Clashing weapons?

• Why is it so hard to incorporate this mechanic in games? The only instance i can remember where it was incorporated was in Dark Messiah. And even then it was just a QTE that triggered under certain conditions. Why noone attempted to improve it since then is beyond me. It could add so much to the game.

• You mean like two weapons pushing against each other with brute strength? like a saber lock from star wars?

• yeah, i know what you mean, i loved that feature from dark messiah, but im not sure at all it would fit in a multiplayer game

basically, it would “interrupt” the fast paced gameplay and would get some players killed, if they get into that they are vulnerable, so enemies could kill you easily, making it worthless.

Even though i like that, i dont think it fits in this game

• @Kyle:

yeah, i know what you mean, i loved that feature from dark messiah, but im not sure at all it would fit in a multiplayer game

basically, it would “interrupt” the fast paced gameplay and would get some players killed, if they get into that they are vulnerable, so enemies could kill you easily, making it worthless.

+1 … exactly my thoughts on the subject … 99% of the time the clash would end up by a teammate killing the other guy …

• @batman666:

@Kyle:

yeah, i know what you mean, i loved that feature from dark messiah, but im not sure at all it would fit in a multiplayer game

+1 … exactly my thoughts on the subject … 99% of the time the clash would end up by a teammate killing the other guy …

+2

• Yea i get your point guys, but you keep imagining examples that already were made as if there is no other way around it. It could be made (context-wise, no idea about the technical side of things) so its way more streamlined and doesnt forcibly lock you up in a position where you are grunting at each others faces while furiously tapping the X button due to a shitty console port that didn’t bother remapping key icons from gamepad to keyboard and mouse controlls. wut.

I can’t really think of a good way to implement this right now, but it baffles me that no games attempt to improve the meele combat genre by adding more and more features to it. And i mean completely new unheard concepts and not something we have all seen before. The industry experimented very little beyond basic combat, considering that mount and blade which was developed by a small group brought something into the industry that we now call standart and use it as a benchmark for comparisons. What does that tells us about the situation in general where big developers continue to dumb down games instead of improving them and indie devs are the ones comming up with original concepts?

Sadly, Torn Banner took a safe big developer route and while they made a good game, it lacks certain elements to make it great. At least they didnt dumb down things, but at the same time it seems that they were afraid to experiment and improve the concept of combat in vidya games, same goes to war of roses.

Tl;dr I just hope that they at least add the ability to choose the direction of your side swings, ive heard in the newest Q&A that they were considering it so i hope for the best.

• I have an idea.

For a weapon lock system why not incorperate a three move system akin to that of the attack controls
    each attack would be a ‘stance’ in the lock, along the lines of defensive, aggressive and evasive

each stance would be stronger and weaker to one of the other stances
    let’s say evasive bets aggression, aggression beats defensive and defensive bets evasive
    each stance would have it’s own effects, say winning a lock in aggressive stance will stagger your opponent backwards, or in evasive will allow you to escape more easily

But that’s not to say that locking someone in place wouldn’t be frustrating, so maybe it could be a optional server setting for duels?

• A weapon ‘lock’ with both people pushing against each other is extremely unrealistic and doesnt happen in real fights(i do have some melee weapon training, mostly kendo). It would seriously detract from immersion for me. What WOULD be more realistic imo is that if both players swing together, it would be a parry. However this may make the game overly long, and would require better hit detction to be realistic.

• It’s already in the game, in the form of parrying. You’re always close to the players you fight, so having weapons clash would first of all be quite hard to do (both in distance and timing). It would also serve no purpose, and would be silly and gameplay-slowing if it’d result in some kind of button-mash event.

• You’re all thinking about this the wrong way. A clash should never result in a button smash lock up, it should simply result in a parry for both players.

Should both players execute an overhead attack at the same time and parallel to each other, the swords should clash and resume both players to to the idle state, exactly like a normal parry. I don’t see why this is so hard to understand, it makes total sense.
    Should two weapons meet mid swing, it should have the same effect as a parry.

It’s simple, it wouldn’t really complicate anything.

But definitely no lockup button smash.

• In my opinion, not that I am an expert in swordplay, I think that for sake of game mechanics, it would be better to leave blocking weapons to the block key. When swinging a heavy quick blade, the chances they will clash in the first place seem minimal.

• @Azerai:

I have an idea.

For a weapon lock system why not incorperate a three move system akin to that of the attack controls
    each attack would be a ‘stance’ in the lock, along the lines of defensive, aggressive and evasive

each stance would be stronger and weaker to one of the other stances
    let’s say evasive bets aggression, aggression beats defensive and defensive bets evasive
    each stance would have it’s own effects, say winning a lock in aggressive stance will stagger your opponent backwards, or in evasive will allow you to escape more easily

This is a scissors, paper, rock configuration. It would be more of a guessing game than an action multiplayer game. :?