Two potential solutions to TeamKilling

• Hi everyone.

About teamkilling, I think we can all agree it can get frustrating, especially when it’s obvious whoever killed you didn’t care and had no business in an already 3 vs 1 fight.

So I’d like to suggest two possible solution to make them care:

1. Make each teamkill cost -2 kills, and -20 points

2. Add a “punish/slay or forgive” option à la Counter Strike, though not with a silly lightning bolt, but rather with a salve of arrows coming from outside the map, and raining on the teamkiller.

Or secret option number 3. Both of the above. (Which is my favorite option).

• i prefer solution #2 …
    the first is not that bad but almost useless , accidental tks are ok in my book ( i dont tk often … maybe once in 10 games, but still happen sometimes to everyone ) but theres so many ppls who only tk for fun or because theyre pissed and they dont care about their score so first option wouldnt change a thing for them

your second solution would be perfect in my book … ( but after 3-4 punish, the guy would get automatiquely kicked )

(edit: not kick automatiquely but initiates a vote kick againts the player in question )

• what i think it would be better, even though im not sure at all if its posible, is that the game tracks enemies near the player. if there are not enemies and there were not enemies in last moments, and you teamkill, it means you did it on purpose,then it would be like you said in the second option.

Why this? because i can surely tell that trolls will go and get teamkilled on purpose just to slay you with the second option, or even worse, they will leave you with low hp, force you to kill them, then you will look like a teamkiller and will be slayed.

I dont care at all about accidently teamkills, but what i really hate is getting a troll on our spawn hitting everyone.

for archers would have to be something like enemies near the sight btw, but i dont even know if that is posible so… yeah, thats mi idea anyway.

• ide like to see a simple “forgive/not forgive” option when teamkilled, so many unforgivens earns a kick, return and do it again on the same map earns a temp ban, problem solved.

• @dirtyjob:

ide like to see a simple “forgive/not forgive” option when teamkilled, so many unforgivens earns a kick, return and do it again on the same map earns a temp ban, problem solved.

+1

• @dirtyjob:

ide like to see a simple “forgive/not forgive” option when teamkilled, so many unforgivens earns a kick, return and do it again on the same map earns a temp ban, problem solved.

im ok with this, this way trolls will get banned overtime

• @The:

1. Make each teamkill cost -2 kills, and -20 points

-score points is fine, but no -kills. That doesn’t make sense, the board is there to show your information about the game and it’s not like when you killed 3 enemies and one teammate you all of a sudden only killed a single enemy. It gives a wrong perception and there’s no reason for doing so.

@The:

2. Add a “punish/slay or forgive” option à la Counter Strike, though not with a silly lightning bolt, but rather with a salve of arrows coming from outside the map, and raining on the teamkiller.

This will get abused by some immature douches that think they’re funny, or just by people that cannot control their temper. They will press the ‘Punish’ option even if it clearly was an accidental teamkill. Now, is that any more fair?

• I agree mostly with the original post, the raining arrows sounds like a very unique punishment. There would have to be some safeguards though so that other players aren’t hurt.

There should be some aggressive team-kill guards. Most of the time team-killing is accidental and also unavoidable in this kind of game.

Idea number one needs some tweaks, I’ve already seen people who just like to injure their team to avoid being caught as easily. Rather than make point deduction happen at kills it should happen on damage based on the amount.

I think two should be implemented as well as;
    3 - Auto Kick (temporary ban to prevent rejoining instantly) after X amount of team-kills, well above the normal threshold.
    4 - Mirror 10%-15% damage, it’s a truth that players care more about themselves than anyone else. If people take damage for simply hurting their team they might feel more incited to act with some restraint when jumping into a mob of men.

• @The:

Why are you framing this debate as if there are only 2 options? Thats kind of dishonest, since the other options have been posted many times.

The best option is to make the TKer spawn more slowly. Adding 10 seconds for each TK, for example.

The 2nd best option is to do nothing because, for skilled players, it isnt really that big of a deal.

None of your options rate.

• @ransack:

@The:

Why are you framing this debate as if there are only 2 options? Thats kind of dishonest, since the other options have been posted many times.

The best option is to make the TKer spawn more slowly. Adding 10 seconds for each TK, for example.

The 2nd best option is to do nothing because, for skilled players, it isnt really that big of a deal.

… wut?

You kinda just made a hypocrite of yourself
    he didn’t say ‘these are the two options’ he said ‘here are two options’
    only to give your own ultimatum with slower spawn or do nothing.

