Why no 1h nerf yet???

• If you are going to allow 1h to be nearly unblockable (the stun delay aka no parrying = longer than it takes for 1hander to attack you more than once, so you can get chain stunned with zero chance of blocking once you get hit once). Perhaps this is not the case on LAN but it most certainly is on even 60 ping.

It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever that 1handers are a 2-3 shot. They should be 4-5 shot if they are going to be able to chain stun people. (talking about damage to a knight)

Patch is decent with the balance fixes, but it honestly makes no sense to have 1handers do NEARLY as much damage as 2handers, and FAR more damage than a spear.

The biggest fix would simply be to make it require 1-2 more hits to kill with these OP 1handers.

After a couple hours playing the game after not having played for over 3 weeks, I remember why I got “sick” of this game. Too many people playing 1hander it just wasn’t any fun.

• I’m a big 2h user (mostly maul) and I would agree on some 1 handed weapons… The warhammer for example for knights… Waaaaay OP. 2 hits kills another knight? Guess how many hits maul takes to kill a knight… 2! So you’re telling me a warhammer should kill in the same number of hits as a maul, swing faster, and allow shield usage???

• This is so obvious. There is no point in playing most of the 2 handed weapons in this game, because when you swing and fail to hit you know you’re dead to any player who spamswings his 1 handed weapon.
    Maul should one hit on overheads when playing vs knights, one hit vanguards on overheads and “slash” and one hit every light armour on any type of attack…
    If this is not going to happen at least nerf the damn one haded weapons so that being heavy armored and playing a different thing makes matches even.
    I had a hard time on spear too. Why is it that you have such low damage? Why some swords have the same reach or even more? In my opinion spears and similar weapons should have passive damage when people run to you if your weapon is between you and them, if you can’t hold the distance what’s the point of using a weapon just able to do half decent damage on thrust???

• If you are going to allow 1h to be nearly unblockable (the stun delay aka no parrying)

Stopping you here. The only stun in the game that stops you from blocking/parrying is a kick/shield bash, and that pushes you far enough away that you can still get your block back up before the enemy hits you.

Patch is decent with the balance fixes, but it honestly makes no sense to have 1handers do NEARLY as much damage as 2handers, and FAR more damage than a spear.

Because in every situation other than duels, reach is more important than speed. It allows your group to use teamwork to kill enemies before they can even get a hit in.

The warhammer for example for knights… Waaaaay OP. 2 hits kills another knight? Guess how many hits maul takes to kill a knight… 2!

That’s the most skewed example you could bring up. The warhammer 2 hits archers, MAAs, and vanguards class regardless of where you hit them and how, and considering it’s somewhat slow speed and low reach, that’s not too impressive. Meanwhile, a maul overhead one shots archers and MAAs, and a headshot kills vanguards. You have a meaningful choice here. If you want to one shot 3/4 classes in the game, pick the maul. If you want to counter knights but be only half-decent against everything else, pick the warhammer.

I had a hard time on spear too. Why is it that you have such low damage?

The spear is a teamwork weapon; you aren’t meant to win duels with them. What you do is stick near your allies and poke at everyone who tries to hit them. The idea is that a single enemy can no longer safely get to you because you would just parry his attack while he gets cut down by your friends, and if they all ignore you then you just get tons of safe, free attacks at your super range.

• ^
    Well said

• The warhammer for example for knights… Waaaaay OP. 2 hits kills another knight? Guess how many hits maul takes to kill a knight… 2!

That’s the most skewed example you could bring up. The warhammer 2 hits archers, MAAs, and vanguards class regardless of where you hit them and how, and considering it’s somewhat slow speed and low reach, that’s not too impressive. Meanwhile, a maul overhead one shots archers and MAAs, and a headshot kills vanguards. You have a meaningful choice here. If you want to one shot 3/4 classes in the game, pick the maul. If you want to counter knights but be only half-decent against everything else, pick the warhammer.

