Tips (Long read)

• Long Read

General combat

-When they say look at enemy’s weapon tip to block, they mean it.

-The closer the enemy is to you, the more you have to turn and look in the direction of the attack to block. Otherwise it will go through around your blocks.

-When someone’s stab is going through your blocks, then you need to look more to your left.

-When someone’s ‘‘2-hand weapon’’ overhead is going through your blocks, then you need to look more upward. Sometimes even 90 degrees upward.

-When someone’s ‘‘1-hand weapon’’ overhead is going through your blocks, then you need to look more to your right.

-When someone’s sideswing is going through your blocks, then you need to look more to your left.

-You can swing around parries/shields by facehugging and swinging around enemy’s body.

-You can sidestep around the enemy and land a swing around them because of lag.

-Sidestep to your right and stab, jump and overhead, or sidestep to your left and overhead.

-Doing stab - initiate a combo - feint - stab again results in a slightly faster stab than just doing stab - stab. (It was an exploit before, and although it was fixed, this stab speed bonus still exists.)

-Trading means exchanging hits. Enemy hits you and you hit him at the same time.

-You do not want to trade if enemy has a more powerful weapon than you. For example, enemy has a maul and you have a sword.

-You do not want to trade if enemy is a tankier class.

-You do not want to trade if you are 1 hit away from dying.

-When fighting an enemy 1v1, if you think enemy will feint the next attack, then swing again after your swing was blocked. If enemy feints, he will get hit and be disabled. -What this means is: You attacked and enemy blocked. If he attacks but feints the first swing, you can land your attack faster if you swung right after you were parried.

-You have to block the attack if enemy starts attack animation right after parrying. They cannot feint out of it.

-If there is a slight pause after their parry, they may feint.

-While holding your shield up, you can attack without releasing the rightmousebutton/the shield.

-Sometimes you will get into shield stuck state, where you cannot attack with holding the RMB. To get out of this state, simply block an enemy attack, then while holding RMB, click any attack.

-Looking straight down while doing an overhead results in much faster, almost instant hit.

-You can stab and drag the stab around enemy’s body. This trick works best with Brandistock.

-Make it a habit to always sprint when moving forward to attack. You cannot sprint forward after you start attacking, or doing a combo. Always sprint before attempting any attack.

-If enemy misses an attack on you due to distance, more than likely you will miss your attack too unless you sprint forward.

-Touch (facehug) someone who is sprinting around at least once to stop his movement before attacking. Otherwise, the enemy may be moving too fast for your attack, causing you to miss.

-Terrain height difference makes the combat different slightly. If you are on a slightly higher bump and enemy is slightly below you, enemy has to look up more to block your overhead attack.

-When blocking stab, you sometimes get pushed back slightly. Don’t attack until you are sure that you can hit the enemy.

-It’s not always your turn to attack after you block an enemy’s attack. Don’t attack until you are certain you can hit your weapon.

-The longer enemy’s weapon is, the more you have to look in the direction of the incoming attack to block it.

–-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weapon specific

1-hand weapons - People like to hit around your blocks. Watch out for sidestepping and then… sideswing from your left, overhead from your right, or stab from your left and slightly below.

2-hand swords - Overhead hits really fast when close. Other swings are easy to block.

2-hand sword with shields - Stab is the most effective. Stab is used often with this setup. Overhead comes from your right unlike when using without a shield. So you have to look more to your right to block. People tend to not sideswing with this setup, so be prepared to block a feint-to-overhead/stab.

Spear/Fork/Brandistock - Really long range poke. Long stab duration time. Watch out for stabbing away and dragging around. To block this, you need to look slightly in the direction that it’s coming from.

Bardiche/Billhook/Halberd - Long range, but fairly easy to block. Watch out for the stab dragging. Overhead hits super fast when close.

Maul/Grand Mace - Do not trade hits. Overhead is one shot for the 3 weaker classes. Overhead and sideswing release time is much slower than other weapons so do not block too early. Watch out for overhead-stab, or overhead-feint-stab because the stab preparation animation looks similar to idle state.

Warhammer - Swing path the same as other 1-handers. Don’t trade hits. People claim it has longer reach than it looks, but in reality, the weapon has slow swing duration time, so enemy can close in while it is near the end of the swing.

Hatchet - Super fast overhead speed. Experienced players usually overhead.

Dane Axe - Super long range even though it is a 1-hand weapon. Also usually overhead.

Norse sword - Also super fast overhead speed.

Hatchet/Norse Sword’s parry-to-overhead is almost instant. It is ridiculously fast so watch out for that.

Class specific

Archer

-If an archer lands a hit on you, you HAVE to block the next attack. You cannot attack him unless you block, because his weapons have much faster attack speed.

-As an archer, you must facehug an opponent so you do not miss your attack. If you miss an attack, you are as good as dead.

Man at Arms

-He moves fast and gets in and out of your range quickly if you are also not a MAA.

-It’s better to use faster weapon if you are a knight, but slower weapons are manageable.

-If you have a longer weapon than what MAA has, use it to your advantage.

-As a vanguard, you can keep swinging and backpedal to keep him away, but experienced players can dash in and get an attack in during your cooldown.

-As a knight, always sprint forward to attack. You can queue your attack and if MAA dashes backward, immediately feint then queue another attack. This way, you will be able to hit him without missing.

Different types of MAA

One or any combination of the following:
    -Slow MAA - Doesn’t dash, backpedal only.
    -Frenzy MAA - Doesn’t stop attacking.
    -Back/Forward MAA - Dashing back and forward to get out of your range and annoy you.
    -Side dash MAA - Norse Sword MAA. Side dashing to get around your blocks. Look almost 90 degrees to your left to block dash-stab. Look the opposite way for overhead.
    -Jump MAA - Hatchet/Dane Axe MAA. After landing a hit on you, this MAA jumps and overheads, screwing up your block.
    -Shield MAA - MAA’s shield is broad. So stab and sideswing might not work. Overhead is most effective.

