Hit detection frustration

• Hey guys, I’ve made an account especially for this issue after a particularly infuriating play session involving problems with the hit detection. Are there any plans to fix the following:

Headshotting archers using the tower shield from the back

Shields not blocking from the front in blocking stance, despite the tip of the enemy’s weapon being hidden through the shield’s model in first person

Parrys not registering against vanguard weapons (this is a reoccuring issue for me, I have just finished a game where the tip of the enemy vanguard’s weapon was dead center on my screen right as I was doing the parry animation on my MAA and yet it went through again and again!)

If it helps I’ll consider frapsing fights to provide more substantial evidence, because as it stands those issues have sucked the fun right out of the game for me.

• Yeah, it feels like these kind of things (parrying, blocking and attacking) are a bit dodgy since the patch.

P.S. Nice name.

• I don’t know, I feel hit detection overall has improved sinc the patch. I guess i’ll spend more time in duel servers to get a better feel for it.

• @Blackadder:

Parrys not registering against vanguard weapons (this is a reoccuring issue for me, I have just finished a game where the tip of the enemy vanguard’s weapon was dead center on my screen right as I was doing the parry animation on my MAA and yet it went through again and again!

I only play MAA and I don’t carry a shield so I also have to parry or dodge everything.

I had the same problem with Vanguards for a while and I found that trying to block low, by aiming your camera down ~45 degrees before parrying didn’t always work. I attribute this failure to the shorter weapon lengths.

The best solution that I have found is to always crouch when blocking low. This seems to insure a successful parry; assuming that your timing is correct.

Most Vanguards are just unimaginative foot pokers / “sweep the leg, Johnny!”-types any way. It takes some getting used to remembering the extra button, but it starts to feel more natural with practice.

• I’ve only been playing for a few days, but I’ve found that server/client performance makes a HUGE difference in the melee experience - this might seem really obvious, but the hit detection problems I had at first were tied to this. My ping was consistently 50-100ms.

I was having intermittent issues with hiccups and stuttering during attack animations in servers with more than 24 players, and they didn’t seem to be based on my machine per se (everything was smooth until I had to communicate with the server for hitbox data, from the looks of it). The stuttering and inexplicably missed swings were driving me nuts.

But once I switched to a smaller server, the combat started behaving like it should. Hits didn’t feel (quite as) random, and I did a LOT better in a fight. Night and day. I’m going to turn down my settings to see if it helps in larger servers, but some optimization is definitely needed.

• @VedicIntent:

I’ve only been playing for a few days, but I’ve found that server/client performance makes a HUGE difference in the melee experience - this might seem really obvious, but the hit detection problems I had at first were tied to this.

But once I switched to a smaller server, the combat started behaving like it should. Hits didn’t feel (quite as) random, and I did a LOT better in a fight. Night and day. I’m going to turn down my settings to see if it helps in larger servers, but some optimization is definitely needed.

This, exactly. I thought this game was flawed until I started sorting the servers by lowest ping, and found out combat was actually very precise! They only time I ever get frustrated anymore is when I’m playing high-ping players(>200), as their hits are pretty impossible to predict, as they do not line up with the animations whatsoever.

• I have the impression that hit detection is a bit off now with the vanguard long weapons like spear and bardiche. Sometime I clearly hit a guy but nothing happens.

• Yep…still broken and buggy as hell. Shields block for shit even worse now. Depth perception is all screwed up. Two handed hammers still faster than weapons with better speed rating. Overall combat feels blocky/sluggish and pings continue to suck.

To bad this seemed like such a cool game but it just continues to get worse and unenjoyable to play. Wish I had waited until this hit the $7.99 Steam range instead of the original $25 I paid.

• @Bellatormonk:

Yep…still broken and buggy as hell. Shields block for shit even worse now. Depth perception is all screwed up. Two handed hammers still faster than weapons with better speed rating. Overall combat feels blocky/sluggish and pings continue to suck

I have those same problems, and I’ve found the blocking issue is almost all about making sure your center dot is pointed AT THE TIP OF BADGUY’S WEAPON. It’s to the point where you need to be rotated left/right/up/down 90+ degrees when you’re point-blank against vanguard polearms since the tip is swinging way around or above you. It’s counterintuitive, but I swear that’s a lot of it. Good thread on the issue: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6347

Depth perception and sluggish/laggy melee is truth. The latter can be fixed, but we’re kind of stuck with the former without a 3D setup - anyone know if the game’s compatible with 3D?