Duel Control

• Hi All

New player here as well as new to the boards. :)

I thought long and hard before choosing “Chivalry” over “War of the Roses” and in the end three things made up my mind.

1/ Watched a video by Jef Major and “Chivalry” just seemed like it would be more fun.
    2/ Watched an excellent comparison video by Total Biscuit, which had me nodding in agreement almost all the way through.
    3/ Saw plenty of footage in which “Chivalry” players seemed to approach battles in a more thoughtful (for want of a better word) manner, while “WotR” players seemed more inclined to just bundle in and it was this last point which sold me the most as I was hoping for something with a little finesse. (Despite all the head chopping and arm lopping :lolz:)

My first port of call on joining was a duel server and it was great. A nice bunch of guys who gave me lots of advice as they chopped me into tiny pieces. One chap even put his sword away each time we faced up, and beat me using only his mailed fists. (I really would have liked to beat him just once!)

Each fight was a proper duel, with challenges issued (and accepted once I knew to press “C”) and sometimes people just watching and waiting to take on the victor. It was all an excellent first experience. What a great way to learn the game controls before tackling any of the more manic game modes. Assuming of course that I ever bothered to switch. :D

Problem is though… I’ve never seen this standard since! :( I can’t remember the name of that first duel server and every one I’ve tried since that day has been a “duel server” in name only, while in reality only being a free for all.

It wasn’t only me looking either. The action was regularly punctuated by someone or other asking over the chat channel “is this not a duel server?” A question which more than once I saw greeted by a stream of foul language. :(

So anyway, this prompted me here to borrow the combined wisdom of the “Chivalry” forums, to ask you two (hopefully not too stupid) questions.

1/ It seems to me that the duel server is quite a popular variation and I wondered why the developers had not made it an official game mode type, separate from the free for all mode.

2/ Assuming that the above is a bit of an ask… can anyone recommend a good duel server which;
    a/ does exactly what it says on the tin &
    b/ doesn’t mind a newbie Badger joining in, who has two left feet and could probably do more damage with a rusty spoon! :lolz:

All the best
    Badger

• Right now duel servers are FFA servers, so people sometimes don’t respect duels and all they do is kill everyone. If you can’t find one all you can do is deal with it. But, I got good news for you, if I remember correctly they stated that there will be a duel only mode in the future. :fenc:

• Yep, a duel mode is planned. And also I can’t wait for some CTF :D

If you wana duel go on FFA servers that have the tag “duel servers”, use C to accept a duel, but as previously stated, sometimes people do not follow the rules, especially with the new flux of new players… but well, It use to be the same thing on Jedi Academy which had a very disciplined community.

Glad you bought the game. I did exactly as you did. What also made up my mind is the increasing player base. There’s an average of 500~1000 people playing WOTR (according to steam stats), whereas Chivalry has around 4000~8000 since the autumn sale.

• @R0m:

If you wana duel go on FFA servers that have the tag “duel servers”, use C to accept a duel, but as previously stated, sometimes people do not follow the rules, especially with the new flux of new players… but well, It use to be the same thing on Jedi Academy which had a very disciplined community.

I loved running a server on Jedi Academy back in the day, and I love running a Chivalry server now. Those were some good times. Think I went as “^MrJ” and eventually held a clan “«ÖÇл”. Haha - I was such a nerd.

I enjoyed that someone else brought this up - that community was awesome. Fun stuff.