The actual pavese shield

• Actual tactics for it are, that you fire your crossbow, do a 180 and duck to reload. I used that a few times with diffrent sucess. The thing is that it can disorient yourself, but due to the fact that you see nothing while reloading anyway makes that tolerable. The biggest drawbacks compared to a real cover is that other archers will maybe try to move around to get you from the sides, and melee players are more likely to make notice of you and attack you when you are in the open.

But for example on battlegrounds as attacker while pushing the cart, it worked very well.

But there are way too many covers on the maps that make the thing basically useless. Why not hide behind the screen with the small hole that is nearly impossible to hit?

Anyone else every tryed it?

• Does that thing actually stop arrows if they hit your shield while it is on your back?
    The Pavise shield certainly does nothing vs melee attacks.

And is the shield destroyable?
    I’ve placed the shield between me and another archer, crouched down behind it, only to have it blow up in my face as an arrow shot right through it and into me.

And for your question regarding its uses, it is obvious:

The Pavise shield is meant to provide cover in situations where ordinary cover might not be available, like if you are stuck in an open area.
    Also, getting a proper flanking position can be hard if you are an enemy archer and the pavise crossbowman places himself strategically behind his allies.

• It blocks projectiles when it’s on your back, yes.

• @Martin:

It blocks projectiles when it’s on your back, yes.

But is a deployed shield destructible? Like if you hit it with a Heavy Crossbow or something?
    I’ve seen it blow up(as hilarious as a shield blowing up might look) before.

• Yeah, they have 300 health or unlimited health whilst on your back.

• @Martin:

Yeah, they have 300 health or unlimited health whilst on your back.

What is the damage of the different ranged weapons?

Does a shield mitage/reduce the damage of a penetrating projectile?

• They entirely mitigate, and there is a link to damage numbers in my signature.

• @Martin:

They entirely mitigate, and there is a link to damage numbers in my signature.

Entirely mitage?

So a pierceing arrow should not be able to kill a full HP archer crouching behind the shield?

• Correct. You should see the arrow/bolt stick through the shield (assuming it hits the shield), but it will cause no harm.

• @Martin:

Correct. You should see the arrow/bolt stick through the shield (assuming it hits the shield), but it will cause no harm.

An Archer reloading a crossbow while Crouched directly behind a shield, will any of his limbs be exposed outside the shield?

I never checked the actual model animation.

• I don’t believe so; the head may be exposed ever so slightly, but I’ve yet to headshot a crouching crossbowman. I guess you’ll have to be really lucky with the arc.

• extreme longrange shots with shortbow can occasionally get behind a pavise but no, you’re basically not exposed at all.
    Turning around for reloading is something I have learned to love and do so fast that I sometimes do it with bows lol. The point is, it’s just faster then run for cover-> reload-> come back -> aim and you can start playing with anyone who tries to hit you to the point they get too discouraged for shooting you at all. Setting it up is unfortunatly pointless because it will mostlikely break for no reason, except on very flat surfaces. I also like to ‘catch’ arrows with a 360 turn-jump for the fun and hopefully to protect some friends.
    The point is, in my opinion the pavise shield is half of the crossbowmens fun and can’t imagine the game without it.

• @Escadin:

extreme longrange shots with shortbow can occasionally get behind a pavise but no, you’re basically not exposed at all.
    Turning around for reloading is something I have learned to love and do so fast that I sometimes do it with bows lol. The point is, it’s just faster then run for cover-> reload-> come back -> aim and you can start playing with anyone who tries to hit you to the point they get too discouraged for shooting you at all. Setting it up is unfortunatly pointless because it will mostlikely break for no reason, except on very flat surfaces. I also like to ‘catch’ arrows with a 360 turn-jump for the fun and hopefully to protect some friends.
    The point is, in my opinion the pavise shield is half of the crossbowmens fun and can’t imagine the game without it.

Turnig around also provides a nice view of his ass and some hilarious Arrow to the back ofthe Knee shots XD it really does look like he’s mooning you though

• Yes, turning and crouching is very effective with the Pavise shield; it’ll completely protect you from arrows, but not melee attacks. Also be aware that if your shield gets hit by a ballista you’ll go flying away to the hills with it. If your shield is deployed ballistas will 1-shot it and go right through. Finally, don’t forget that the shield is essentially a giant target on your back that can draw the attention of enemies.

Unfortunately, a few bugs with crossbows and the shield also limit their effectiveness for me:

1. If you reload while still moving your mouse your view gets twisted around as you reload, like your head is on sideways.

2. If you happen to still be holding zoom (alt) while you start reloading, you’re stuck zooming in as you reload. This actually makes me really nauseous, especially when combined with (1).

3. Occasionally you will spawn with the wrong color Pavise shield; I believe this happens because the shield color doesn’t change when you get autobalanced. Because shield color is all you can see when you look at a crossbowman’s back, this may lead to teammates killing you. I think re-selecting your loadout fixes this.