Your opinion on the new crossbows

• In my opinion, the velocity changes in addition to what we had pre-patch really seperated bows and crossbows enough and I’m happy with how it is atm.
    However, I’m still not sure about the heavy crossbow and the pavise shield.

Heavy crossbow

After some decent testing it turns out to be a total Archer and Maa killer now. Maa have a hard time dodging it and the arrow speed is a real winner in longrange archer battles. In close range my bolt always kills first so I win any duel against a bow archer, as long as I aim properly. Btw maa are easier to hit than other melees because they mostly flank and therefore have long journeys around the map. Long and dangerous journeys, where they trade safely movement for speed and heavy xbow oneshots them to the chest. Also, I like to shotgun them, and they don’t always carry a shield for some reason.
    Vanguards** are kind of a medium target. Yea, most of them are unprotected, but they are still fast and their weapon range / charge attack make them behave really unpredictable sometimes. This might not be a problem to bows, but the heavy crossbow totally lacks rate of fire to even try hit one while an archer / maa is around. In my competetive environment, vanguards are starting to use smokepots -finally- and they turn out to be very effective against crossbows. Seriously, reloading is such a pain that nobody with half a brain would go for a lucky shot. Not to mention a friend could be somewhere in / behind the smoke. It is indeed a very effective counter, but public server randoms rather go for the greedy kill than safety.
    Knights** are a total no-go. You need 2-5 shots for a knight with a warbow / heavy crossbow. (Knights with shield ofc). Why 5? you need at least 2 hits + some misses (NOBODY has a 100% accuracy - NOBODY) + what he manages to block with his shield (which is not a big deal to a knight and prevents all headshots at least). 5 Hits against a rank 25+ Knight would actually be an adequate result but this is totally not do-able for the heavy crossbow. I see, the devs (intentionally or not) made warbow an anti knight / high-rank archer weapon and heavy crossbow an anti squishy weapon. Still, I wish the heavy crossbow were any good against knight, it’s what they were made for after all ( I know realism doesn’t count but still).
    Pavise shield**

It is, in theory, a really nice tool and although it does a fine job covering your back while you turn around for reloading, it really needs some improvement:

• I’m pretty sure it decreases the headhitbox’s size of xbowmen for some reason. (Bug)
    • It breaks immediatly on set up when placed on most non-urban (an therefore very flat) surfaces. (Bug)
    • It breaks if someone walkes against it from an elevated position (even if just a few pixel). (Bug)
    • Setting it up in buildings with a closed ceiling sometimes causes the shield to land ontop of the roof or hang from the ceiling (Bug)
    • It is too small to cover you completly when placed on a slope. Ranged units on a elevated position should have an advantage- not disadvantage. Edit: If it were any bigger we would not be able to shoot above it while standing >.<

I reckon these points contribute a lot to why most people just play like they didn’t have one, so please change / fix them.

What is your opinion / experience with the new crossbows?

What do you want to be changed?

Any suggestions?

Why?**

• Not a big fan of crossbows, if any Crossbow I use it’s the regular crossbow, rarily ever using the pavise shield unless I really -need- cover. Otherwise I just move to a safer spot. I do enjoy picking off archers at the spawn with a regular crossbow from Trebuchet 2 position as an Agathain.

I tried the heavy crossbow a few times, but it didn’t really feel all that great, perhaps its because I still need to get used to the new bolt and arrow speeds, or maybe it’s because I’m just not an archer person.

• I find the crossbow efficient but kinda boring.
    When I play archer I usually pick either the bow or javelin.
    Heavy crossbow is quite lethal, though.

• Wow that is not much. Anyone using the crossbow? No? :(

• @Escadin:

Wow that is not much. Anyone using the crossbow? No? :(

It’s efficient, but maybe the reason many of us don’t use it that much is it lacks style and epicness.
    Aside from Guillaume Tell (and even then, I’m not sure he’s famous outside of western Europe), there’s no legendary crossbowmen (or at least that I know of).
    It’s just like a some kind of medieval gun, you load it, you click the trigger. While a bow requires much more talent.

Also what I like about the bow is the fact that you can disable the crosshair. It makes it much more enjoyable and intuitive.
    You can with the crossbow as well, but it doesn’t have the same effect.

• @The:

@Escadin:

Wow that is not much. Anyone using the crossbow? No? :(

It’s efficient, but maybe the reason many of us don’t use it that much is it lacks style and epicness.
    Aside from Guillaume Tell (and even then, I’m not sure he’s famous outside of western Europe), there’s no legendary crossbowmen (or at least that I know of).
    It’s just like a some kind of medieval gun, you load it, you click the trigger. While a bow requires much more talent.

Also what I like about the bow is the fact that you can disable the crosshair. It makes it much more enjoyable and intuitive.
    You can with the crossbow as well, but it doesn’t have the same effect.

Well in this game bows basically work like they had a trigger as well… Press LMB for a perfect shot hurray! ^^

• @Escadin:

Well in this game bows basically work like they had a trigger as well… Press LMB for a perfect shot hurray! ^^

Yes, in the game. But I wasn’t talking about that, I wasn’t saying how easy it was with the crossbow in the game. What I was saying is people don’t care too much for it because it’s not a big thing in popular culture. You can find dozens legendary archers in any culture of any part of the world.
    Crossbowmen, not so much.

• @The:

@Escadin:

Yes, in the game. But I wasn’t talking about that, I wasn’t saying how easy it was with the crossbow in the game. What I was saying is people don’t care too much for it because it’s not a big thing in popular culture. You can find dozens legendary archers in any culture of any part of the world.
    Crossbowmen, not so much.

because tales of valor cant be spun around a guy who cant 1v12 effectivly. mich like swords play bows have a grand dramatazation around them in lore, you cant do that with a crossbow because theres the whole reloading thing.

ive been using the xbow a bit more often now but my problem is it still doesnt offer enough advantage over the bows to use most of the time. bolt speed is nice now, but im trading minimum 2x the damage, mobility, safty, for just faster bolt speed. it became a campers weapon for sure, i see alot more xbows used, but that goes to another prroblem i have.

arrow cam. it seriously needs to be removed.

• After the javelin nerf, my new favorite ranged weapon is the crossbow. I seriously underestimated the damage it does… the standard crossbow one shots archers and two shots knights, warbow has a huge charging time and you can only chose one of those. The bolts also travel so fast, it’s a nearly instant hit at close range.

One of my favorite tricks with a loaded crossbow is to put it away when someone zig zags toward me, melee them to soften him up, and if he backs up to regen or maneuver around me, THEN i pull out the loaded crossbow and kill him before he can react. Reloading really isn’t that bad, you just need to mindful of danger and find a few spots on the map where it’s safe. Also you can use it as a lure, often enemies will see you reload and run through danger trying to kill you; most don’t know you can just press 2 to cancel the reload into your secondary and parry as your allies kill him.