UDK? commercial?!

• @Vox:

my guess is 20-30 american

I’m gonna travel to America and punch everybody until they buy it.

(or if the guy is like… huge… il just buy him the game)

• Everybody here is so depressing. :(
    This game IS going to sell. If CBA is 1 % as cool as age of chivalry, im gonna buy 1457 copies if that is needed. (My expectations are on like 1500%)

I’m gonna say it again. I love you.
    (maybe i should put that as my signature, cause i keep saying it on my messages?)

• Singed up to these forums having spotted an article in Develop Magazine.
    Already sent my CV in your direction given my professional skill-set marries perfectly with my interests in this sort of game. :)

But regardless of if it appeals or not, I’d just like to say, it does look interesting, and another indicator that indie development teams in distributed developed networks have superb potential in the future.

And if you can do a Taleworlds, with Mount and Blade, and pull off a successful release with a good customer base, well, here’s hoping you get a lot more than the 15K in profits…

Though I’ve got to say; “CBA” - short acronym for “Cant be Arsed”. Oops. Unfortunate, but I guess thats at least mostly a scots expression.

• the can’t be arsed has been bugging me too! I’m guessing you’ve not checked out the mod Age of Chivalry?

• I’d never even heard of it till I noticed the article in Develop, which just happened to mention it in passing.

Been poking at the AoC website this evening, though.

looks interesting, though I expect I’d suck at it. Lets just say the better part of 5 years’ intensive studying medieval combat and half a decade before that dabbling in it in reality does’nt correlate to the slightest ability in online matches. :|
    still, might be fun, though I suspect a streak of history fascism (“No! that belt buckle is from 1450, and that sort of shoe is obviously 1410!”) may mean anally retentive details being observed and griped at…

I suppose since this forum’s pretty fresh, you could start trying C:BfA as the acronym and see if that catches on?
    as long as it does’nt become “Cant Be F*****g Arsed” then :)

• Oooh I hope you get on the team then I’m liking your attention to detail! :D

You should definately give AoC a lil try if you get any spare time, definately a game that you can enjoy even if you’re absolutely terrible.

haha well I think I’m just gonna call it Chivalry and hope that catches.

• I quite like the current one, “Can’t be fucking arsed is interesting”, and I’m pretty sure it’s quite unique as well :D

And try AoC already, it will be worth it.

• 'tis about 60% downloaded.

we’ll see how badly I can do.

• Red, I believe you may have an asnwer to this….

Where on earth is Wingy?

This won’t be a real forum until he’s here, not in my eyes it won’t.

• @Blackbird:

I’m liking your attention to detail! :D

trust me, it’s not fun

Robin Hood, the Russel Crowe film?

the trailer’s about 2 mins 30seconds long.
    first time I saw that in the cinema, I spotted 4 centuries of helmet types depicted. Norman Nasal (11th C), Kettle hat (13th - 15th), Coventry Sallet (2nd half of 15th C) - and worn without a Bevor, at that. I also think I spotted a bascinet in the background, and a pembridge helm in background flash-cuts.

and that’s just helmets…. in the trailer. they’re not even my area of study…

can you imagine how much that ruins the film for me, spotting every mish-mash of time and place?

gah. gets on my tits, it does. :)

• Haha i know exactly, I noticed all those things too…… ;) haha maybe not.

However I study music and understand what you mean, I hate it when film scores use instruments that hadn’t even been invented when the film is set, i guess thats the same thing.

• @Blackbird:

Red, I believe you may have an asnwer to this….

Where on earth is Wingy?

What? You think there’s some sort of secret troll convention?

I’ve haven’t got the slightest idea of his whereabouts.

• @TheRed:

@Blackbird:

Red, I believe you may have an asnwer to this….

Where on earth is Wingy?

What? You think there’s some sort of secret troll convention?

I’ve haven’t got the slightest idea of his whereabouts.

Well, I did hope there was until you shattered my dreams!

• I’ll send you the adress in PM, if you promise not to tell anyone…

• I think we can come to some kind of arrangement, I won’t tell anyone! :twisted:

• Considering AoC’s draw to Russian gamers, and the widespread popularity of steam titles in international markets (I’ve played L4D with Japanese and Korean gamers when I lived in Japan, and they were numerous), independently developed games as distributed via digital means is a great way to reach out to said markets.

In countries where gaming culture is a relatively new phenomenon (China, etc), the public is absolutely ravenous for competitive titles. Here is where a game like Chivalry could really work its way into that niche, and blow it wide open. A well developed and well executed medieval combat title can have universal appeal, as long as the learning curve isn’t too steep (I believe this turns a lot of people off of AoC, as I’ve tried to convert many with minimal results).

• Yesh, the learning curve in AoC is quite steep, hopefully they’ll make some tutorial maps for Chivalry to sort things out.

• Interesting idea, we’ll be sure to look at it as we near release. :)

• One of the major problems that I’d see with that is the ties to Steam and the lack of control that the team will have over being able to run competitive matches with it properly integrated in-game. Not too many games heavily integrate the clan/competitive scene in with it (including full match stats, a ladder on the website, that sort of stuff). Despite not being into clanning myself, I think that a higher level of integration of that competitive stuff could be beneficial and open up some things