Holding Feint button should initiate attacks from left side

• As it is right now, there is no way to initiate attacks from left side. You have to complete right swing for combo to activate left swing animation.

What I suggest is this:

• holding feint/parry button and than pressing attack button would initiate left swing or left overhead attack

• combo would resume to loop but, in this case, from left to right.

• canceling regular attack by pressing and holding feint/parry button and than pressing attack button again would initiate attack from left side.

This would only add more depth to current combat system, but without modifying anything to how game is played so far. Maybe it would not be too hard to implement either.

• Holding Q then pressing left mouse button sounds like a good way to implement left->right swings. Another option would be middle mouse, I don’t think it is used for anything but arrow-cam.

This would definately change the combat, in a good way. I tend to parry/block for my teammates by standing to the left of them, blocking incoming predictable right-left swings.

• I don’t think so.

• @Kulin_ban:

What I suggest is this:

• holding feint/parry button and than pressing attack button would initiate left swing or left overhead attack

The moment you press parry, you parry. Feinting is another story but feint/parry on the same button is a very good change just made by the most recent patch and shouldn’t be touched imho. If you want to do so go ahead, but having parry/feint on the same button must stay possible, which it is not with your proposed changes. A way for left swings/overheads as first attack would be nice though.

• Many a times have I longed to strike from left to right to get around a bloody shield without resorting to the obvious “here comes the pain” overhead strike. I like the idea of holding feint and then striking should initiate left to right swing

• Souds like an interesting change of pace, it goes however against the realism the developers try to add to the game I think. As a right-handed character your weapon would have to ‘teleport’ to the left first. Unless you start out as a left-handed character you would first have to move your weapon to the left side to initiate a slash from here. The time it takes to do this is the same as a slash I guess, so enough time to get hit yourself. In that case it would not be an advantage.

• @SirJire:

Souds like an interesting change of pace, it goes however against the realism the developers try to add to the game I think. As a right-handed character your weapon would have to ‘teleport’ to the left first. Unless you start out as a left-handed character you would first have to move your weapon to the left side to initiate a slash from here. The time it takes to do this is the same as a slash I guess, so enough time to get hit yourself. In that case it would not be an advantage.

I don’t see why it would be a problem to swing from left to right even for a right-handed wielder. It’s as simple as a backhand, you move the weapon to the left and then swing, rather than hanging back and then swinging. I see no reason why a weapon should need to teleport to make a backhand swing

• @Falc:

The moment you press parry, you parry.

I see what you are saying here, but pressing attack while holding parry should obviously cancel the parry immediately. Attacks are happening in split seconds anyways, so there would be no time for a block animation to even finish. Also, maybe there should be a separate function called “Attack modifier” that you can bind to a key, but it should definitely work in combination with feint/parry key.

@SirJire:

As a right-handed character your weapon would have to ‘teleport’ to the left first.

In cases when you are pressing parry, weapon already moves to left a bit, so I don’t think it would be weird. It is somewhat of a technical issue, but I think that it is possible to fix it by adding couple of frames into the animation.

• Well, if it’s possible to do without your animations spazzing out I’m all for it :)

• @Kulin_ban:

@Falc:

The moment you press parry, you parry.

I see what you are saying here, but pressing attack while holding parry should obviously cancel the parry immediately. Attacks are happening in split seconds anyways, so there would be no time for a block animation to even finish. Also, maybe there should be a separate function called “Attack modifier” that you can bind to a key, but it should definitely work in combination with feint/parry key.

Cancelable parry is a super big no no. You need the recovery frames after the parry to be vulnerable. With your proposed change you could parry-parrycancel by attack-feint-parry. You could do a whole lot other stuff you’re not supposed to, so no. Attack modifier button is a good suggestion, but not in combination with parry/feint.

• Having too many separate keys is never good.

Block should be “cancelled” only if you managed to press attack button before block could be developed. I can press LMB right after RMB almost at the same time.

Having all attack/parry/feint controls on mouse is the way to go, IMO.

• @Kulin_ban:

Having too many separate keys is never good.

Block should be “cancelled” only if you managed to press attack button before block could be developed. I can press LMB right after RMB almost at the same time.

Having all attack/parry/feint controls on mouse is the way to go, IMO.

Parrying is instant. No matter how fast you can press parry is going to be faster than you :D