Attack Directions

• He guys this is my first thread, be gentle.

Simply put 4 attack directions has been done, is limited (awesome but limited) and given the awesome new engine and that wicked hit detection system, it seems out dated.

So, like a 5 blade razor blade in comparison to a 3, I present to you!

8! Attack directions.

Left to right
    Right to left
    Top down
    Stab

Those are our old familiar friends.

Here are some new BFFs

Top left to bottom right
    Top right to bottom left
    Bottom left to top right
    Bottom right to top left

So, wtf am I on about? A huge leap forward in the system, maybe.

With a system like this in place the opertunity is there to bring many different styles of europian sword play to the game. Flick through youtube and you will get a sense for what I’m on about.

Countering, blocking, parrying, dodging will become bottomless pits of skill development.

Imagine a guy come at you with a great sword and swings it down at you top right to bottom left, you raise a block side step to you left and forwards towards him. His sword glances off yours and pounds into the ground, and as he tries to draw it back up to block you cut him down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFTFLZYfck&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL058FC638E8AEFC5B http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0oSM-z5714 There are many, many more examples. Both of these are Japanese I know… So here is some eauropean ones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQHT-bYelCA Also this is a youtube search for arma sword training http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arma+sword+training&oq=ARMA+sword+&aq=2&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=14541l16188l0l18679l7l7l0l3l3l0l320l814l0.2.1.1l4l0

The other thing that could come along with this, is chaining/comboing. So you swing left to right and miss, but you have a great sword and a shit load of momentum. So you tap S to steady yourself and cut top right to bottom left swinging the sword all the way around you and slamming it down to your side. How cool would it be to sucker some power dude into thinking you had just balked your shot only to whip it round and rip his head off :D Totally evil.

This might be too hard to do. But fuck me it would be sexy!

What do you think?

Cheers

• Developer

Because of the real time strike system in Chivalry, you have the ability to adjust your swing at any time with the mouse. This allows you to turn overheads into sweeping diagonal cuts and horiztonal slashes into brutal uppercuts and a whole lot more. There are very few strikes you cannot do with our current system, much of which has not yet been revealed.

• Very promising!

• @Tibberius:

Because of the real time strike system in Chivalry, you have the ability to adjust your swing at any time with the mouse. This allows you to turn overheads into sweeping diagonal cuts and horiztonal slashes into brutal uppercuts and a whole lot more. There are very few strikes you cannot do with our current system, much of which has not yet been revealed.

I saw how you can strike multi-directionally by just swiveling your mouse in the dev blog – would you compare this with something like Jedi Knight Academy where you can “slow down” your swing by moving against the direction of the swing (having the swing connect after the opponent expects)? Or speed up the swing by simply turning your mouse the same direction as the swing? I think the latter may be a little unfair given the manual block/parry system in Chivalry (as opposed to auto-block in JKA unless you’re in the middle of a swing yourself & thus vulnerable).

• @Tibberius:

Oh hell yeah! Can’t wait :D