• Why not have a stacking system?

A certain number of TK’s for a certain punishment, be it increased spawn time, raining arrows of selective death, kicks or bans
    with forgiven TK’s being worth less towards those punishments as unforgiven ones

Not giving people the ability to forgive simply because there is a number of people who aren’t willing to is kinda lopsided to me, maybe there should be an apology option for the TKer much the same way as the victim could choose to forgive?

• @Azerai:

@ransack:

@The:

I didnt start this thread, but if I had, i would have included all the possibilities that have been mentioned so far and invite people to post more. If it makes me a hypocrite to mention 2 more possibilities than the 2 offered, then so be it. But setting up the debate between the 2 ideas offered by the OP is a sneaky way to frame/limit the discussion so I had to step in and broaden it. Im sorry that offended your sensibilities.

… wut?

You kinda just made a hypocrite of yourself
    he didn’t say ‘these are the two options’ he said ‘here are two options’
    only to give your own ultimatum with slower spawn or do nothing.

• @Siegfried:

@The:

This will get abused by some immature douches that think they’re funny, or just by people that cannot control their temper. They will press the ‘Punish’ option even if it clearly was an accidental teamkill. Now, is that any more fair?

I did thought of that, but I’m still quite ok with it. I wouldn’t mind being slayed myself if I TK’ed accidentaly. Even if the guy is just a douche who “can’t control his temper”, he’s still the one who have been wronged and it’s fair he demands reparation.

• Both of those ideas were in AoC, and I’d especially like to see the second option added in Chiv, because that worked really well I thought. Of course have it be where the server could add it as an option or not.

As for the first, we already lose points as it is. I think the second one would be more effective overall, and people who do it accidentally might actually apologize and not just ignore it.

• Turn all those troll tks to walking pincushion would be adorable… I also agree they wouldn’t give a rat’s ass for this first penalty, and when someone actually kills you accidently and asks for forgiveness you can choose to not penalize them. Thats civilized.

• RAINING ARROWS ??? I know people that would tk just to have that happen :o

• @Kimiko:

Both of those ideas were in AoC, and I’d especially like to see the second option added in Chiv, because that worked really well I thought. Of course have it be where the server could add it as an option or not.

As for the first, we already lose points as it is. I think the second one would be more effective overall, and people who do it accidentally might actually apologize and not just ignore it.

Yep, I can see solution #1 is not very popular, which is kinda expected, and I too prefer #2 by far.
    I didn’t see what happened in AoC yet when you punish someone for TK’ing, but I just thought arrows coming from enemy spawn or from the sky and targetting only at the Tk’er would be a clever way to do so without breaking the immersion.

@dirtyjob:

RAINING ARROWS ??? I know people that would tk just to have that happen :o

Ok, we all know here people are already abusing the fact that they’re not being punished for Tk’ing, so except making the other ones watch what they’re doing, what’s the difference?

@ransack:

@The:

Azerai is not completely wrong. In fact he’s mostly right.
    I wouldn’t call you a hypocrite, but clearly there’s something wrong about accusing me of being dishonest because alledgedly I would be acting like there’s only two possible options (which I’m not), so you can just act like there is only one. (that’s if I follow your weird logic).

Second thing, I wasn’t “framing this debate as if there are only 2 options”.
    The thread is called “Two possible solutions to TeamKilling”, not “The Two only solutions”.
    And in case of someone misunderstanding the title, the opening post also says: “So I’d like to suggest two possible solution to make them care:”

As for the spawn penalty idea, I’m sorry but I really don’t care for it any more than you care for the arrows.

You don’t like my idea, I don’t like yours, I’m ok with this and let’s just leave it at that.

• I think many of the suggestions here are too complex and people are looking too much into it.
    The tried and tested methods work best

Option 1: Forgive/Punish button. It works for BF3, Counter Strike etc.
    Option 2: Mirror damage.

I like option 2 the most. I can’t see anything wrong with it and I would enjoy it the most.

• I do not think team killing is a problem.

Intentional team killing is solved with the vote kick system.

• @TartarusMkII:

I do not think team killing is a problem.

Intentional team killing is solved with the vote kick system.

It doesn’t.
    Most people vote yes or no according to whatever they’ve eat for lunch, they never have a clue what the votekick is about.
    And even then, it’s not about obvious intentionnal TK at spawn, it’s about forcing them to care whether or not they hit teamates will trying to steal a kill from them for instance.