1st Patch: Considerable Performance Gain!

• Thanks a lot, Torn Banner!

With my 3,5 GHz Core 2 Quad and my GeForce GTX 460 I received a clearly noticable performance gain in my benchmark scenario (botmatch, Arena, 15 bots, measuring from gate opening til my death). How did you do that? Will there be more?

(left column: release version / right column: 1st, current patch)

Cheers, Manni

• @MadManniMan:

Thanks a lot, Torn Banner!

With my 3,5 GHz Core 2 Quad and my GeForce GTX 460 I received a clearly noticable performance gain in my benchmark scenario (botmatch, Arena, 15 bots, measuring from gate opening til my death). How did you do that? Will there be more?

(left column: release version / right column: 1st, current patch)

Cheers, Manni

You should do multiplayer benchmark. This singleplayer benchmark with smallest map in the game is useless.

• boomandvibe,

thx for your reply.

1. Arena with a high player count is the most CPU demanding scenario ingame.

2. Multiplayer benchmarking isn’t nearly as reproducible.

3. I wasn’t complaining about my scenario, I was reporting an FPS gain which I was very happy about.

• @MadManniMan:

boomandvibe,

thx for your reply.

Are you sure about this? My laptop struggles to run chivalry with all the settings I’d like without shuddering on most maps (I’m greedy), but I generally get a great performance on arena.

Glad to hear you’re getting a FPS gain, though. I can’t say my performance has improved (Infact, I’d guess mine’s got worse - but I think this is probably in my head), but I guess it’s all down to individual hardware.

• Crowd Reduction/Optimization should have increased FPS for everyone on that map.

• @MadManniMan:

boomandvibe,

thx for your reply.

2. Multiplayer benchmarking isn’t nearly as reproducible.

3. I wasn’t complaining about my scenario, I was reporting an FPS gain which I was very happy about.

How do you even know Arena with high player count is the most CPU demanding? I get the highest fps on arena 16 vs 16 compared to say moor 16 vs 16.

• @Humber:

Are you sure about this? My laptop struggles to run chivalry with all the settings I’d like without shuddering on most maps, but I generally get a great performance on arena.

Of course I can only speak for my rig: rather old CPU, rather good GPU. As you can read in the FPS attached I suffered quite low minimum frame rates when I activated (CPU demanding) lighting and details.

Glad to hear you’re getting a FPS gain, though. I can’t say my performance has improved (Infact, I’d guess mine’s got worse - but I think this is probably in my head), but I guess it’s all down to individual hardware.

Yeah, that is true, especially considering …

@Andrew:

Crowd Reduction/Optimization should have increased FPS for everyone on that map.

… Andrew’s answer. It seems to be a specific optimisation on that map.

@boomandvibe:

How do you even know Arena with high player count is the most CPU demanding? I get the highest fps on arena 16 vs 16 compared to say moor 16 vs 16.

I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have claimed this to be the most demandig scenario in Chivalry, but the most demanding I could easily reproduce.

Moor doesn’t even work in single player.

–-

Finally I can state: CPU requirements dropped for Arena in single player significantely.

• @MadManniMan:

@Humber:

Yeah, that is true, especially considering …

@Andrew:

Crowd Reduction/Optimization should have increased FPS for everyone on that map.

… Andrew’s answer. It seems to be a specific optimisation on that map.

I was speaking generally - Like I said in my post, I’ve always had great performance on arena and (like boomandvibe, I guess) assumed it was one of the less demanding maps.