Shields blocking without blocking

• I’ve been noticing lately, my shield just becomes an invisisble object that offers no protection if I dont actually block with it. It would be nice if say someone is coming from the left, even though my shield isn’t up, the shield wouldn’t just turn into some kind of invisisble object that the strike just passes through like it isn’t there.
    So my shield is in my left hand, someone attack, the shield still provides protection and the hit just doesn’t go through it.

• Shields are not forcefields, you still have to follow the tip of his weapon just like parry.

Most of the time when I die when I have a shield is either failing to turn in time, particularly when someone gets in close and LMB swings come in from way to the side sometimes, the blade looks like it goes right through the shield but since the tip is unblocked he is hitting your side(sometimes it seems like I should have blocked but im quite sure its me being too slow in those cases, you can see the blade passing into your shield but the tip got by), or someone playing the weakness of the shield and using my lack of visibility to his advantage.

It may very well looked like you blocked it but there are many ways to get past a shield.

• you didnt get his point lol

About the thread, the shield actually does come in handy even lowered, it blocks arrows and throwable weapons.

It doesnt block melee weapons, but i guess that would be kinda unfair as slash would be mostly useless against shielded enemies.

So i think its ok the way it is.

• @Kyle:

It doesnt block melee weapons, but i guess that would be kinda unfair as slash would be mostly useless against shielded enemies.

So i think its ok the way it is.

They could just make it reduce the damage instead of not blocking melee at all.
    I think that would be fair, it’d be the equivalent of shattering someones arm because they weren’t prepared.

• The xbowman with the pavise shield on his back would become nigh unbackstabbable(totally a word). As it is he’s immune to rear arrowshots. For balance reasons I say it’s fine as it is. Not “in-use” shields only protect againt range.

• This video is a very good example of why passive shield blocking for melee is a horrible idea

g9xlaISxn6Y

;)

Even passive block against projectiles pisses me off a lot of the time. It’s really one of those things that you think would be cool but just ends up ruining gameplay in a lot of ways, I think.

• Just have passive block apply to only projectiles, and the shield has to be in-hand to activate passive block. The projectiles would do 65%% damage if it hit a passive block shield. The enemy would not react to the arrow hitting the shield but would still take the damage. 0% if hit an active shield.

This means that if the archer was unlucky enough to hit your shield while you were sprinting past with a shield in-hand and wasnt shielding yourself, he’ll at least be rewarded with 65% damage done.

Passive block shields applying to melee weapons would just ruin the mechanics of this game.

• So basically you would be totally unvulnerable to primary slash attacks, since they all come from the right of your opponent.
    Not a very good idea.

• @SlyGoat:

This video is a very good example of why passive shield blocking for melee is a horrible idea

g9xlaISxn6Y

;)

Even passive block against projectiles pisses me off a lot of the time. It’s really one of those things that you think would be cool but just ends up ruining gameplay in a lot of ways, I think.

I almost peed my pants laughing at that video… I hate shields anyway.

• @Cheesus:

Just have passive block apply to only projectiles, and the shield has to be in-hand to activate passive block. The projectiles would do 65%% damage if it hit a passive block shield. The enemy would not react to the arrow hitting the shield but would still take the damage. 0% if hit an active shield.

This means that if the archer was unlucky enough to hit your shield while you were sprinting past with a shield in-hand and wasnt shielding yourself, he’ll at least be rewarded with 65% damage done.

Passive block shields applying to melee weapons would just ruin the mechanics of this game.

Passive block for projectiles is already in the game, any projectile that hits your shield at any time will be 100% blocked.

• Yep, and rewarding archers for hitting in the shield is not a good idea, archers are supposed to hit in the head, rewarding them for failing wouldnt make much sense.

And i DO hit a lot of times shields, so i know what it feels like.

So yeah, basically that, its ok the way it is.