Give Us More HP

• 1. Increased HP relative to weapon damage makes fights longer, and therefore more reliant on skill. If people get one-shot or two-shot, it’s very easy to nail a lucky shot or two and kill a much more skilled player, which is bad, because it decreases differentiation based on skill. If people take 3-6 shots and not 1-2,it is much harder to luck your way into 6 hits. (not saying I am good at all, more like saying I feel like I luck into kills but also die from luck as well :P )

2. If all weapons one shot all classes, there is no differentiation based on damage. BUT if Mauls do 100% and daggers do 1%, there is extreme variation in damage. Right now we are way closer to the first scenario, and I think we need to be closer to the second. Variation by damage provides meaningful differences between weapons and classes. Meaningful differences means more real choices for players. Increase HP to increase weapon choice.

• Have in mind that a skilled player can already dominate an unskilled one.

Also, if it took 5 hits to kill you, the game would be much less brutal. When someone is swinging a maul at you, you are supposed to shit your pants, not take the hit like a man. I think 1-2 shotting weapons add thrill to the fights.

• I don’t think you want more hp, as this would make individual combats too long. If you think you should need 6 hits to kill someone go take a hunting knife, it is quite annoying if someone takes that long to die. Skilled players will hit unskilled more often than being hit by them, I don’t see what changing the length of combat would change in this. If you know the next hit is going to kill you, you better avoid it.

Right now you can kill multiple opponents in 3v1 or 4v1 if the skill difference is high enough, because you can kill lower skilled enemies quite fast and thus turn the odds in your favor. You are not going to survive a xv1 situation if you don’t/can’t kill someone quickly. Sometime they will push you into a corner/surround you, which will ALWAYS happen if you give them enough time. Not even a MaA can avoid this.

So a clear no from me to more hp, but you have a point(which many others have claimed too) that weapon diversication suffers under 1/2/3 hit kills, but I rather have a fun game than many truly different weapons to choose from. As long as all weapons are viable they don’t have to be very distinct imho (I know many might disagree here). You just have to avoid some weapons being inferior in all important aspects to another (like thrusting dagger>hunting knife).

• Fights take long enough as it is, skilled vs skilled. But these damage variables are set in the server. So if you want to play like that, run your own server. =D

• First of all, a skilled player will never get hitted that easily in a 1 vs 1, and if he does get hit, it’s his own fault, luck doesnt play anything there.

if you feint at the wrong time and get hit, if you block at the wrong time and get hit, or if you just dont block at all, is always and always will be your fault.

The only thing that is “luck” is when you are about to kill someone and one of his buddies comes from behind and kills you, but thats something you deserve as you left enemies behind who could kill you, or they just spawned behind you.

Either way, what you say about having to give 5-6 hits to each guy to kill him is just wrong.

You already can take even 4 hits if enemies miss your chest area and you get hit in legs or something like that, and thats pretty much the way it should be.

Having to hit that many ammount of times the enemy only encourages players stealing kills from each other as battles would last longer than they should.

A battle is supposed to be fast paced, you get there, hit a couple of times, kill him, and get into the next enemy, and thats all.

• :x HELL NO!! :x

• -1 ….oh god please no! this is one of the worst sujestion ever in my book …

damnit this is sword fighting game!! its suppose to be quick and brutal ! not long and mosquito bites !

honestly , i dont want to be too rude but this must be the worst ideal ever sujested … even more worst than the bloody ninjas / assasins threads … this would completely kill the game for me if it were to be …
    ( and the duels are already long enough when you play againts someone who’s really good , my last duel lasted for almost 3 mins ( 3 real minutes! ) )

you got the fighting strategy backwards … the purpose is to parry / dodge the stikes …

( edit : and it already takes 4-5 hits to kill a knight as a MAA …)

• We have plenty of HP, especially when you can get out of a fight and wait for regen. I have already seen some people going for 20+ kills and zero deaths. The amount of Hp is fine. -1

• increasing hp is ridiculous, you have the ability to regenerate your hp now, learn to use your defenses wisely and stop swinging like a madman and save your stamina and you will dominate on the field of battle.

• So, a lots been said already on this but I’ll just put this here anyway …

Adding hp wouldn’t make things more skill based, it’d make things more forgiving
    It isn’t a situation of “I’d be more skilled if I could take more hits”
    being skilled is about perfecting both offense, defense and perception
    knowing what to do and being able to adapt when facing a new situation
    not how many kills you get before you’re cut down

Brutal but with the ability to defend against anything
    i think that’s a good way for chivalry to be.

• Increased HP would lead to even more kill-steals, tedious knight battles and would just make the game suck.

• Sorry, but big no. Vets have no problems dealing with inexperienced players, and fights between equally skilled players can go on for quite a bit. I assure you that HP isn’t the determining factor. More of it would just make fights longer, more drawn out, and less fun.

• No way! I want my maul to 1 shot people, not 3-4 shot them!!! :?

