Any one else think the balance is pretty good right now?

• I hear so many people complaining about archers, not really sure why. If you getting shot at, pick up a shield or some thing. I honestly don’t think the balance could get any better, maybe a few tweaks here and there (like allowing javs to switch weapon right after they throw), but i have been able to win with every class and been beaten by them too.

• I have to say I am a seasoned competitive PC gamer, and I find no flaws with the current games’ balance. If anything is overpowered it might be the shoelacing of 1h weapons. I can’t ever seem to get the timing right to block properly. I have to spam F like 5000 times until I can kick them off of me to reposition myself, but by that time I have to be 100% flawless on them because all my health is gone. Usually some troll archer KSs the maa and im dead anyways.

But yeah. Balanced game is balanced.

• They don’t complain about archers because they are overpowered.

They complain about archers because they are cowards or annoying… or very often both :D

Right now though, I can’t really think of that much that needs balancing. The Axe for the MAA comes to mind, that thing is more dangerous than a greatsword.
    A half decent MAA wielding a hatchet is something you DON’T want to meet.

As for that, I’d say they need to work on the lag and buggy animations.
    Given that this game focuses so heavily on melee, those two things are absolutely vital to the enjoyment of the game.

1h are also very hard to block because their animations seems to either be a bit slower or off the actual attack.

• No I don’t.

I don’t feel like 2h weapons have enough power to them compared to the speed/power of 1h

This game is WAAAY too rewarding for lmb spamming helicopter vanguards and knights.

Archers should be VERY weak melee but instead can rock even a knight if in their face lmb mashing with cudgel

Overhead maul should one shot everything. period. (at least with headshot on knights…)

Kick should give a bit more time to actually counterattack with slower weapons. (especially for that ridiculous stamina cost)

MAA “teleport” needs animation and more human-like movement, they aren’t superhumans.

Vanguard charge is wimpy and useless

Javs need faster reload or at least let you block while reloading (maybe resets reload time?) or switch weapons…

Fire pots (regardless of how cheap and nooby they are imo) are very very very weak and should get a bit of a buff against people who stand in it or something…

Shields don’t have any real downside to using them, they don’t require much along the lines of aiming to block (except buckler), the passive blocking for ranged attacks is really screwy

I love Chivalry, and I know it will never be “perfect”, but some of the balancing things bother me a bit.

• Balance is fairly good from my point of view (maa). Some outlier weapons need to be tweaked and bugs need to be fixed, but overall the class balance is fairly good.

• Yup, it’s pretty good. Just off enough to keep things interesting and avoid becoming a gameclone.

• The Maul is at its current state already quite powerful, why make it even more powerful? If you hit a knight in the head with a Maul, you will deal 97 damage, and bring him down to only 3 hitpoints left. By doing so, you will give your opponent who plays as a knight a lot of pressure, considering that the maul’s first hit opens tons of opportunity for a finisher, like kick spam should do the trick, fist spam, throwing axes, swap to secondary or simply run into him with a overhead, fake it and finish him with a stab, he will most likely fall for the feint due to the pressure you give him, ( Mentioned above )

Despite of maul being a slow weapon, I don’t think it should become a one-hitter, that would just apply too much pressure to your opponent, IF he knows that all that is needed from that maul to die is one hit, one lucky hit perhaps? One well timed? Or just a trade-off. When I first began using the Maul, I really struggled using it because I had not adapted my style to the maul, after some hard training, I’ve learned how to really inflict damage to my opponent. Either I drain their health, Or I drain their stamina and make them less dangerous for me while I keep bashing into their defence.

All around, the maul is pretty epic as it is now, If anything should happend to it, then I think it should be a nerf, not a buff.

• Yesterday i was thinking that maa was really weak. But in my last game there was a crazy maa, once he got a hit of on me i was basically dead.

Overall balance is ok. Just some weapons that feel complety useless. Like the double axe, fork and some others.

