Gamemode idea: Siege Battle

• The Siege of Elmsbridge

Scenario: A castle (defenders) and a open field (attackers). One level only.

Agatha Knights
    Role: Defender
    Resources: Two balistae and oil pot
    Objective: Defend the castle and the banner for 14min
    Strategy: Archers can pick stairs bearers, man at arms defend the wall agains the climbers, oil pot can be used against the soldiers in the battering ram. Every two minutes, they have a chance to sabotage one or more enemy’s siege weapon

The Mason Order
    Role: Attacker
    Resources: Two catapults, one battering ram and two siege stairs
    Objective: Capture the enemy flag inside the castle
    Strategy Carry the stairs to the wall and invade, killing the archers and possibly go straight ahead for the flag, tear down the walls or gate, defend the siege weapons every two minutes.

• Mason would go and try to destroy the gate with the ram, while simulteneosly trying to destroy the wall with the catapults. Damaged walls would appear more and more cracked as they get more punishment. Meanwhile, Mason soldiers can carry stairs to the wall, while being picked by Agatha archers. in case they reach the destination (which can be anywhere in the wall) and lock the stairs, they can only be removed by a a Agatha soldier, or if the wall is destroyed by the catapults, in which case the stairs are destroyed. Men at arms would defend this position against incoming Mason soldiers. Meanwhile, Agatha can go on a skirsmish to damage the catapults and the battering ram. The battle is over when Mason capture the enemy flag (regardless if they destroyed the wall/gate or not) or when Agatha succeeds in protecting it for 14minutes.

Rules:
    Skirmish: Every two minutes, X random Agatha players are spawned near Mason’s siege engines, where X is the appropriate number for the amount of people playing at the moment. They have a chance to sabotage the siege weapons for 2 minutes and kill as much Mason’s as they can before they die. There would be a skirmish counter (for both teams) so they can plan accordingly before it happens.

Stairs:Must be manned by two players, and can be carried anywhere toward the wall (I have no idea on how to do this lol, both player sync and wall carrying. Maybe something in 3rd person and the direction the other player is facing being the way he’s carrying it… Don’t know). If one of the players die, the stairs fall down and another one must replace him. If the stairs reach the wall, they lock and can’t be removed unless an Agatha player kicks it (takes a few seconds). If that happens, Mason players need to raise the stairs and lock it in place again. Players can freely climb it, one by one.

Catapults, Balistae and Ram: Same rule as ever, only now Catapults can destroy enemy walls and be sabotaged by enemy soldiers (The ram too). It takes two minutes to fix a catapult (happens automaticaly)

EDIT: Forgot to mention… Agatha players can’t jump from the wall. The only way to get on the field of battle would be on a skirmish. Also, if the gate or a section of the wall is destroyed the skirmish event ceases to happen.

Well, if everything plays out accordingly, I’m pretty sure that would make a VERY bustling match, where both teams would need to be everywhere at the same time and good strategy would bring victory easily.

Thanks for reading, and any feedbacks would be appreciated, that took some time to do!

• I really like this idea. For the stair carriers, lets just hope the Chivalry devs add the siege engineer. That’d be a better alternative than a group of soldiers carrying a ladder. The siege engineer would build/repair the defenses/siege weapons+engines for their team.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/age-of-chival … n-overhaul

• great idea the siege like scenario in the game at the moment leaves much to be desired

• Siege towers would be a nice addition to such maps, and likely easier to implement than ladders. No reason they couldn’t be pushed into place just like a battering ram is now… ?

• Castle siege maps would indeed be a really thrilling experience, I remember how much fun it was on Mount and Blade. It could simply be integrated into the TO mode, fits well I think. If you think about it some already existing TO maps are close to a siege scenario.

• @Dudg:

Siege towers would be a nice addition to such maps, and likely easier to implement than ladders. No reason they couldn’t be pushed into place just like a battering ram is now… ?

You’re right, that would be definitelly easier to do. I just think that a siege battle NEEDS some ladders you know? But only if it doable.

@Cheesus:

I really like this idea. For the stair carriers, lets just hope the Chivalry devs add the siege engineer. That’d be a better alternative than a group of soldiers carrying a ladder. The siege engineer would build/repair the defenses/siege weapons+engines for their team.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/age-of-chival … n-overhaul

The thing about it is that this class would be virtually useless on other maps, that is, if they don’t stray too much from reality when creating this class.

• This is a great idea. A big reason I bought this game was my love of mount and blade multiplayer. And the castle sieges were one of my favourite parts of that game.

Two things i think id prefer though.

1. Not limiting whether a player can get outside the castle walls for skirmishes. Have a gate that can be opened as usual for this map type. I feel the more organic nature of being able to send out skirmish parties when you want would be more enjoyable. I know this works becuase it worked in M&B.

2. Dont have a flag, instead use the king NPC from TO mode. So much more realisitic than a flag to capture.

It would also be nice if they could increase the player limit for these maps. Maybe 64 vs 64 would be a nice number. Obviously this might be above what they can currently do but it would be nice.

• @Ubung:

This is a great idea. A big reason I bought this game was my love of mount and blade multiplayer. And the castle sieges were one of my favourite parts of that game.

1. Not limiting whether a player can get outside the castle walls for skirmishes. Have a gate that can be opened as usual for this map type. I feel the more organic nature of being able to send out skirmish parties when you want would be more enjoyable. I know this works becuase it worked in M&B.

2. Dont have a flag, instead use the king NPC from TO mode. So much more realisitic than a flag to capture.

It would also be nice if they could increase the player limit for these maps. Maybe 64 vs 64 would be a nice number. Obviously this might be above what they can currently do but it would be nice.

That would be just perfect.

• This is a great idea. A big reason I bought this game was my love of mount and blade multiplayer. And the castle sieges were one of my favourite parts of that game.

I like it! I wanted to do something like skirmish to prevent too much chaos and confusion but you know what… This game IS chaotic, and thats good. Oh and btw, I almost peed my pants picturing this map as a 64v64. That would be epic.

• In the original AoC Stoneshill, the only way defenders had to exit the castle was by opening a small door at ground level (or dropping from a certain area in the wall, but we could remove that for this idea)

Attackers had to use a siege tower to get inside the walls, and usually their next target was the lever that controlled the door. Once it was open, attackers poured in, and the last objective was piece of cake: killing the cow and winning the map. I miss that cow.