Stuff that's broken and how to fix it

• I just got this game this weekend, and at first I just found it frustrating. Then I played it more, and it’s really fun, but still pretty frustrating. Anyway I’m going to list my gripes here, and for the ones that could use game-play improvements, I’ll make a suggestion.

The Archer
    The archer is really hard. It seems to be easily the weakest overall. I get that there will be something weakest overall, but it doesn’t need to be so insanely hard to play.
    Range: It is super hard to hit anything. I feel there is just too much to predict, and most of it is based on distance, except that in the game I have no ‘feel’ for distance. I can fire a few shots to figure it out, but by then my target has moved. Even at close ranges I find it to be super easy to misjudge and over or undershoot a target.
    Please implement a way to more easily estimate distances in the game without doing something too obvious like show an expected flight path.
    Weapon Switch: It’s painfully slow, but my real complaint is how the game handles interruptions. Multiple times, my archer will put the bow away and almost finish the draw dagger animation when I take a hit. All the sudden I have the bow in my hand again. What? That doesn’t even make sense at all, and it’s practically infuriating. Also, the game will not allow me to switch weapons when I’m looking down the sights of my crossbow, which also makes no sense to me.
    If you take a hit during a weapon swap, complete the swap after a certain point and allow weapon swap even when looking down sights.

Hit boxes
    This could be a bug, but it is my experience from attacking afk players and active players that the game does not recognize the top half of the head as a part of the model you can hit (100% of the time, not just sometimes). I’ve had arrows, swords, and maces all fly through people’s heads with no hit registered. All of my ‘headshots’ have been hits at the neck.
    Please make the game realize that hitting people above the eyes does in fact hurt.
    Minimum Range
    It happens a lot where I’m sure I cut someone with my dagger but it doesn’t hit. My movement will be restricted because I am colliding with the guy and my hits won’t register. Also, the long battle axes shouldn’t hurt so much when I am ‘that’ close because the head of the axe wouldn’t be hitting me.
    If the game doesn’t already have it, I would like to see a minimum range added where a player takes reduced damage for being inside the optimal range of a weapon
    Feedback Grunts
    Expanding on the above, it’s really hard to learn how to correctly hit someone when you have no idea what you are doing wrong. It would be nice to have some feedback describing the kind of miss that I had. Having everything that is not a hit have just the wiff noise isn’t helpful. I think it would really add to the sounds of battle to add new sounds, and it would probably work best using grunts from the characters.
    Please add a specific grunting noise attacks that just barely missed giving feedback on how a player missed. If you are too far away, hear “guh”, too close hear “ugh”, just to the side hear “hug”, etc.

So except for this stuff, awesome game.

• Hi, welcome to the game. I don’t want to sound condescending, (sincerely), but you do need to get better first. I have no issues hitting things as an archer (not 100% obviously), it just takes practise. Real medieval arhers didn’t even have a crosshair so we’re one up on them there (i actually turned off my crosshair accidentally once though and found t didnt affect my aim detrimentally). As for whiffing noises, I don’t think they’re necessary. Just learn to tell where your weapon is at all times. Also, increase your POV to at least 110.

I do agree that weapon switch could be faster but i have learned to live with it (or die with it as the case may be).

Hit detection is flawed if much better than before. Give it a few more weeks at least. The learnin curve is still there for you to discover. Take your time and read this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6347&view=unread#unread

• I’ve also noticed (and been infuriated by) Archer weapon switch problems. Specifically, and these are probably all just one simple problem with cludgy animations/interruptions:

–Getting hit from range while drawing my bow: causes a stagger, which is fine. However, my character then attempts to draw the bow again, and incompletely draw it at that before I can do anything else with my weapon - whether it be draw it for real, or switch to melee weapon.

–While fighting someone who’s closing with me, if I get hit either with a long weapon from them or from range while drawing the bow, pushing ‘2’ for melee weapon switch does not register until the above-mentioned buggy-incomplete-fakedraw of the bow has completed. This often results in not being able to pull out a melee weapon and all, and subsequent defenseless death.

The solution to this? Fix it so that if you push ‘2’ (and I am always mashing ‘2’ just as fast as I can) during your stagger, it doesn’t attempt to draw the bow. My hunch is that the faildraw is caused by holding M1 and being interrupted, and the stagger does not properly clear what you were doing when you got staggered. And because of human biology, you won’t release M1 until a split second after you were staggered and the game will thus think that you still had M1 down, and thus attempt to draw the bow again immediately after the stagger ends. Only then will you pull out your shortsword, but that’s 3-4 seconds later, and you’re usually already dead.