• @Sisarot:

Yesterday i was thinking that maa was really weak. But in my last game there was a crazy maa, once he got a hit of on me i was basically dead.

Overall balance is ok. Just some weapons that feel complety useless. Like the double axe, fork and some others.

Haha, the double axe. I always get owned by it because the wind-up takes forever compared to every other weapon, so I block early :p

• Javelin just seems useless in my opinion. Vanguard also feels too easy with their reach at the moment.

• @Emerald:

Javelin just seems useless in my opinion. Vanguard also feels too easy with their reach at the moment.

Javelin is pretty awesome as a support role or a rear line combatant, and does decently in 1vs1. Check my channel below for some videos. It’s really, really fun once you start to get the hang of it.

Overall, I thought the game was pretty balanced before the patch, so I can’t complain. Level balance is the only thing that needs work, and only on a couple of levels. Weapon balance is near perfection right now.

Idle flinch needs to be corrected/adjusted and the animations could use a bit more work, but most all the weapons are perfect as they are in my opinion.

• @HEXEN:

@Emerald:

Javelin just seems useless in my opinion. Vanguard also feels too easy with their reach at the moment.

Javelin is pretty awesome as a support role or a rear line combatant, and does decently in 1vs1. Check my channel below for some videos. It’s really, really fun once you start to get the hang of it.

Overall, I thought the game was pretty balanced before the patch, so I can’t complain. Level balance is the only thing that needs work, and only on a couple of levels. Weapon balance is near perfection right now.

Idle flinch needs to be corrected/adjusted and the animations could use a bit more work, but most all the weapons are perfect as they are in my opinion.

Maybe I just haven’t given them a chance, yet. I’ll try again tomorrow and see if I can do anything with them lol. PM me a link to a video you particularly like off your channel and I’ll watch it - too lazy to do so at the moment.

• It all feels good to me other than a few weapons being underpowered. Don’t feel that anything is really op at this point.

• I think the last patch properly addressed the only weapons which were just plain overpowered - in fact the nerfs might have even been overboard, Longsword and Broadsword just seem like superior options to Sword of War and Norse Sword right now - but I do think there are still quite a few weapons which are in need of some buffing or repurposing. Crossbows and javelins are the most outstanding example compared to their very viable bow alternatives, but there are also some melee options that are outshined by alternatives too, like the bearded and double axe vs. the pole axe (and vs. polearms which are essentially axes themselves, not to mention onehanded axes) - they’re just generally inferior in all aspects; low range, slow, not outstanding damage.

Holy Water Sprinkler, War Axe, Fork, Billhook and Grand Mace are also lacking either in general or compared to their sibling weapons. War Axe damage advantage is very minimal and doesn’t effect hits-to-kill in most cases, meaning the speed of the hatchet and range of the dane axe win overall. Holy Water Sprinkler and Fork just aren’t very fast; they merely feel like watered down versions of the mace/spear. Billhook is meant to be the fast polearm, but is actually slower than the alternative polearms while still being short and weak, which I assume is an oversight - it’s just plain inferior by numbers. Grand mace lacks purpose, lacking the speed and shield potential of the warhammer and the one-hit-kill potential of the maul; grand mace will likely be the hardest weapon to make viable because it doesn’t really set itself up for any kind of niche between the other knight blunts, not to mention the pole axe which also does blunt damage on its strongest attack.

• Holy water sprinkler not fast? Hmmmmm okay

On topic: balance is good as is but not perfect. The devs are moving in the right direction. There is and always will be balance work ahead.

Just a few things that I think could use some slight changes are kicks, parrying with little stamina/ small weapons, and weapon balance.

Kicks are just very lackluster in their current state. Spice them up a bit, make them more useful overall. I don’t have a good idea for what to change about them but they could use something.

Parrying without enough stamina/ small weapons vs big weapons should inflict some percentage of “glancing damage”

All weapons will never be perfectly balanced. I have faith that the devs will continue to adjust weapons accordingly. As of now I don’t feel like any weapons are brokenly op, however there are a few weapons that could use some love to get on par.

