3rd Person do you use it? does anyone?

• I found 3rd person, you press p (its surprising how many don’t know that)

does anyone actually use it though

I prefer 1st person but I switch to third from time to time

• I’ve never found a use for 3rd person. Footsteps tell me what is beside or behind me, and 3rd person makes it very difficult to control distance with any precision. I feel like it should only be used when spamming LMB.

• Thirdperson gives me some additional environmental awareness, and I find it makes it a bit easier to land hits because weapons seem to have different paths on first and thirdperson. I can reliably hit around a shield in thirdperson, but never in first person.

• I find it’s terrible for combat. I only use it to try and see the helms but i wish there was some vanity cam option instead.

• I use 3rd person for melee classes, 1st person for archer. I also set FOV as high as possible for improved situational awareness.

• only use 3rd person, but just found a bug and making topic about it

• I use it if I have a tower shield or if I have a grand mace out… 3rd person homerun derbies are fun :D

• 3rd person is superior for 3 reasons.

Better field of view,
    Better early and end swing controls, which would be out of camera in 1st person and
    Slight vantage in the camera enables you to accurately see your reach and the enemy’s reach.

Coming from mount&blade, I can’t play properly with 1st person view and it feels like an handicap. It does feel more brutal in first person thought.

• I use it all the time. I do so in every melee fighting game…
    I’m much better if I see my character performing the actions.

• I’ve taken to using third person when I play with a shield. Once you get the hang of it, it makes you feel like a god. Nothing can touch you.

• The only times I switch to third person are if I’m using a greatsword, a shield, and when I am running around the map/taking cover as it gives me better situational awareness, which is kind of cheating since it lets you see around walls without being seen. Would love a server option to force first person only.

Other than that, I prefer first person much more. I too come from Mount & Blade, but this game is more like Dark Messiah than M&B (War of the Roses fits that better). Combat system needs tightening up to Dark Messiah’s level though.

• @DAOWAce:

which is kind of cheating since it lets you see around walls without being seen.

Nah, it’s not even close to cheating. It’s part of the game mechanics that everyone can do if they choose to. That’s like calling weapon zoom cheating because it lets you see farther afield. That said, I don’t think I’d play on a server that forced perspective.

• @DAOWAce:

Would love a server option to force first person only.

There is, unless the patch changed something (can’t see why). I’ve played on servers that don’t let you change perspective.

• @Janus3003:

@DAOWAce:

Would love a server option to force first person only.

There is, unless the patch changed something (can’t see why). I’ve played on servers that don’t let you change perspective.

Nope, it’s still there. And I hope they do something that unveils it before entering the server so I wouldn’t have to look for another one every time :|

@Sir:

Nah, it’s not even close to cheating. It’s part of the game mechanics that everyone can do if they choose to. That’s like calling weapon zoom cheating because it lets you see farther afield. That said, I don’t think I’d play on a server that forced perspective.

Yes, also what’s up with some people complaining about being able to look around corners? This is no shooter. It basically doesn’t matter if you can. You’re approaching your enemy face to face in any case.

• AoC didn’t have 3rd person, so 1st person is what I was already used to. I don’t like 3rd person on this kind of game, so I don’t use it at all. It’s also not enabled on our servers. I think if we’re playing in competitive mode, we should all be on the same terms, so it’s fine if you want 3rd person, just everyone should be 3rd person, or everyone be 1st person.

• @Kimiko:

AoC didn’t have 3rd person, so 1st person is what I was already used to. I don’t like 3rd person on this kind of game, so I don’t use it at all. It’s also not enabled on our servers. I think if we’re playing in competitive mode, we should all be on the same terms, so it’s fine if you want 3rd person, just everyone should be 3rd person, or everyone be 1st person.

I have to disagree. Not everyone has the same playstyle. As long as everyone has the option of choosing, there is no advantage of one over the other except what you make of it. You would create an artificial advantage by forcing people into one perspective when they do better with the other.

• @Sir:

I have to disagree. Not everyone has the same playstyle. As long as everyone has the option of choosing, there is no advantage of one over the other except what you make of it. You would create an artificial advantage by forcing people into one perspective when they do better with the other.

No worries, it’s just my opinion on it :)

I personally can’t stand 3rd person, except in like an MMORPG lol

I suppose they added 3rd person to Chiv to give people more options to those who prefer it, and again it’s fine. I’m just saying it’s what I don’t like. But for clan play, the more competitive ones prefer to go 1st person, although there are a few exceptions ;)

• 3rd person is easier, but less much fun too.
    I use it sometimes for a second to see my guy, but that’s pretty much it.

• I prefer 1st person. It feels better than the 3rd person perspective in this game. I think to “enjoy” 3rd person for me I would need to be able to zoom out more.

Now 3rd person seems to be the most effective, and can make shields overpowered. How can you get in that “sneaky stab” if your oponent has full awareness when using their tower shield? Just feels like 3rd person goes against the spirit of this game.

• @Jadarok:

I prefer 1st person. It feels better than the 3rd person perspective in this game. I think to “enjoy” 3rd person for me I would need to be able to zoom out more.

Now 3rd person seems to be the most effective, and can make shields overpowered. How can you get in that “sneaky stab” if your oponent has full awareness when using their tower shield? Just feels like 3rd person goes against the spirit of this game.

I can see why people think it’s unfair, as for me it’s easier to be in 3rd person. But I wouldn’t play it in 3rd person if it didn’t feel good. This game works as much in 3rd person as Mount&Blade and comparing games (and it looks marvelous played like that imo). So, for me it’s very well in accordance to the spirit of the game to play it like that. We’ll most certainly never agree on it but it would be wise to just tolerate each other’s view.