Vanguard

-Look above for different types of Vanguard weapon tips.

-Occasionally, you may run into Vanguards that hits, quickly turn 180, run away, queue attack, then come back to hit you. To deal with this:
    Either, wait, stay still and make him miss the attack, Or sprint forward, following him, but do not attack right away. Block the next one, facehug him, and stop his movement. THEN now it’s your turn to attack.

-Vanguard’s long weapons sometimes pushes you back with stabs. Don’t attack after blocking, as you might completely miss your attack. Instead, wait and block another one while sprinting forward. This will get you into range. Then attack.

Knights

-Hard to kill unless you get better at feinting or getting around shields. Most of knight’s weapons do tons of damage, so do not trade hits.

-Tower shield - Hard to get stab/sideswing in. overhead is better and easier to land.

-Smaller shield - Easy to get around with any attacks.

-You have to look more in the direction of the incoming attacks with shields. Otherwise, the attacks may go around your shield.

When using a shield, watch out for these:

-Sideswing-feint-Overhead - Makes you to turn your shield to your left to hit from your right.

-Sideswing-feint-Sideswing - Makes you to turn your shield to your right to hit from your left. (Because you thought they were doing sideswing-feint-overhead)

-Overhead-feint-Overhead - Opposite of the above.

-Jump/Overhead-feint-Stab - Tricks you into raising your shield up to get a stab in.

-Sidestep-to-Stab - On your screen, it may look like you are blocking his attack, but the enemy is actually much farther to your left than you think. You need to turn more, almost 50-60 degrees to block this.

Aiming with Throwables

-At the distance you usually throw your Axe/Knife (Almost double to triple the spear length), Aim roughly the body width away from enemy’s current position.

• Great post!!

• Hopefully these tips will deal with all the new players saying ‘hacker’ ‘too many bugs’

• @boomandvibe:

Hopefully these tips will deal with all the new players saying ‘hacker’ ‘too many bugs’

I was kicked from a FFA server for that…

• Thanks for the list! It seems sort of weird to list out all these quirks with melee hit detection, but I guess you have to know them to understand how to make contact.

The overhead strike is the hardest one for me to work out. I try to aim the dot, but I think I tend to whiff to the left of my target. I wish I could see the vertical contact path to know for sure. Is there any way to track your swing arc visually (like a swing tracer)? Probably not…

• @VedicIntent:

Thanks for the list! It seems sort of weird to list out all these quirks with melee hit detection, but I guess you have to know them to understand how to make contact.

The overhead strike is the hardest one for me to work out. I try to aim the dot, but I think I tend to whiff to the left of my target. I wish I could see the vertical contact path to know for sure. Is there any way to track your swing arc visually (like a swing tracer)? Probably not…

most 2-handers have straight down path.

most 1-handers have left-to-right overhead path.

when using 1-hander, make a conscious effort not to drag your mouse to the right. Aim with crosshair.

Also, aoc_drawtracer 1

• @boomandvibe:

most 1-handers have left-to-right overhead path.

when using 1-hander, make a conscious effort not to drag your mouse to the right. Aim with crosshair.

Awesome, thanks, that’s probably my issue. And based on the “look down for faster overhead contact,” a blow will hit anywhere along the “release” animation?

@boomandvibe:

Also, aoc_drawtracer 1

Does that do what I think it does? No waaaaaay…

• These tips are great, I didn’t know about some of the tricks here, great help.

• @boomandvibe:

Hopefully these tips will deal with all the new players saying ‘hacker’ ‘too many bugs’

You really think those people read the forums?

• @BGrey:

@boomandvibe:

You really think those people read the forums?

Then suggest them to read this post.

@Boris:

These tips are great, I didn’t know about some of the tricks here, great help.

The shield bug fix was something I found out yesterday by accident.

• +5 points to OP

• Added more stuff. Enjoy.

• Thanks this is an addition to the tutorial vids on Youtube. Spread the word guys!^^

• I found this a great help! Thank you sir :D

• need tips againts polearm, using greatsword

• @Agannazar’s:

need tips againts polearm, using greatsword

Like halberd or bardiche? it’s just like fighting against another greatsword. Block. Attack. If you have read my post thoroughly, you shouldn’t have a problem with swings going around your blocks. If you are getting hit, you need more practice on blocking.

You are probably backpedaling longer than you need to, so you are losing distance when the enemy backs up. Don’t be backpedaling when parrying. Move forward when blocking. There is no reason to backpedal while blocking, unless you have a longer weapon and can hit the enemy after he misses. (Which is not the case here)

Polearm reach is longer than greatsword, so if he misses you, you will miss him too if you swing right after.

As for spear or brandistock, blocking is easier than halberd or bardiche because there’s only 2 ways that spear/brandistock can attack. However, their overheadattack/long thrust is really slow. So don’t block too early or you will get hit.

Read my tip post again if you have trouble with distance management. Read the class specific, Vanguard section.

• make some videos

• @Agannazar’s:

make some videos

I don’t know how. I tried fraps and it lagged horribly.

• These tips are all perfect but you missed a huge one.

Jumping, crouching, or staying still will negate the short lunge forward that attacks have. This can often mean the difference between life and death when being rushed down.

Also! Crouching and attacking has a much smaller profile than crouch-walking and attacking. So if you’re trying to duck under an attack, you should stop walking briefly.

Excellent tips, and I hope they help out some of the people struggling against the more competitive players.

• Great stuff thanks