• I think kills should feasibly take 1-4 hits (maybe even 5 in extreme cases) instead of the current 1-3. It would help balance out the huge arsenal we have now. We could actually have very fast weapons that take 4 hits to kill (htk) instead of very-slightly-faster weapons that take 3 hits. The Hatchet does a bit less damage than the War Axe and has a bit less range, but is significantly faster; because it has the same htk as the War Axe, the speed just makes it far superior as the slight range difference isn’t enough. Toning it down to 4 htk and speeding it up a little more in its combo speeds would put the War Axe in a much better spot and make them different weapons. Same with, for example, the Norse Sword, which had to be nerfed to be basically inferior in all ways to its Broadsword counterpart. If it were just a very fast stabbing weapon that took more htk than the alternatives, it would be fine and offer a slightly different style of play. If the Holy Water Sprinkler was just outright dagger-fast, but took upwards of 5 hits to kill a Knight (less if you’re very good at overheads to the head) - it would play very differently.

But just linearly increasing HP would not do anything positive for the gameplay, so I can’t directly agree with the premise of this topic. Still, the idea that more hits to kill in certain cases will make balance easier and/or make weapons more unique from eachother is very much a reality in my mind.

• Just give players a few more months to grow accustomed to the game’s combat system. Soon players should be able to hold their own and an HP increase would be no longer needed.

• @SlyGoat:

I think kills should feasibly take 1-4 hits (maybe even 5 in extreme cases) instead of the current 1-3. It would help balance out the huge arsenal we have now. We could actually have very fast weapons that take 4 hits to kill (htk) instead of very-slightly-faster weapons that take 3 hits. The Hatchet does a bit less damage than the War Axe and has a bit less range, but is significantly faster; because it has the same htk as the War Axe, the speed just makes it far superior as the slight range difference isn’t enough. Toning it down to 4 htk and speeding it up a little more in its combo speeds would put the War Axe in a much better spot and make them different weapons. Same with, for example, the Norse Sword, which had to be nerfed to be basically inferior in all ways to its Broadsword counterpart. If it were just a very fast stabbing weapon that took more htk than the alternatives, it would be fine and offer a slightly different style of play. If the Holy Water Sprinkler was just outright dagger-fast, but took upwards of 5 hits to kill a Knight (less if you’re very good at overheads to the head) - it would play very differently.

But just linearly increasing HP would not do anything positive for the gameplay, so I can’t directly agree with the premise of this topic. Still, the idea that more hits to kill in certain cases will make balance easier and/or make weapons more unique from eachother is very much a reality in my mind.

Thanks for addressing the second part of the topic and not just focusing on the first. Everyone seems to have ignored it. (oh Falc addressed it too) ;)

Now back to the first point: maybe I’m playing the wrong mode or with the wrong people but to me fights are often very short. Brutally so. Which is great. But I think its too much so. The larger your scale, the more room for granularity, the more you can differentiate between skill. Simple math. It’s like increasing a sample size. More games played in the playoffs = better chances of the better team winning. One game eliminations? Lots of upsets. Same thing with HP. If everyone gets 1 shot by stuff? Lots of upsets. If HP >>> relative to damage, skill will predominate.

• @valiance:

Now back to the first point: maybe I’m playing the wrong mode or with the wrong people but to me fights are often very short. Brutally so. Which is great. But I think its too much so. The larger your scale, the more room for granularity, the more you can differentiate between skill. Simple math. It’s like increasing a sample size. More games played in the playoffs = better chances of the better team winning. One game eliminations? Lots of upsets. Same thing with HP. If everyone gets 1 shot by stuff? Lots of upsets. If HP >>> relative to damage, skill will predominate.

Looks like you are playing the wrong mode or with wrong people. (or MAYBE… you just wrong yourself… oh, sorry… no way, my stupid opinion)
    I do not know how to kill enemy without long-long dancing… and fast on death only weak ones. (frankly saying there are more than 80% absurdly weak players at the moment)

• i think increase 1 hit for kill some weapon is not a bad idea
    The game need more diffenrente power/speed between weapon
    When a knight need 2 Hit for kill an archer with 2 hand weapon
    the archer need 3 hit with mace for kill the knight
    And teh archer have a big speed bonus compared to knight

The game don’t take care about armor it’s sad

I think heavy class must have armor part point without regene

• @shayologo:

i think increase 1 hit for kill some weapon is not a bad idea
    The game need more diffenrente power/speed between weapon
    When a knight need 2 Hit for kill an archer with 2 hand weapon
    the archer need 3 hit with mace for kill the knight
    And teh archer have a big speed bonus compared to knight

The game don’t take care about armor it’s sad

I think heavy class must have armor part point without regene

Sorry to say, but archers do not have maces and there is armor system. But most dagger stab attacks do the piercing damage what penetrates the knights armor… but not the slash attacks usually.

And if someone thinks fights should last longer… I don’t think so :D http://www.twitch.tv/shotbygun/c/1751266

• Now back to the first point: maybe I’m playing the wrong mode or with the wrong people but to me fights are often very short. Brutally so. Which is great. But I think its too much so. The larger your scale, the more room for granularity, the more you can differentiate between skill. Simple math. It’s like increasing a sample size. More games played in the playoffs = better chances of the better team winning. One game eliminations? Lots of upsets. Same thing with HP. If everyone gets 1 shot by stuff? Lots of upsets. If HP >>> relative to damage, skill will predominate.

Well I for one think you have a point. I really like the game as it is playable at the moment, but on the other hand I like the idea of hp relative to dmg changes in the weapons. Of couse more knobs to adjust maybe also makes harder to balance (The constant striving of balance that is).