Does winning actually matter?

• What determines rank ups? Is it kills, score, or something else? Let’s say both players are rank 29, which one will be closer to 30, the one who killed 40 players and has 400 score at the end of a match, or the one who killed 20 but has 450 score, due to completing objectives?

Let’s say the system works using score. Is there any bonus score for winning a TO game? Something like 50 bonus score points for a win? If there is, why is it not shown at the end of a game on the scoreboard?

-Ignore the suggestion below if there is already a system in place rewarding a win. Still let me know what actually determines how fast you rank up though, don’t just leave me hangin :(

Suggestion

If there exists no difference between winning and losing when it comes to ranking up, my suggestion is to implement something that like that.

It has to be something which would motivate players to try and actually win the games rather than running around killing random people, but not so compelling that the losing team would feel like they wasted their time. It should feel like a bonus when you win, and not a punishment when you lose.

My suggestion is to multiply the score (or whatever determines the rank up) by 1.15 if you win. That would not only motivate players to play better since the bonus score they receive is calculated by how much THEY contributed to the win, and prevent slackers who just joined for the chance at the free 50-100~ bonus points. If you score 400 your bonus would be 60, if you score 100 your only bonus would be 15.

-If there isn’t a system already in place, let me know what you think of the above method. And why do you think it would/would not work.-

Thanks!

• Edit: Woops, moved to a suggestion forum people can actually see :)

Currently only kills and assists progress ranks, regardless of wins or losses.

• @SlyGoat:

Edit: Woops, moved to a suggestion forum people can actually see :)

Currently only kills and assists progress ranks, regardless of wins or losses.

Assists you say? I didn’t even know assists were being tracked… So score has 0 impact on the ranks?

PS: What do you think of Wins/Losses making a difference?

• No reason to win atm, other than bragging rights… There should be unlocks in the future based on “exp” and get more “exp” from winning rather than losing? :)

• I’m pretty sure assists are tracked on the tab menu towards the bottom.

• @Slaughtervomit:

No reason to win atm, other than bragging rights… There should be unlocks in the future based on “exp” and get more “exp” from winning rather than losing? :)

Unlocks? No, what I meant was the ranking system :) As in you will rank (level) based on your SCORE in the game (not kills/assists), and you will receive bonus score (experience) for winning a match :)

I’m game for Unlocks being rewarded faster if you win as well though. What unlocks are we talking here? Weapons? That couldn’t work since that has to be on a kill/assist basis. I would love for some new cosmetic stuff to be unlocked through score (experience) though. Such as new helmets, weapon/shield re-skins etc.

• @Izlude:

I’m pretty sure assists are tracked on the tab menu towards the bottom.

That’s pretty cool, never noticed. I’d still prefer ranking to be calculated through score though. Makes more sense, shouldn’t be too hard to re-balance average FFA/TDM score.

• @Shenron:

@Slaughtervomit:

No reason to win atm, other than bragging rights… There should be unlocks in the future based on “exp” and get more “exp” from winning rather than losing? :)

Unlocks? No, what I meant was the ranking system :) As in you will rank (level) based on your SCORE in the game (not kills/assists), and you will receive bonus score (experience) for winning a match :)

I’m game for Unlocks being rewarded faster if you win as well though. What unlocks are we talking here? Weapons? That couldn’t work since that has to be on a kill/assist basis. I would love for some new cosmetic stuff to be unlocked through score (experience) though. Such as new helmets, weapon/shield re-skins etc.

I completely agree! Cosmetic stuff showing how much work I put into being a maul weilding maniac would be great!

• I’m sure as more elements get added to the gameplay dynamic, the room for rank up diversity will greatly increase. It’s just a matter of time, really.

• It’ll get there eventually!

And as for winning… YES, it always matters! WIN OR DIE… ;)

• Winning matters because that’s what you’re playing to accomplish. Honestly, if you need another reason than I think you’re probably playing the wrong game.

• Just to clarify. To rank up you need a certain number of kills/assists? Are assists worth as much as kills?

@Insurance:

Winning matters because that’s what you’re playing to accomplish. Honestly, if you need another reason than I think you’re probably playing the wrong game.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have some sort of prize for winning other than personal satisfaction? I don’t need another reason, you can’t deny it would be -better- though. It’s actually kind of shocking to me that winning a match doesn’t reward anything. I’ve never seen/heard of anything like this to be honest :?

• @Insurance:

Winning matters because that’s what you’re playing to accomplish. Honestly, if you need another reason than I think you’re probably playing the wrong game.

I am playing to crush everyone’s heads. Team objective just ensures that people with gather at certain points for their demise. I think a prize for winning is a good idea! I want to be rewarded for my efforts.

• @Shenron:

Just to clarify. To rank up you need a certain number of kills/assists? Are assists worth as much as kills?

Yes, that is correct. And no, assists aren’t as much as kills, but still counts for sure.

• @Insurance:

Well honestly, in TO I feel that as a defender winning isn’t really fun. I don’t want the rounds to end that fast since fighting around objectives is so much fun.

But that’s another topic actually…

• @Shenron:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have some sort of prize for winning other than personal satisfaction? I don’t need another reason, you can’t deny it would be -better- though. It’s actually kind of shocking to me that winning a match doesn’t reward anything. I’ve never seen/heard of anything like this to be honest :?

I have to agree with you on this point. I have won and continue to win any FFA I join. I am the leader in team objective on my team in kills, assists and points. I really think they should start rewarding us with something. Right now the bragging rights that people have been talking about aren’t really there, because I don’t see where anyone can see where I have won all these matches.

• @Shenron:

Just to clarify. To rank up you need a certain number of kills/assists? Are assists worth as much as kills?

@Insurance:

Kills are worth 200 assists are worth 100. Don’t ask me why it isn’t just 2 and 1, or 10 and 5 like it is for in-game score.

Anyway, the problem with score being the determining factor for ranking up is it heavily favors Team Objective maps and certain playstyles in ranking. The guy who rushes the objective and lets his team fight off the enemy while he slaughters peasants isn’t necessarily better than those doing the fighting, but he’ll be ranking up extremely fast.

Just look at score differentials in TO vs. other game modes. Unless a player is clearly much better than other players in a game mode like LTS, he won’t have a much higher score. In TO however you’ll often see a very low ranking player topping the scoreboard by a huge margin because he’s standing on the objective while his team is doing the fighting.

• If winning does not matter, than why everybody tries to?

• @Kulin_ban:

If winning does not matter, than why everybody tries to?

Do they? Often enough I’m playing with a team that gets itself cought in meaningless fights with guys far away from any objectives.

• Just look at score differentials in TO vs. other game modes. Unless a player is clearly much better than other players in a game mode like LTS, he won’t have a much higher score. In TO however you’ll often see a very low ranking player topping the scoreboard by a huge margin because he’s standing on the objective while his team is doing the fighting.

Yep, I did think of that. As I’ve said, I doubt it would be too difficult to balance this out. Kills being worth more score in FFA/LTS, depending on the mode.

Though I’ve just realized something. Rank ups don’t even have to be calculated by score for this method to work. If a kill is worth 200 and an assist 100, it would be just as easy to award bonus points to the winner. Same principle, but it doesn’t have to make TO or any other mode vastly superior. I seem to remember the devs mentioning they wanted to make it much easier for players to tell the amount of experience needed to rank up. That would make even more sense then. Just seeing that experience bar, or whatever they decide on fill up 5% after you win, would feel so much more rewarding. It’s not a carrot on a stick, you already have the carrot if you won, it’s just some water to wash it down :)