Two or more computers behind one router

• Hi,

Me and my mate are going to set up a small LAN party. Just to make sure everything will work when we get together, we got two computers behind one router and tried to connect to the same server. Thus here we are at the reason for this post: We failed to connect.

The game runs fine when we try to connect to different servers, it’s just when we try to connect to the same server it doesn’t work; it allows one person in, but the other computer just times out.

My research into this has led me to conclude that it’s because we are using the same IP address (since we are on the same router) and the same port (standard setting). Also, we are using steam.

This page was insightful for me, but ultimately didn’t help: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art … -QPHJ-3567

However, that is only helpful for Valve games and it didn’t work for Chivalry. And yes, we both play through Steam.

Any clues on how to solve this?

• It may be a server-side setting rejecting multiple users from the same IP address… I do not know for sure though :(

• Bump!

Come on fellas. Surely we aren’t the only ones with this problem?

• Just to clarify -

Both PCs behind the router have their own allocated, static internal IP address (not automatic)?
    You have forwarded the ports necessary to both internal IP addresses?
    You have set a clientport for Chivalry on one person’s game?

• IF your not DHCP the dual Ip is an issue I would guess. I play with my roommate and we have no issues at all joining the same server. I would say set your IPs to DHCP, if that doesn’t work try different servers.

• It needs to be not DHCP ideally. The reason being if you forward a port to 192.168.1.x and then next day, you are automatically assigned 192.168.1.y, you will no longer be forwarded that port from your router.

• Granted, I’m assuming this guy is not port forwarding. If he is all he would have to do is make sure they aren’t using the same IP. Personally I have had 5 people running thru the same Switch and it was no issue.

• Thanks for the help guys.

So witch ports are allowable to use for the game?

One computer’s IP is 192.168.1.105 and the other is 192.168.1.100.

Will the port for the local machines be the same and a change of port externally or vice versa? Do we need to make any changes to how the game starts up or are these just changes in the router?

• @Joos2000:

Thanks for the help guys.

So witch ports are allowable to use for the game?

One computer’s IP is 192.168.1.105 and the other is 192.168.1.100.

Will the port for the local machines be the same and a change of port externally or vice versa? Do we need to make any changes to how the game starts up or are these just changes in the router?

As long as your computers are on different internal IPs, it should be okay. The router should handle forwarding the ports…