Enemy's attack not getting cancelled by hits?

• Did I miss something in the new patch? Today I was in a 4v4 game in team objective on the castle map, and doing really well with my falchion/kite shield setup (25-7, very long game). But there was this ONE guy on the enemy team who was able to continuously continue his double handed axe swings DESPITE the fact that I strike him with my fast sword in the MIDDLE of this swing. Now the first few times I just overlooked it, as I knew there is a bug out there. But EVERY SINGLE TIME I engaged this guy, which was quite a few times (15~ times?) because it was a small game and half the players were AFK, he is able to finish his swing despite my combos slashing his neck out DURING his swing charge up and release. He did not stumble once, and it looked pretty dumb as his swinging motio stayed perfect even though there was a knife in his goddamn throat.

I don’t want to accuse people of hacking or anything, but this is VERY suspicious. Like I said, NOT A SINGLE TIME did his swing stumble/get cancelled midway when I stuck a falchion down his throat as he charged up the swing. It always went through in perfect motion as if no one had struck him during the swing before his connected (which I always did, I always hit him way before his swing came to me thanks to me strafing, but it always finishes …)

I mean I only started using this 1H + shield setup over my beloved longsword because of the fact that I can absolutely destroy 2h wielders once I get in close thanks to fast combos, which theoretically would put my opponent on the defensive as he doesn’t have time to finish his cumbersome swings, but if the whole attack cancellation thing is gone then there is really no point…Though I might point out that all his other teammates did get their attacks cancelled midswing when I struck.

Was this a script kiddie or did the patch make it so that 2h axe wielders are invincible to attack-stumbles?

• Its been like this since ages.
    Since the beta for me (where i started playing)
    Annoying as fuck i know, leads to death just because you both attack trade hits, even though you started a little bit earlier with the attack.
    Would been more competitive where only the first hit will hit and flinch the other no mater when he attacked, but yeah i dont think thats ever gonna change.
    Can be greatly abused with 2h hammer

Animation got pretty buggy with this patch to be hones. Sometimes there is no animation and you get suddenly hit while he performs the combo attack animation sometimes the animation skips some frames etc… When we started to play after patch, there were about 10 people complaining about that in a server

• @janii:

Its been like this since ages.
    Annoying as fuck i know, leads to death just because you both attack trade hits, even though you started a little bit earlier with the attack.
    Would been more competitive where only the first hit will hit and flinch the other no mater when he attacked, but yeah i dont think thats ever gonna change.

So it’s meant to be part of the game?

• @ericdude88:

@janii:

Yeah and if i remember correctly, the dev said that in a interview that you can trade hits

• @janii:

@ericdude88:

@janii:

Yeah and if i remember correctly, the dev said that in a interview that you can trade hits

Then how come whenever this happens to me my attacks get cancelled? And also like I said all his other teammates got their attacks cancelled whenever I struck them first.

• Then how come whenever this happens to me my attacks get cancelled? And also like I said all his other teammates got their attacks cancelled whenever I struck them first.

There are two states when attacking: windup and release. Windup is when you are initiating the attack by getting the weapon in the right position. Release is when you actually swing the weapon to deal damage. If you get hit in an idle state or during your windup, you flinch, canceling your attack and causing you to be unable to launch a new attack for a second or so (but you can still parry, block and move).

If you get hit during release, you do not flinch. The weapon slice continues as if nothing happens. It’s a good thing it works like this too: If you have a 2 handed sword heading right toward your opponent’s neck, how would you feel if that momentum instantly stopped because you got stabbed by a butter knife? If this were “fixed”, all slow weapons in this game would be worthless.

It sounds like this guy in particular was just good at this game, and started his windups far enough away from you that you could never hit him in time before he transitioned into release state. Although there are some weird things going with flinching in general; check out this thread for more info on that.

• @RushSecond:

Then how come whenever this happens to me my attacks get cancelled? And also like I said all his other teammates got their attacks cancelled whenever I struck them first.

There are two states when attacking: windup and release. Windup is when you are initiating the attack by getting the weapon in the right position. Release is when you actually swing the weapon to deal damage. If you get hit in an idle state or during your windup, you flinch, canceling your attack and causing you to be unable to launch a new attack for a second or so (but you can still parry, block and move).

If you get hit during release, you do not flinch. The weapon slice continues as if nothing happens. It’s a good thing it works like this too: If you have a 2 handed sword heading right toward your opponent’s neck, how would you feel if that momentum instantly stopped because you got stabbed by a butter knife? If this were “fixed”, all slow weapons in this game would be worthless.

It sounds like this guy in particular was just good at this game, and started his windups far enough away from you that you could never hit him in time before he transitioned into release state. Although there are some weird things going with flinching in general; check out this thread for more info on that.

Thats what i mean. Even when you wind up, sometimes I dont get flinched. Im able to hit my enemy.
    Does not only happen to me but to many others i encountered. I think its a bug it doesent happen always, but still very often.

• This is just anecdotal, but sometimes I ‘feel’ that the windup is not being flinched, not always, but then I usually only close the gap once windup is done myself, so I assumed it was lag or something (ping around 20-40). So whether this is a bug or some weapon windups are nust too short, I don’t know. But i have apparently exprienced something similar to this effect.

• Some weapons just have a really short windup time…making it virtually impossible to flinch them. Add to that some weapons have a munch longer and slower wind-up/release, it can feel hopeless. It all depends on the weapon.

• @Jadarok:

Some weapons just have a really short windup time…making it virtually impossible to flinch them. Add to that some weapons have a munch longer and slower wind-up/release, it can feel hopeless. It all depends on the weapon.

Which weapons exactly? I’ve had this happening to me too (I mostly use the broadsword, no shield). Against people spamming LMB with various two handers it works 80-90% time as in I get a block in, he starts a new attack but my weapon being faster I hit him and he flinches, and eventually dies from the second or third strike. However sometimes the exact thing happens, except we’re standing there trading blows.

• It could be that the player has very high ping, in which case very odd things start to happen. I’m really not sure how it works, but the game does have some form of lag compensation. Due to this, they basically have to hit you on their screen, which may be significantly different than your screen. Keep an eye out for high ping players and be wary of them. Would be nice to get some kind of technical info about lag compensation. What happens when a player’s windup time is less than the time it takes to tell the server they want to swing? I have no idea. It might make flinching them near-impossible.

It could also be a bug, or that you just kept hitting this player after they released their swing. Trading blows as a knight is a legitimate strategy; it requires good timing and leverages your armor. Try ducking their strikes or parrying an attack so you are guaranteed to have a faster next strike than them.

Finally, there definitely are hackers in this game, but they tend to be fairly obvious, so be careful about accusing players of hacking. Just the other day, immediately after the patch, I ran into a vanguard who was moving at about double normal sprinting speed and swinging a Zweihander, also at about double speed, constantly. You could block him and then get hit about 1 second later. The worst part was I called a kickvote and it failed. I also once ran into an archer with the same hack (fast, and firing arrows like a machine gun) who we successfully kicked (“why is my own team voting against me?”, he cried).

• Agree that ping/lag/latency plays a role. Have to remember that what you see in your screen is not necessarily what the other player is seeing on theirs.

I started to get a little annoyed the other night when I was experiencing the same thing as OP. Then, I decided to let rationality take over and I realized that most of my issue boiled down to two things:

1. Latency.
    2. My own mistakes as a player, which I will conveniently blame on 1. :P