So it 2 shots every class including knights? Why does it take the same amount of hits to kill someone with more armor than the rest of the classes? Should be 3 hits at least…

• @Slaughtervomit:

The warhammer for example for knights… Waaaaay OP. 2 hits kills another knight? Guess how many hits maul takes to kill a knight… 2!

@u3q3lv8m:

So it 2 shots every class including knights? Why does it take the same amount of hits to kill someone with more armor than the rest of the classes? Should be 3 hits at least…

Yup. There needs to be a bigger difference here between weapons/classes. Having people take too few hits destroys the differences between weapons and removes meaningful choice. It also makes it easier for people to spam and get away with flailing, which is not a playstyle the game should encourage IMO.

• I’m sorry but ive played both 1h and 2h, theyre both completely independent.

2 has the range, 1 doesn’t.

Also don’t forget to kick, dodge….this will help you incredibly.

• @ZorisX:

I’m sorry but ive played both 1h and 2h, theyre both completely independent.

2 has the range, 1 doesn’t.

Also don’t forget to kick, dodge….this will help you incredibly.

I agree.
    God know I’m aware of how much getting killed by a 1h spam can be frustrating, but you shouldn’t hate the player, nor the game. I let him come too close, it’s my own fault.

• From what I have gathered from my 40 hours in game and reading this post by the OP, it looks like somebody needs to use their range. If a person uses a 1h weapon and closes the gap on a 2h user they should beat them. This is the case in a real combat situation from my experience in the SCA. If the 2h user keeps them at range they will win the fight every time. The only time I can spam swing a 1h and win a fight is when a 2h user continually moves forward as they are swinging and has no idea what the left mouse button does. Try backing up as you swing and see the incredibly short range of a mace or warhammer work against them.

The only weapons capable of crushing a knight are blunt weapons which is intended. It is not all 1h weapons that can do this. Swords and axes take a few more hits do down a knight. 1h are fine and 2h are more than capable of defeating them when used properly.

• Range is over-rated.
    Because this game doesn’t have weapon collision range is very easy to counter. Also, Maa has that cheap teleport called dodge.

equally skilled vanguard and maa would be a very booring fight because maa would beat vanguard every single time.
    For me, dodge doesn’t fit in and IMO it should be changed with something else.

• @Kenuric:

The only weapons capable of crushing a knight are blunt weapons which is intended. It is not all 1h weapons that can do this. Swords and axes take a few more hits do down a knight. 1h are fine and 2h are more than capable of defeating them when used properly.

So you would agree maul should 1 shot a knight? Or should warhammer match it in power in a fight between knights but warhammer gets the speed and shield usage and the maul barely has more reach?

It’s obvious I am a maul fan, but that is what gives me reason to question the reason warhammer is better in most ways (at least vs another knight)…

• I think the Maul vs. Warhammer is fine. If outright kills 3/4 of the classes, and brings knights low enough to kill them with a kick - Warhammer can’t claim the same.

I also think warhammer vs. other onehanders is fine too. Again, warhammer takes 2 hits to kill any class - almost every other onehander also takes 2 hits to kill any class except knights, but they do it faster. This puts the warhammer solidly as a knight counter, IMO, which is what it was intended to be. The only thing I would change about the warhammer is to slow down its combo speed a bit, since it has such a long recovery but not a very long combo time.

• I guess you’re right, Slygoat. I just really hate being killed by someone using that stupid thing when I know the maul and it’s sheer power should win!

• @Slaughtervomit:

I guess you’re right, Slygoat. I just really hate being killed by someone using that stupid thing when I know the maul and it’s sheer power should win!

Love between a man and a weapon. Tonight’s episode: “Slaughtervomit and the Maul”

• @The:

@Slaughtervomit:

I guess you’re right, Slygoat. I just really hate being killed by someone using that stupid thing when I know the maul and it’s sheer power should win!

Love between a man and a weapon. Tonight’s episode: “Slaughtervomit and the Maul”

Hey that’s rated TV MA for sexual images and language! Don;t forget violence! :D

• Lets look at the pros and cons of the best 1 handed weapons:

Pros:

• Dane Axe, Mace and Warhammer in specific here, are harder to parry due to having to aim precisely at the tip of the weapon.

