The poleaxe hitbox seems off

• Been playing some with the Pole axe.

It’s listed as a relatively high reach weapon according to the stats.
    However what I have encountered several times now, especially with stabs, is that the weapon model will sometimes literally touch a player model, but there is no damage registered, meaning that the weapon model is seemingly longer than the actual hitbox. Needless to say, it’s pretty annoying when you from your point of view stab someone cleanly, but nothing happens.

In general it also seems like the axes have little to offer over the swords, seeing as they’ have worse reach and are slower without giving significantly more damage.

Anyone else noticed this?

• I haven’t notice the model actually extending past the hitbox, but the poleaxe definitely lacks the reach of the longsword, even though it is listed as having almost the exact same reach. I think you might be right. If so, I’d really like to see that fixed.

Otherwise, I really like the poleaxe. It’s a very balanced weapon because it’s not terribly slow and it can reliably 2-shot any class if you use overheads and the occasional thrust. In exchange, you give up the ability to 1-shot archers that the longsword has, which I can live with.

It’s also the only weapon that I know of that can both decapitate people (with slashes) and burst heads (with overhead), which is a nice bit of gory flair. :-)

• I can feel this also the reach really doesn’t match the model.

• I use 99% of the times the poleaxe because it’s my favourite weapon, and I agree with everything above.

• Poleaxe got, I believe, an unintentional buff this patch and it’s pretty damn powerful now, arguably, over-powerful. It’s not in the patch notes, because it’s under ‘Double Axe’ instead. There’s nothing wrong with its tracers though.

• I get that with most weapons, seems worse since the patch. I can be literally close enough to a person that my movement gets blocked and a slash will still not “reach”. I can be killed by a 1h weapon while my spear does not connect with the guy. Yet somehow my movement connects with the guy.

Unfortunately for me, while the new added features of the patch are nice, the actual gameplay feels worse than it did before. Feels clunkier and slower and those problems I’m having with hitboxes making it seem like I may as well be trying to stab people with a matchstick regardless of the weapon I use. Usually on pings of around 40 - 70.

Feint and parry seem less effective as well and flinching is just as random as it was before. I’ve even taken damage from successful parries in 1v1 duels.

• Well, i dont know about the hitbox technically, but, remember, the poleaxe SHOULD have a shorter reach than a lot of the longer swords - look at where your hands would be on the ‘pole’ part of the ‘axe’, and you realize, in most situations, it should have a shorter reach than most 2 handed weapons…

So are you sure your actually ‘touching’ the target? or are you expecting too much ‘reach’ out of it?

And if its ‘touching’ maybe we should be arguing for a shorter animation reach, than a longer technical reach, given the physics i just mentioned…

Also on the parry thing - I’ve noticed a lot going through my parry, and the combo ‘swing-counter swing’, being a a little finicky to pull-off. It feels like, especially in the parry department, its very much ping related. i think its effectiveness window should maybe loosened/widened a bit, to overcome the ping issue, and perhaps the combo window loosened a bit as well. I’m talking fractions of a second, not complete button-mash mode - just enough to make them work in a wider range of ‘pings’.

That is, if thats the problem that those two moves are having - ping affecting the timing affectiveness that is.

Thats what it feels like though. 8-)

• The Halberd thrust is also off, I will hit a target despite the weapon not touching them sometimes.

• It sounds like this is all just the poleaxe having a slightly crumby reach (I still don’t think its in-game stats reflect its actual reach very well) and ping-related stuff, actually.

As I’ve said before, how the game engine handles lag must be a complex issue, and I’m certain it affects gameplay. Recently I’ve been having problems with dying to weapon attacks before the enemy even exits windup, especially on combo attacks. It’s like their weapons are about a quarter of a second ahead of where I see them. I’m thinking about recording it and slowing it down just to make sure I’m not insane.

@Ving:

Well, i dont know about the hitbox technically, but, remember, the poleaxe SHOULD have a shorter reach than a lot of the longer swords - look at where your hands would be on the ‘pole’ part of the ‘axe’, and you realize, in most situations, it should have a shorter reach than most 2 handed weapons…

With weapons like this, as you swing it, your left hand is supposed to slide down the handle to meet your right hand, which extends its reach. Looking at how a person holds it while idle is not a good reflection of what happens when you swing it.

• I’ve unlocked all the weapons and can confirm the poleaxe was the easiest to unlock. That is if we are talking about the t2 knight 2h axe. That thing almost has the reach of a halberd.

• I generally feel that most weapons have something strange going on with their reach, i sometimes got hit by a weapon that was not even near me, and it wasn’t lag or latency!

• @Rognik:

@Ving:

Well, i dont know about the hitbox technically, but, remember, the poleaxe SHOULD have a shorter reach than a lot of the longer swords - look at where your hands would be on the ‘pole’ part of the ‘axe’, and you realize, in most situations, it should have a shorter reach than most 2 handed weapons…

With weapons like this, as you swing it, your left hand is supposed to slide down the handle to meet your right hand, which extends its reach. Looking at how a person holds it while idle is not a good reflection of what happens when you swing it.

Oh I agree, however, its very situational, in RL depending on how much of a wind-up you would have, how far away the target is, and your decision as to speed vs impact. (Like a 2-handed wood chopping axe)

I would imagine, since this is not really easy to replicate, and isnt, the weapon will always feel a little ‘off’ unless a huge amount of work is put into its animations and physics.

I mean, i feel the short reach thing too, like your hand isnt sliding on an overhead when your long ranging someone as you would in rl.

I just dont think the game has the advanced physics (nor do any to date to my (knowledge) that takes into account either what you or I are implying, so, might just be more realistic on the players part to get used to its ‘medium swing/overhead’ way its portrayed in game…

Either that, or we would have to talk handle hits, or less impactful hits, when the target is face-hugging… In other words, i think its balanced for a narrower long range than in rl, but the kicker is, it doesnt give you handle hits for being too close either… and that balance though not realistic, balances it game mechanic wise vs the vanguards spear and halberds.

I prefer more realism actually, but i understand why its the way it is for game balance. They should just shorten the handle on the model, and then it would look right when you swing it i think.