think the problem is the long reach of vanguard weapons. Perhaps the class itself also attracts LMB noobs somehow.
    I also avoid dogpile situations, but the problem is that even in a 1 on 1 they often run in and ruin everything. Often they’ll even charge attack and only hit their own guy. It’s often a guy who’s running in from spawn and gets in the fight that does the team attacking.
    @ReMixx:

I tend to kill a lot of people by accident by sticking my halberd through enemies into friendlies… It’s not my fault that enemies are always so squishy!! :x

It is your fault that you can’t take team mates into account. Try being more considerate.

Also, this game doesn’t punish teamkills enough at all.

• I play as a vanguard from time to time (when switching from knight or archer, for variety) and I teamkill extremely rarely, in comparison with other vanguards, two handed knights or even archers. Is that so most likely because I use spear as main weapon. On occasions my thrust comes through an enemy and kills a friendly or an ally jumps under the tip of the spear while I am attacking, but the real problem is not the vanguard nor the weapons, but the people themselves who play them: if you swing mindlessly left and right, hoping to hit you’re bound to cause caollateral damage.

• This game is a hot seller and more and more new players are joining all the time. Just relax and accept the incidental TKs from noobies. Tell them nicely to watch it and don’t Votekick every TKer when they are under rank 10 :-p

• My favorite are the ones that lose track of the enemy then continue flailing around while they try to find them again, even though the enemy is often dead already.

• @BGrey:

My favorite are the ones that lose track of the enemy then continue flailing around while they try to find them again, even though the enemy is often dead already.

Some times that’s still an accident. People don’t realize how easy it is to queue up attacks. If you don’t press Feint you are swinging again. I’ve killed friendlies plenty of times because I didn’t release I started a combo and it finishes after the enemy is dead and my ally is in my sights.

• It’s pretty easy to avoid this. Avoid servers with a lot of players with single digit ranks . ;)

• @soamd:

Also, this game doesn’t punish teamkills enough at all.

Exactly, they should make a TK cost be -2 kill and -20 score.
    Then people will start watching what they’re doing instead of acting like they’re sorry but really aren’t.

• I agree people should watch their swings, BUT also be aware when you are coming in to “help”. If im dueling a guy 1v1 i may very well use a swing, if you decide to sneak up beside me you may get hit. Give people some room to fight, or attack from a different side. Standing right beside your teammate is not smart.

• Yep, I just try not to go in where there are 3 or more people fighting… Those are TK’s ready to happen.

• @Kimiko:

Yep, I just try not to go in where there are 3 or more people fighting… Those are TK’s ready to happen.

I actually use TK to my advantage when I’m up against several players.
    Last time I was 1 vs 4, made two of them die by the sword of their mates, killed one while he was recovering from his swing on his teamate and duelled the last one.

So yeah, it’s really not clever to get involved in a 2 or more vs 1 fight.

• @The:

I actually use TK to my advantage when I’m up against several players.
    Last time I was 1 vs 4, made two of them die by the sword of their mates, killed one while he was recovering from his swing on his teamate and duelled the last one.

So yeah, it’s really not clever to get involved in a 2 or more vs 1 fight.

Haha yes, I’ve done this as well… I just mean I don’t want to accidentally TK my own teammates! It’s great though when you are the lone survivor of 4 of them and they TK each other frantically trying to get you.

• vanguards are more reason to take that class out and bring in anything with weapons in 2 hands, like 2 dagger class.

• Vanguard class is fine. All classes team kill/hurt. Especially Knights with 2 handers.

Good Vanguards maintain distance from enemies when engaging . If you are running in (Knights and MAA looking at you) in order to try to help (read kill steal) then of course you’re gonna get hit. Situational awareness is key.

I for one avoid friendly knights like the plague for the same reason OP seems to dislike Vanguards. Hammers and swords flopping about without a care in the world.

I’m more inclined to believe team killing and hurting is a symptom of many new players rather than any particular class not caring. Perhaps new players are attracted to the Vanguard class for some strange reason. Maybe its the sexy outfit?

• TK the way it is right now is fine. It gives realism and besides it doesn’t matter if you’re rank 2 or 20; you will accidently kill your teammates sometimes.

On the other hand, you can’t blame me if you die getting stabbed in the back by me with a halberd if I keep my distance and you Sidestrafe everywhere, eventually into one of my halberd thrusts. Besides, TKing can easily be avoided with aiming upwards mid-swing.

Remove vanguard class? I think you’re just butthurt that your friendly vanguards suck and enemy vanguards are good. How is adding a dual wielding class a solution? That class will be capable of TK and WILL TK. If you want to remove a class for TK, then remove every class save MAA.

In fact, I find knights to be the one doing most of the team killing, not vanguards. It’s unavoidable that I accidently TK 3-4 times in a 24 man fuckfest. I can’t count the times I’ve been hit by friendly knights in a 3 on 1 gank, especially after I bag the enemy with a thrust. I would get hit 2 times always after I kill the enemy, bringing me down to half health cuz knights aren’t done LMB spamming. Saying that vanguards are the source of excessive TKing, is frankly baseless. I think that vanguard is the weakest class right now, due to the low skill ceiling- they can’t compete in high level plays against MAA and knights, and they are the pincushion of archers.

• @McT:

I’m more inclined to believe team killing and hurting is a symptom of many new players rather than any particular class not caring. Perhaps new players are attracted to the Vanguard class for some strange reason. Maybe its the sexy outfit?

Or maybe the fact that vangurad class is the most rewarding for noobs who mash lmb to get kills.

• I mostly get TK’d by Archers. Haven’t been killed by a vanguard more than once or twice in a game yet. Try to watch where you’re going, if you run into a Vanguard fighting two or three enemies for example, chances are he won’t give a fuck and keep cleaving. It’s your job to stay at range and avoid being hit, while at the same time picking the enemies off with a few stabs ;)

• @Slaughtervomit:

@McT:

Or maybe the fact that vangurad class is the most rewarding for noobs who mash lmb to get kills.

How you figure that out? Vanguard is the worst class for noobs. No shield and it takes moderate amounts of skill to be good with. I would suggest noob vanguards are some of the easiest fooder on the battlefield.

Although from a team hurt perspective you may be correct.