• Further upon this, overheads attack don’t come directly from overhead, but instead from slightly to the right side (in your vision). This makes it further more disorienting to parry.

• Attacks faster than 2 handed weapons.

• Most 1-handers deal almost as much damage as two handed weapons, some doing even more (depending on the target).

• Feints with two handed weapons are cheap and overpowered in my opinion, but beyond this, they are amplified tenfold when used with fast one handed weapons. Due to having to use considerable reflexes to parry a normal attack, there is absolutely no time whatsoever to wait an determine if it’s a normal attack or a feint.

• Shields allow immunity to feint.

Cons:

• Slightly less damage, sometimes.

• Less reach, the only significant disadvantage.

That’s it.

Does this seem balanced? It really doesn’t to me.

I think this issue is in large part due to the game being balanced around team play, not dueling. Sucks for the highly skilled players who really just want to duel.

@Kenuric:

From what I have gathered from my 40 hours in game and reading this post by the OP, it looks like somebody needs to use their range. If a person uses a 1h weapon and closes the gap on a 2h user they should beat them. This is the case in a real combat situation from my experience in the SCA. If the 2h user keeps them at range they will win the fight every time. The only time I can spam swing a 1h and win a fight is when a 2h user continually moves forward as they are swinging and has no idea what the left mouse button does. Try backing up as you swing and see the incredibly short range of a mace or warhammer work against them.

I’m a knight. I have a kite shield and falchion equipped. I’m approaching you, as a Vanguard, with a pike. You cannot feint me. Kicking does nothing as I can block before your hit will land and just move forward again, you just lost stamina.

There is NOTHING you can do to prevent me from closing the distance between us. Not a single thing. If I didn’t have a shield, you might be able to feint me, maybe’. But that’s a different discussion.

The point is simple, the game isn’t balanced around 1v1 for all classes and weapon layouts. Some ARE superior, indeed to quite an extent in some cases, than others.

• A quick reply to whoever seemed to find it problematic to do Warhammer versus maul. Simple difference between 97 dmg on head from maul and 60 ( or something ) from the warhammer.
    In a fight were both will just LMB spam, its clearly that the warhammer wins more, since the maul is slow, but if you start using a technique, you can easily win against a warhammer user.

Basically, if you take one hit from his warhammer, you CAN step back and regenerate enough to take another blow from him without actually dying. But if you hit him once in the head, you will bring him down to 3 HP, then you can jusy kick-spam him to death, trade hits or change to a fast weapon / fists.
    See the big difference? After the first hit on your opponent, he will most likely die to the next from the Maul.

• It is not just the unballanced fast 1 handers . There are much more issues .
    The gameplay is stiff in 1vs1 & it is not just 1vs1 .

& the exploit with the one handers should be some of the first to deal with , but they didn’t show anything giving hope for doing so …

Not to try to predict negative outcome , but it is the way for now it looks like .

• @UnknownXV:

I’m a knight. I have a kite shield and falchion equipped. I’m approaching you, as a Vanguard, with a pike. You cannot feint me. Kicking does nothing as I can block before your hit will land and just move forward again, you just lost stamina.

There is NOTHING you can do to prevent me from closing the distance between us. Not a single thing. If I didn’t have a shield, you might be able to feint me, maybe’. But that’s a different discussion.

The point is simple, the game isn’t balanced around 1v1 for all classes and weapon layouts. Some ARE superior, indeed to quite an extent in some cases, than others.

There are thing you can do, for instance…attacking the person and causing them to flinch. If a knight is coming at a vanguard swinging or even with a shield up and he side steps the knight then thrusts at him he stops the knights movement forward for a short amount of time. If he continues his movement while the knight is stunned he has successfully made a gap again. Not to mention a knight has to lower his shield at some point to see where the vanguard is, if you are playing on a server that isn’t first person only than that is a different story. It is overpowered to be able to have a tower shield raised all the time and be able to track your enemy though you should be blinded.