BUG: Pop noise, then no sound

• At random, when changing map (or rather, entering the freshly loaded new map) or entering a server, a pop sound is heard as if I unplugged my speakers or headphones and all game sound is henceforth turned off. Any other program, like foobar2000 or Teamspeak, continue to function, though.
    When leaving the game, upon entering the main menu, another pop is heard and the sound returns. (Re-)Joining a server after this recreates the problem, including a pop noise before the silence.
    Only way to remedy this is to restart the game entirely. Which isn’t optimal, because with the recent autumn sales, the amount of players has sky rocketed and getting into a server is hard.

Additional info, if needed, is available.

EDIT: Found this thread just now!

• Not sure what foobar2000 is, but if you exit it and teamspeak, does the sound issue still happen?

• @ReMixx:

Not sure what foobar2000 is, but if you exit it and teamspeak, does the sound issue still happen?

Haha, if you entered ‘foobar2000’ in Google, you would have gotten the answer faster than it took you to write that sentence! ;)
    It’s a music player. It’s superior to Windows Media Player in about every way.

The bug happens with or without these programs running.
    Seeing as how the sound comes back when re-entering the menu and it going away again when entering another server, the problem seems to lie with the game or how it interacts with other aspects of the system.

• Are your sound drivers up to date?

For kicks and giggles, can you verify the game cache in Steam?

• same exactly problem here.

• @ReMixx:

Are your sound drivers up to date?

For kicks and giggles, can you verify the game cache in Steam?

Yes, yes, sound drivers are up to date. The latest drivers for my soundcard are from 2010. ;)
    Not to be rude, but let’s just say I’m not a newbie at PC stuff. There’s always a chance I overlooked something, though.

Verification turned up 100% complete, by the way.

With everything I’ve seen and tried when the bug occurs, I can only conclude it is a game-related bug.
    But if it’s in the game itself or how it interacts with the rest of my system is still a question mark.
    The fact that sound returns when I enter the main menu, and the bug reoccurring after rejoining a server, strongly suggests a fault in the game code. :(

• I’m having the exact same issue.
    On joining game, pop noise. Then no sound. If I leave game, sound returns. Then when I join again, same issue. Must be an intermittent thing because the other games I joined earlier today and yesterday didn’t have a problem.

• Yes, I have the same problem since the game’s release (up till now, post-patch). It is really annoying since some servers are very full and when i finally am able to to join the game, I have no sound. It is a major disadvantage since I can’t hear my enemies coming up behind me.

I have also confirmed that all other applications are able to generate sound (eg. task switch to desktop and playing music via itunes or a movie via VLC or youtube).

• Still no change here. Only happens with this game, for sure.

• I’m pretty bummed out by the fact no official reply has been made in regards to this specific problem.

• @Bucketsmith:

I’m pretty bummed out by the fact no official reply has been made in regards to this specific problem.

I think the fact that only a few people out of the thousands of players experience it contributes to that. They have bigger fish to fry ~ server browser/tutorial/etc. Keep in mind that there’s only ~2 programmers on the dev team.

Does it happen in any other Unreal Engine 3 game?

• Developer

I’m gonna run this by the programmers, they are working with the hotfix so hopefully I can get them after that to take a gander asap. Those of you having this issue– anybody have no sound problems before patch and then had this start post patch? Or has this happened since launch, or do you not know because you first played after patch?

The reason I am asking is because I comb through looking for sound threads and I do not recall this issue being brought up since the game launched.

• Can’t help you there since I haven’t played before the patch but I have the same issue as posted before.
    When I join a server I hear a pop/tick and then the sound is off, then when I leave the server and get to main menu the sound comes back but then even the tutorial has no sound.

Tried the posted fix of running dxsetup but after a while the problem comes back, which is sad because I love this game and alot of that has to do with the awesome sound effects :)

• @sir_loin:

I’m gonna run this by the programmers, they are working with the hotfix so hopefully I can get them after that to take a gander asap. Those of you having this issue– anybody have no sound problems before patch and then had this start post patch? Or has this happened since launch, or do you not know because you first played after patch?

The reason I am asking is because I comb through looking for sound threads and I do not recall this issue being brought up since the game launched.

I’ve played pre-patch. The problem started post-patch here.
    Lately, it hasn’t happen a lot, though.

• Developer

Thanks for the info guys. Knowing your issue started post patch Bucket should help alot.

• @sir_loin:

Thanks for the info guys. Knowing your issue started post patch Bucket should help alot.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do. I’m fairly expert at hardware and software, so I might be able to uncover something.

• I’m also experiencing this, as are a fair number of other users (check the steam forums). The problem manifests exactly as OP described: a “popping” sound during gampelay, then an inability to get sound in-game (except at the main menu). Exiting and restarting the game temporarily fixes it.

Super annoying.

• Developer

Could it be related to this in anyway? Only sound dropout issue I can repro:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10550

• You know, since I reinstalled my system, I didn’t have this issue anymore.
    The only difference is that I have it installed through UEFI instead of BIOS.

I’ve never had voice enabled in-game. The key wasn’t assigned either.

• I have this problem also, paid £19 and I get this strait away! wtf is this! :(