Double tap to dodge, thoughts?

• Huge fan of Age of Chivalry, looking forward to this release. There was one mention in a Dev Blog about dodging via double tapping WASD though, and I was wondering about the control options available in that regard. I would much rather be able to just shift+WASD to dodge than double tap, I feel like it would be far faster to execute. Any idea if this is an option?

• …In my opinion is not bad use double-click on WASD, to dodge…
    …i prefer it than the use combination of two keys when i fight…

N.B.:…furthermore, if they would let me join as betatesters, I could be more accurately… 8-)

ciauz^^,
    Jab

• Shift is the key for sprint as far as I know.

Maybe they want it to be double tap because you can say that it requires fast fingers :P

So it’s not as easy as just pressing a combination of buttons, it requires more effort.

I’m just saying.

• @-Slash-:

Shift is the key for sprint as far as I know.

Maybe they want it to be double tap because you can say that it requires fast fingers :P

So it’s not as easy as just pressing a combination of buttons, it requires more effort.

I’m just saying.

Bad controls are hardly elements of player skill, I think any game that tries to justify it that way is doomed to fail. Shift was just an example, it could be any combination (V+WASD), or even a separate key entirely (ie. Q/E to dodge left/right, X to dodge back, etc). I guess in a larger sense I’m wondering about customization in general. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the devs will come up with the optimal control scheme, they’re almost always outdone by players in any game that allows for customization, and often in creative ways (maybe instead of shift+WASD you can use a mouse button which physically is a lot more fluid – click one mouse button to dodge, another mouse button to counterswing).

The reason I’m concerned about dodge specifically is I haven’t really seen any customizable control options that also allow for configurable double taps (without extra dev work for a double-tap checkbox for that particular move or something).

• I think its should be a timings based system.

Simply double tapping or even holding down 2 buttons to shoot sideways and counter cut your opponent may become very boring.

In M&B there is a technique called chambering where in you swing at a precise moment to parry your opponents attack and simultaneously smack your opponent about the face. It seems to me that dodge should be dependent not only on your timing but all on your opponents type of attack and your position relative to him.

Meaning I double tap A on a horizontal slash and slide into his right. If I time my swing as well I slide in and cut him down, or depending on armour ding him a little.

I think matching your opponents foot work and coordinating your dodge and strike to fit into what is being thrown at you would be awesome. It would add depth that no other combat system has hopefully without over loading it with “skyrimish” kill animations and that kind of horrible crap.

What do you guys think?

• Well of course you need to time it as to actually avoid the strike, if thats what you mean, just tapping the dodge buttons wont magically make you dodge.

You might also dodge someones attack and get in the range of a friendy, who might have bigger damage than your opponent :P, ever thought of that?

• @FRANKVONTANK:

I think its should be a timings based system.

Simply double tapping or even holding down 2 buttons to shoot sideways and counter cut your opponent may become very boring.

In M&B there is a technique called chambering where in you swing at a precise moment to parry your opponents attack and simultaneously smack your opponent about the face. It seems to me that dodge should be dependent not only on your timing but all on your opponents type of attack and your position relative to him.

Meaning I double tap A on a horizontal slash and slide into his right. If I time my swing as well I slide in and cut him down, or depending on armour ding him a little.

I think matching your opponents foot work and coordinating your dodge and strike to fit into what is being thrown at you would be awesome. It would add depth that no other combat system has hopefully without over loading it with “skyrimish” kill animations and that kind of horrible crap.

What do you guys think?

I think it may be a little late in the game to implement a context-based system, and I sort of like the freedom of movement offered by Chivalry (it’s a completely different system than a Rune or M&B). Truly, only in Chivalry could I jump on a bridge beam, then over my enemy, stabbing him in the head on the way down.

And I’m sure the dodge ability will have advantages (positioning if you dodge the correct way) as well as disadvantages (loss of stamina, possibly extra damage if hit while dodging, etc), I’m just concerned with the control scheme b/c I hate double tap. It is objectively the slowest bind to execute, and I’d rather it be anything else.

• @FRANKVONTANK:

I think its should be a timings based system.

What do you guys think?

Now I have played a lot of M&B. I don’t hate it at all. That being said… Please don’t try and turn this game into M&B… Sooo many bugs and a couple seriously flawed design choices that I don’t want to come over into this new hope for awesome medieval combat.

As for the OP I too would very much like an option for key combos to dodge instead of double tap only. Not just because I find it more easy to be precise but also because I have a family member who has damaged fingers. They use a nostromo n52 d-pad for movement right now and I hope to get them using a gamepad thumb stick in the future. The dpad has a problem with accidentally double tapping when switching directions unless I turn off diagonal movement, which is damn near crippling. And with a stick of any kind double clicking isn’t usually an option. I suppose it could be with some special programming but it isnt there usually.

• Developer

This is something we are looking into. We will also include a sensitivity bar to allow you to set the time delay for the game to pick up a double tap as a dodge.

• I think Tibberius is saying that it’ll be default Unreal Tournament… UT’s dodging system is pretty fun. You run forward, turn to your right, then double tap strafe left, then turn again. This is easy enough to do with a keyboard and mouse. Probably total garbage for a control stick user.

Having a dodge button + movement or a dodge left button, dodge right button could be useful for many players. Although having such an option could change the way some players move. Rather than everybody has the same movement, some players could gain a special trick movement in certain situations.

• Everyone just stop arguing, it’s f*cking awesome. So relax and wait til you get to experience it. Go play some aoc.

• Personally I would prefer another button to activate it rather than the double tapping the same button. So for instance holding down the f key then press the direction I wish to dodge. I personally think this would give me more control over my character and eliminate the likely hood for mistakes. Say for example your holding down “w”, when you have to block or preform another action and take your finger off “w” for a split second and then press it down again inadvertly engaging the dodge mechanic. Worst case scenario you dodging straight into the path of an enemy and your head explodes, best case scenario you have wasted stamina.

• Developer

@gB:

Everyone just stop arguing, it’s f*cking awesome. So relax and wait til you get to experience it. Go play some aoc.

• @gB:

Everyone just stop arguing, it’s f*cking awesome. So relax and wait til you get to experience it. Go play some aoc.

You couldn’t say that earlier could you… lol

• @gB:

Wise words from a wise man :king:

• JmA2WYyw-_A

• Good idea as long as the distance is not as far as you can dodge in Unreal3.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3W7sE61hs#t=260s

• Best dodging is in Severance - blade of darkness, though used with “Shift + side”. I would agree that double tap would be quicker and better.

• Hey I am new here and I have never tried the game nor have I tried AoC. But I played many games with similar controls and gameplay. Double tap to dodge is ok I guess but with people such as myself I will always accidentally dodge because of this double tap. having the ability to control sensitivity is good and all but then having the double tap slider set to insensitive to prevent such accidents would mean it could never let you dodge in time.

The Solution? I hear that controls are not bindable, why is that? I can never say without knowing the controls but couldn’t sprint be set to Alt and dodge to shift?

Sorry If I am sounding like a noob, which I am, but I was just wondering. I also am sorry for rezzing an old topic :P

• Where did you read controls aren’t bindable? O.o