Sprinting

• Hi im a big fan of this game and the mod. I still play it every so often and I was wondering how different the movement will be in Chivalry MW.

I’ve seen all the gameplay videos released including the one that shows dodging and leaping forward. But some players in Age of Chivalry sprint in bizarre patterns making sudden turns and also making themselves nearly impossible to hit with projectiles or melee weapons.I see this done mostly on the Man at Arms and Sergeant (fastest classes). This is the cowards way to fight and I really hope its not possible in your next game.

Will sprinting be in Chivalry and will people be able to Manipulate it like it is in the Mod? it makes no sense to have this primitive way of dodging in the game when there are actual dodge mechanics

• The devs have stated that the movement system, and the springting system with it, would be undergoing some revision, and that they do not want to duplicate the “dancing” you are referring to, either ranged or melee.

• Developer

We have implemented a ton of things to ensure that the best way to avoid attacks in the new game is not to abuse the movement system like it was in aoc. The way its setup now is essentially if you turn your back on your opponent hes going to catch you and your going to die.

That’s not to say footwork isn’t still very important, because it is. You have to manage the distance between yourself and your opponent so that your strike lands at the optimal time to be able to deal damage without receiving any. And evasion is something you can do with standard movement as well as the dodges and ducks but in a way that actually makes sense this time around. For instance a player with a halberd has the reach and will want to keep a farther distance between him and his opponent than a player with a mace, who wants to work inside his opponents reach and overwhelm him up close. There are a lot more factors involved than this but as a general response, yes we know that the movement system and sprinting in combat in aoc was flawed and it has been one of our top priorities to address that issue in chivalry.

• All I can say is IT’S AWESOME!

• So basically you added a realistic movement system where it takes time to make sharp turns such as running away from your opponent while facing him with your back?

• Developer

Yes, we’ve made it so that if you try to turn around at a full sprint you can’t just pull a 180 mid stride, you’ll have to gradually turn or come out of sprint. This makes for a much more realistic situation where you want to keep a careful eye on your opponent instead of zipping and zooming about turning on a dime.

• Can you not simply wheel around and immediately start sprinting, rather than attempting to sprint the entire way? That would achieve the same thing.

• Developer

Just like in real life it takes time to build to a full sprint, time that your enemy can use to plant an axe in the back of your skull.

• Sounds good. Looking forward to more footage.

• @Tibberius:

Yes, we’ve made it so that if you try to turn around at a full sprint you can’t just pull a 180 mid stride, you’ll have to gradually turn or come out of sprint. This makes for a much more realistic situation where you want to keep a careful eye on your opponent instead of zipping and zooming about turning on a dime.

As a player who used and still uses this technique sometimes I’d love to see something different (by receiving an axe in my back) as this playstyle has become everyone’s goal regarding skill (in AoC) which caused it to be very irritating eventually. Back in the days, this ability was a bit more unique in my opinion.

• Movement is a key to any FPS’er. I hope we can see this gradually change and add many exciting features. A dashed shield bash, for example. Perhaps even leaping and landing on players.

In all honesty we’re still in the stone age of player movement and this is an area Chivalry should take advantage of.

Saying that, I easily see the devs taking the “ignorant” my way or the highway approach and not allowing server side player movement options. Or if anything the highly stupid gravity jump only option. Because of this we always see “fake realistic” movement and highly limited player movement, the devs also stop working on player movement and we never get anything fresh or highly entertaining(The strafe jump, bunny-hop, dodging, etc). This has been a major cause of seperation in the community and simply players move to a different game, rather than finding the options they enjoy playing.

• yes this would be a nice feature such as sprint shield bashing and sprint charging with a weapon, say a pike. Would be pretty funny if they added a tripping system where a soldier with a two handed axe would throw the axe head around the enemies knee and pull back, tripping the enemy and leaving him temporarily defenseless.