Also, in general, I think that the arrow velocity penalty for aiming at a higher angle is too high. It makes archers just a little too ineffective at decent ranges, unless they are elevated, which leads to them needing to get closer, which leads to a higher frequency of the extremely infuriating stagger/faildraw/weapon switch problem I’ve detailed above.

Other than that and agreeing with optimal range being needed (especially for the long-shafted weapons), which are both really minor fixes as you can adjust your play to cope with the unrealism ( ;) ), the most frustrating issue I have with this game is OHMYGOD THE COLLISION MODELING IS HORRIBLE. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been stuck on a rock, unable to get off even by kicking (which shouldn’t be necessary to get yourself unstuck from the side of a hill in the first place), while I get shot to death by an archer. Or how many times I’ve been backing up to my teammates, only to get stuck on a 3-inch twig sticking out from a tree and not be able to back up any further - even if I am also side-stepping while backing up!

Which reminds me of one other infuriating detail: shooting people who are interacting with a siege weapon, battering ram, etc., is extremely buggy. From the side or at an angle, they are often not actually where the game displays them to be. I can’t tell you how many arrows I’ve seen disappear into a knight’s chest while he was working the battering ram at the gate, only to not get a hit. He’s stationary and I aimed carefully, following the projectile with the camera, and it just disappears into his body. He takes no damage from that arrow, nor any of the 3 that follow. And don’t tell me it’s because I’m just bad at the game - I’m not so bad at archery that I miss a target that hasn’t moved in 5 or 15 seconds, multiple times. I will admit that I have sometimes missed with the first shot, but that’s how I know the following shots should have hit :P .

• Okay you made some points, and Most i do not agree with i think it is down to your skill.

This game relies on that, I don’t find arching particular to easy… However, Alot of people are getting frustrated with archers… one is okay… a few more is VERY DEADLY… i can’t even run 30 feet around them with out getting hit by 2 arrows or more from multiple archers…

In some games, people rage and leave the server due to archers… to many, on a team, or to many arrows flying at you, but some times you come across an archer who IS VERY GOOD, and he alone changes the balance of the game, There is always one, so i dont’ think they shoudl improove the archer, the only thing that needs improving is the noises you mentioned, and i would like to add, making the cursor RED when over the enimie, like every other class…

But then again, this is improving, the archer making it easy.

I think they should reduce the reload speed, but this game likes to be realistic ish, so might not happen.

There has been a patch, recently the first patch, and hit detection IS FAR BETTER THEN BEFORE, and it is something they are constantly working on.

Also, as for weapon swap, yes I agree with you, it’s not fast as an archer…

• @sparky89:

There has been a patch, recently the first patch, and hit detection IS FAR BETTER THEN BEFORE, and it is something they are constantly working on.

It has gotten better (I’ve been playing almost daily since day 1), and they’re still doing pretty decently for a 3-4 week old game, but I’m just pointing out that there’s still a lot of room for improvement.

And almost entirely in the hit detection/collision/pathing department.

• Real medieval arhers didn’t even have a crosshair so we’re one up on them there (i actually turned off my crosshair accidentally once though and found t didnt affect my aim detrimentally).

That’s true, but they could also look at something and accurately judge “that’s about 50 meters away.” It’s a necessary skill for all shooting, not just bow. Even with rifles, a shooter judges distance and corrects appropriately. I’m not bad at it in real life. Unfortunately, I find it impossibly hard to judge distance in this game. I asked for an in game aid to judge distance. The shield is so worthless to me I would take a 3rd weapon that was just called ‘guesstimate’ where you stroked your chin and then the game showed (distance ± smallish random number), then I could switch to my bow and have a pretty good idea of how to shoot at it.

As for whiffing noises, I don’t think they’re necessary. Just learn to tell where your weapon is at all times.

Learning where my weapon is is actually why I want the noises. I can’t tell if my missing is a distance issue or a collision issue. It would be nice to know. So far hits with close range weapons seem to be random. The game already has a wiff noise, but since it’s the same for all ‘not hits’ I find it unhelpful.

I do agree that weapon switch could be faster but i have learned to live with it (or die with it as the case may be).

While I did complain about the speed, my request was to fix how the interruption works. I’ll say it again, it happens that I’ll see a guy coming and swap to a dagger so I can block. I put the bow away. I draw the dagger. Just before the animation finishes (so I can’t do anything just yet, but I have the dagger), I take a hit. All the sudden I have the bow in my hand again. I finished drawing my dagger, so why the bow? That is neither realistic nor sensible.