Shields = Confusion?

• Hey guys, I’ve decided to devote this topic to the discussion of shields.

Especially, their animations and their actual area of effect(or blocking).

Shields are undoubtedly badass to use if you are going up against a lot of arrow or projectile horny enemies who like to throw their shit at you.
    However, when going up against a melee opponent, I find my shield often confusing me which leads to rather clumsy deaths.

One example can be:

Vanguard swings weapon
    I raise my shield
    “Haha, my shield is blocking the path of your weapon! You cannot hit m,-” Gets killed

I find myself dying a lot when relying on a shield in melee as weapons seemingly swing THROUGH the model of my shield, despite the fact that the model and its position should physically be able to block/stop the attack.

I don’t know if this is a lag or problem with the animations, but I find it much easier to block enemy melee attacks by simply dumping my shield and parrying with my main weapon, which has lead me to frequently drop the shield even when using 1handers when the enemy team doesn’t have a lot of archers or projectile weapons.
    And it is kind’a weird that I drop shields because blocking with my 1 hander is seemingly easier than with a shield… which is kind’a odd as I figured it would be easier to block with a shield, but it’s not in this game.

Does anyone else feel the same way about shields?
    I love how good they are vs projectiles, but in melee, I just can’t rely on their animations :/

P.S If I just created two threads of the exact same subject on this forum, just remove the other one.

• Shields are like regular parrys, you still have to look at the enemy weapon to block it, it is simple to strike AROUND the shield if you aren’t moving the shield to compensate; shields allow you to hold a block versus a regular parry which is sort of an advantage, but again you have to still look at the enemy weapon.

• The problem for me isn’t using the shields but attacking against them. They have very strange hit (block?) boxes compared to what the animation is showing. If you hug the left side of a player where their shield should cover, you can attack right through it. If you attack their right side where there weapon is and not their shield, the shield will block the attack. It should be the other way around.

• @Endeav:

Shields are like regular parrys, you still have to look at the enemy weapon to block it, it is simple to strike AROUND the shield if you aren’t moving the shield to compensate; shields allow you to hold a block versus a regular parry which is sort of an advantage, but again you have to still look at the enemy weapon.

So according to this, shields are in fact no better at blocking a melee attack than any other weapon?

• @SinerAthin:

So according to this, shields are in fact no better at blocking a melee attack than any other weapon?

Actually, shields are inferior at blocking melee attacks in many ways. They obscure your vision since you have to lose sight of the enemy’s weapon in order to block it, and you have no idea if the enemy is feinting during this blind time. Shields also increase the recovery time after a block, making your counterattack slower than a parry combo.

The advantages to shields is that they stop projectiles, cost no stamina to block if you aren’t hit, and have no cooldown.

• @SinerAthin:

@Endeav:

Shields are like regular parrys, you still have to look at the enemy weapon to block it, it is simple to strike AROUND the shield if you aren’t moving the shield to compensate; shields allow you to hold a block versus a regular parry which is sort of an advantage, but again you have to still look at the enemy weapon.

If using melee weapons and blocking produces no damage, you want shields to heal you or something?

• I was basically under the impression that a shield would(should) be better than a simple 1 hander at blocking :P

@FrostFire626:

Actually, shields are inferior at blocking melee attacks in many ways. They obscure your vision since you have to lose sight of the enemy’s weapon in order to block it, and you have no idea if the enemy is feinting during this blind time. Shields also increase the recovery time after a block, making your counterattack slower than a parry combo.

Which is one of the reasons why I’m so fuzzled.
    I always imagined that shields would be >THE< secondary hand accessory for players who wanted the best defense, including in melee.

• @SinerAthin:

Which is one of the reasons why I’m so fuzzled.
    I always imagined that shields would be >THE< secondary hand accessory for players who wanted the best defense, including in melee.

Imagine real life life medieval combat. Raise a shield in front of your eyes and suddenly you are missing a foot. The impact of heavy two-handed weapons on your shield would be incredibly jarring. Real life duelists often preferred small light shields instead of heavy ones if they use a shield at all. This is all reflected in the game.

Source: I’m a knight irl.

