Where to be realistic and where not to be.

• The problem is essentially that a realistic game causes more frustration than other games when something unrealistic occurs, but conversely causes more frustration when that realism leads to ridiculous difficulty levels. So it is a balancing act, one which unfortunately Torn Banner has gotten wrong so far. Below I will list some experiences, what is wrong and what needs to be fixed to make the game more enjoyable.

Weapon Hitboxes (awful):
    There is something wrong when a point blank polearm swing will hit with full damage before a point blank one handed weapon will if swung at or nearly the same time. The swing is not actually faster on the polearm, the problem is the hitbox being the entire shaft which will hit before the one hander. Such non-sword weapons need to have primary hitboxes on the actual weapon head and secondary or even no hitboxes on the shaft.
    In this case unrealistic hitboxes detract from the game.

Unfortunately realistic hitboxes on projectiles and (maybe) thrusting weapons also detract from the game. I am not an archer or a spearman from the 1400s, I am a gamer who has a real life in the 2000s. Having to practice for hours, days, and weeks just to enjoy one aspect of a game because of its realism is bad. The hitboxes for these need to be increased to give more leeway. Obviously damage or other factors would have to be lowered to mitigate archer spam, but every class should be fairly easy to pick up. Archers are not.

Other issues mostly come down to bugginess causing unrealistic occurrences such as:
    One hand ax swing bouncing off wall in confined space while opponent’s two hand ax swing passes through the wall and hits you.
    Kick/shield bash not hitting at point-blank.
    Enemy recovering from a kick/bash and attacking faster than you recover from doing the kick/bashing and attacking.
    Weapons passing through enemies and not hitting.

I do love this game, it is wonderful fun. But rarely do a hate a game as much as this one when these problems become glaringly obvious in the course of playing.

In short: Realistic hitboxes on melee, unrealistic hitboxes on ranged/thrusting, and some bug fixes will greatly improve the experience of the game.

• I’m with you that sometimes it looks mostly that you hitted him, as your weapon goes literally through him, and he doesnt get the hit, i’ve got that too, but that may be due to lag maybe.

About the hitboxes theiselves, i think archer is pretty much ok as it is, maybe could be a little bit more precise, but not that much.

And melee weapon hitboxes look pretty nice to me, when i swing and get my weapon blocked by a wall, i always know before it gets blocked that i failed and its gonna get blocked. that means its intuitive and realistic, atleast for me.

Dunno if it can be improved even more, but it looks just nice for me now.

• I like the idea of the wooden part of polearms and other non blade weapons doing no damage, it makes a spear user really fear someone getting close.

• I rarely have the problems you are talking about here, maybe once in a while. Often it is due to lag issues or ping differences; every time I told my self “wait that hit went right through him…wtf”. Well most of theses times it was because the guy’s ping was way to high.

I agree that the shield bash and kicks are a bit clumsy sometimes though.

I aim just fine with archers…

• @qlum:

I like the idea of the wooden part of polearms and other non blade weapons doing no damage, it makes a spear user really fear someone getting close.

It shouldn’t do zero damage, it would still hurt to get wacked with the shaft. Try letting a big guy wind up and smack you with a stick let me know if it hurts lol.

• @BMF:

@qlum:

I like the idea of the wooden part of polearms and other non blade weapons doing no damage, it makes a spear user really fear someone getting close.

It shouldn’t do zero damage, it would still hurt to get wacked with the shaft. Try letting a big guy wind up and smack you with a stick let me know if it hurts lol.

you have to remember its rather close to the center so it will it relatively slow, I would say it would not hurt mor than a kick most of the time.