Pub servers to many Archers?

• Pub player here always. Since the patch have you noticed an increase of Archers on servers?
    It is my opinion the pub servers are being taken over by Archers in excessive numbers?
    I have changed servers btw and found the same on near all games I join ( of late )

• I’ve experienced the same thing. I’m pretty sure it’s because of all the new players. Almost all newbies have played some kind of shooter, so they start up Chivalry and they want to do something that they are familiar with.

TF2, for example, has the same problem with an abundance of snipers, because the sniper’s the only one who gets a traditional rifle. It’s sad that people are so unwilling to try new things. It means that if you’re actually a legitimately skilled archer, you basically can’t play it unless you want to pick archer and hope that one of the bad ones gets the message and changes class.

Personally, I’d love to play and get better at archery in this game, but I’m unwilling to pick archer when they outnumber knights or vanguards. So I rarely get to do so.

• Nope, not at all, quite the opposite in fact, also Archer is the weakest class (will get the worst K/D). I would be happy to face more Archers than I do now, instead of the hordes of Vanguards and Knights.

• The very first class I started to play in Chivalry was an archer. Just look at the ranks. I hope that one day they will have server options to restrict ranks so that newer players can learn on new servers, and pro players can actually hone their skills with other pro players. This way both sides of the community are happy.

• @Suncross:

The very first class I started to play in Chivalry was an archer. Just look at the ranks. I hope that one day they will have server options to restrict ranks so that newer players can learn on new servers, and pro players can actually hone their skills with other pro players. This way both sides of the community are happy.

That’d be awesome, I don’t really enjoy shooting targets that don’t even try to dodge. Not like I’m learning anything this way.

• So far i’ve been in one game that had too many archers.
    I launched an assault, charged shield raised towards them, the whole team followed me.
    They got slaughtered and next game they already had learned the lesson.

• i started playing archer because i got tired of parying my team. now i am always top 3 in my team with score so it all works out. to many snipers though, their kd is terrible because they engage from to far and become worthless to their team

• @Suncross:

The very first class I started to play in Chivalry was an archer. Just look at the ranks. I hope that one day they will have server options to restrict ranks so that newer players can learn on new servers, and pro players can actually hone their skills with other pro players. This way both sides of the community are happy.

I don’t think this would help a lot.

Everyone has to learn at one point. Be it the first time you play or after a full year of actively playing, there will be a first time at some point. And at that time, you can expect to be terrible.

Additionally, people often confuse unlocks and upgrades. I see people running around with weapons they can’t use to save their lives, just because they unlocked it and think it’s therefore better. The same would be the case if archers are locked until you’re a certain rank.

A much better way of doing it, would be to add a more in-depth archer-specific tutorial and lock archer until you complete that tutorial. This could be done for all classes, but archers are the problem currently, and the other 3 classes are too similar to really pick one/two to lock for a tutorial. Anyway, a tutorial-lock would give potential archer players at least some good knowledge on playing archer, so they can at least be useful.

• @Suncross:

Most rank 0 i see go with the Knight actually, maybe the Vanguard. Archers are only in 3rd position.
    I for one started with the Man At Arms.

• Nope, not at all, quite the opposite in fact, also Archer is the weakest class (will get the worst K/D).

Not true at all. Most archers don’t understand how to play their class and try to snipe and also use bodkin arrows.
    Real archers take broadhead arrows, so they can 1 shot all the sniper archer/crossbow players and also kill damaged melee fighters. Doing it that way easily gets you near the top and if your eye is in top scoring is fairly easy.

edit: Of course you also have to be handy with a Falchion or similar to ward of those pesky knights.

• @JARJAR:

Nope, not at all, quite the opposite in fact, also Archer is the weakest class (will get the worst K/D). I would be happy to face more Archers than I do now, instead of the hordes of Vanguards and Knights.

I recently started playing archer after playing knight/vanguard, and I’m pretty often winding up with a KD of 3-4. Then again I’m usually relatively close to the front battle, and get plenty of melee kills as well. The archers sitting on the opposite side of the map hitting nothing but other archers on the other team doing the exact same thing as themselves is the problem here.