• Right now, shields are completely impervious to feints. Not many people at all use feints in casual play though.

• I think the only bug that there is with the shield is, that you can redirect a stab from sideways behind the shield, even though the rim of the shield should techically stop you. I abuse that a lot as vanguard :D

• @Martin:

Right now, shields are completely impervious to feints. Not many people at all use feints in casual play though.

I’ve found that feints are extremely useful against shields. If they are turtling behind their shield, they have no idea whether or not I’m feinting. They will usually drop the shield after the expected attack never comes and are hit by my faint combo. Add in jumping overheads and kicks, and the turtler is at a severe disadvantage.

• @FrostFire626:

@Martin:

Right now, shields are completely impervious to feints. Not many people at all use feints in casual play though.

I’ve found that feints are extremely useful against shields. If they are turtling behind their shield, they have no idea whether or not I’m feinting. They will usually drop the shield after the expected attack never comes and are hit by my faint combo. Add in jumping overheads and kicks, and the turtler is at a severe disadvantage.

Unless the guy with the shield plays in 3rd person then he can see everything perfectly fine. I love shield bashing people and then finish them off. Put your shield up, get close, shield bash while still blocking.

• @Martin:

That’s an exaggeration. The only way to win duels against a shield user is feinting.

• @FrostFire626:

@Martin:

Against noobs maybe, but anything beats noobs. You don’t lower your shield until you hear the hit.

• @Knil:

@FrostFire626:

@Martin:

Against noobs maybe, but anything beats noobs. You don’t lower your shield untill you hear the hit.

It is not required for the shield to be lowered for the feint to be effective against a shield user. When using any 1 handed weapon, feinting out of an overhead aimed at the far left and stabbing to their immediate right is able to get around the shield. This is as people often pre-emptively move the shield’s position for the original feinted overhead, which makes it difficult to get the shield in the correct position to block the stab around their other flank.

• @FrostFire626:

Imagine real life life medieval combat. Raise a shield in front of your eyes and suddenly you are missing a foot. The impact of heavy two-handed weapons on your shield would be incredibly jarring. Real life duelists often preferred small light shields instead of heavy ones if they use a shield at all. This is all reflected in the game…

All the shields in this game obscure your vision, regardless of size.

And if shields were so useless in melee, why did knights use shields in melee?

One of the biggest problems in this game is that unless you actively use the parry functionality, the shield itself players no role.
    I can kill a guy by sideswinging at him and physically ignore his shield at his side, just because he didn’t press RMB.

• @Sickbrain:

Unless the guy with the shield plays in 3rd person then he can see everything perfectly fine. I love shield bashing people and then finish them off. Put your shield up, get close, shield bash while still blocking.

This is a good point, playing a shield in 3rd person must be significantly advantageous if less fun. You can get the knack of directional parrying quite quickly in 3rd person as well. Only drawback is immersion (and the African children mentioned by some other poster).

• Large shields can block an absurd number of attacks before you’re out of stamina, make you extremely hard for anything but the best archers to hit, and have a huge block radius which is pretty much impossible to get around if the shield user is experienced - even more so if playing in third person.

Small shields, however, bleed stamina at a ridiculous rate, have smaller block radii than a parry, and offer minimal protection from archers. The advantage of small shields is dropping faster, but that is currently a non-issue because you can initiate an attack while your shield is up which allows you to attack immediately without waiting for the shield drop animation.

The consistent advantage of all shields is eliminating the need to time your blocks, which greatly weakens the strength of feints, and much more powerful counterattacks because of the ability to skip shield drop animations. Comboing off of a successful parry is predictable and cannot be feinted. If you don’t combo off the parry, you have to wait a considerable amount of time before you can make a normal attack due to your parry recovery. With a shield you can attack immediately, feint the attack if necessary, and just generally mix up your counterattack timings far less predictably than parry combos.

I think in the future the ability to instantly attack with shield up should be removed (if it’s even intentional in the first place, I actually haven’t asked) and small (MaA/Javelineer) shields should have the unique ability to parry like a weapon by tapping block instead of holding it, along with the faster drop time. That would put them closer to on par with Knight shields.