Servers Still Post False Player Count

• I can understand this being done on purpose to attract people to empty servers, I can live with that. But what I am noticing now is servers showing maxed out, but actually having half that. What is the purpose of this? All this does is detract people from joining it to begin with because they think it’s full. In fact I always try joining full servers now because I know they are not. I think I may have tried one server since release that was actually full.

Who’s fault is this and what can be done to fix it?

• It’s the game itself/server, not the server browser, I can at least say that much. It’s a bug.

• best one can do for now is when searching out a server to join right click on the server name and look at the players listed , the ones that say they have been there for crazy amount of hours “ie: 27 hours” are not actually there.

Seems to me whatever is in control of querrying the server info is not purging it or refreshing, thus relaying old info, sometimes DAYS old info.

with all due respect, we know it’s a bug…… do you know the fix or more importantly is a fix being sought?
    It is not a servers job to do this relaying of info btw ;) the problem lies elsewhere.
    almost like the info on join is being shown but its not relaying when players leave and just builds and builds on server joiners only.

I banned a guy today and he is still showing up as being on that server…lol so it never picked up the fact that he left.

btw, this issue does not prevent anyone from joining, if a server says 24/24 you can still join if there are actual slots open, although i see the point that many wont bother to try if they trust the count, but if its your clans server try it, you’ll prolly get in.

• It’s far more annoying on lower population servers (like dueling servers).

I have to join 3-4 on average before I find one that actually has players. I’d love to know that they aren’t populated before hand.

• @dirtyjob:

best one can do for now is when searching out a server to join right click on the server name and look at the players listed , the ones that say they have been there for crazy amount of hours “ie: 27 hours” are not actually there.

• After buying the game just a few days ago , this is the only thing I find annoying , because I havent been able to enter a server that is close to being full.Every server I go in has 10 players max, I want to experience a team objective or death match on a 32 player server but right now I cant rely on the player number for each server and I have to hop from server to server to find a somewhat populated one.

• @dirtyjob:

@dirtyjob:

best one can do for now is when searching out a server to join right click on the server name and look at the players listed , the ones that say they have been there for crazy amount of hours “ie: 27 hours” are not actually there.

So then it’s mostly multiplay. They also did this in TF2 (same thing, check server info -> fake players with 20+ hours on the server) until Valve did something about it.

• I wouldn’t mind except that when the server is registering as full, friends on steam are unable to join on you. It gives them a not enough invite space error.

• @Nerfed:

So then it’s mostly multiplay. They also did this in TF2 (same thing, check server info -> fake players with 20+ hours on the server) until Valve did something about it.

Yeah, Multiplay doesn’t exactly have a stirling reputation; there are a few complaints about them on the WotR forums as well. That said, I’ve had this problem with most of the servers I’ve played on recently - I assume they’re not all multiplay servers? If other servers have that problem as well, then I would have thought that it must be something to do with the game itself.

• Pretty much every server has this problem to some extent right now, if I try join a friends game from steam for instance, it will tell me that there’s 50/16 players on a duel server. This makes it incredibly difficult to join a server a friend is in, as servers often don’t come up at all in the server list even after multiple refreshes, and the ‘Open’ console command is not functional.

• @Nerfed:

@dirtyjob:

@dirtyjob:

ALL servers are having this issue, i have 4 servers by 3 different providers of which “multiplay” is NOT one of them.

as far as your tf2 reference, that was a totally different scenario where there was a server plugin called “fake clients” admins used for cs/css/dod/dods and tf2.

this issue is not caused by server admins it is a bug within the game .