As long as the devs don’t do anything drastic we should all be able to sleep easy knowing C:MW is in good hands.

• @Phalanx:

Holy water sprinkler not fast? Hmmmmm okay.

Typical flanged mace combo is slash->overhead; fastest potential for 2 hits with the mace, kills anything but a knight with only one headshot. Total time to execute is 1.8 seconds (fatal damage starts at 1.4, so you could feasibly kill them in 1.4 seconds) with a .5 second recovery, for 2.3 seconds from start to idle. The holy water has to do two overheads to kill a VG in two hits with one headshot. This combo has a total time to execute of 1.7 seconds (fatal damage starts at 1.4 as well), and the same .5 second recovery - 2.2 seconds from start to idle. A paltry .1 second difference, and no difference in the minimum time to kill.

Oh, and the two hit combo against a VG is best case scenario. Against a Knight the mace is at an even greater advantage, killing with a stab->2xoverhead combo, requiring one headshot on any attack, even the weak stab. Fatal damage at 2.25; total execution of 2.65 + .5 recovery, or 3.15 seconds from start to idle. Holy water requires 3 overheads for a one headshot kill - fatal damage at 2.4; total execution of 2.7 + .5 recovery, 3.2 from start to idle. So in this case the flanged mace actually executes the same amount of hits significantly faster than the supposed fastest mace, because the reduced damage and the half piercing damage type requires three overheads with slow combo speeds instead of one stab to initiate + two faster-comboing overheads.

It all comes down to combo speed. For some reason the HWS has considerably slower combo speed than the flanged mace, meaning it’s only faster at single strikes. The windup times are only slightly faster - the main benefit is faster release, but release doesn’t effect how quickly you deal damage, only how quickly your attack takes to finish before you can combo or return to idle.

• Archers need a bit of a buff, its still hard to aim with the new cross heirs. It’s also too easy to over aim.
    Maybe if the aiming radical had notches like on a noob tube it would be easier so judge distance ect. I really like how “War of the Roses” does their archery maybe CMW can benefit from something like that.
    Idk maybe im just a skilless noob. I’m not saying that the bows and cross bows should be like sniper rifles though i think the speed of the arrow should be increased, its a video game, some aspects of realism have to be sacrificed for the game to be fun, or at least in my opinion.

• Archers are fine now, except for the heavy crossbow that hardly surves any purpose on the current TO maps, but who knows, maybe we get more castle defence scenarios and it will be fine again.

Vanguards need nothing but a little tweak on the smokepot and the dane axe (its either too long or too fast, but it should keep his extreme dmg). However their charge attack is almost useless.

Knights feel balanced although I’m mostly just playing against them.

Maa well I rarly see a good one but it’s probably just too hard to play in a mindless lmb-spammer clashing match where all possible targets constantly chop eachother to pieces regardless friend or foe. In organized TOs they can do pretty good at flanking tho.

Sidenote: GOGOGO hexen spread the javs!! I want to see them more often on the battlefield! <3 your vids

• A lot of the ‘unbalanced’ concerns seem to focus on archers, but I think the key point being missed is that both teamwork and thoughtful play can be used to beat archers.

The Vanguard’s smoke pot can be used to obscure choke points from enemy archers. Maps typically have a lot of debris that can be used as cover from archer arrows. Shields can be defensively to protect teammates. I’m still new to the game, but in playing a little bit last night and today, I was able to get in on multiple archers at once and take them out using Man at Arms equipped with a shield and bounding from cover to cover.

As for the other classes, nothing jumps out at me as being unstoppable or unsolvable. I could be wrong but at least from what I’ve encountered so far things seem fairly balanced.

• EDIT: Bear in mind, I’ve only been playing a little over a week now.

In terms of class balance: I almost exclusively play team objective matches, and I find that vanguards (and sometimes knights) are overrepresented on most teams. Vanguards everywhere. I think that may have to do with an influx of new players after the huge sale on Steam, and the fact that vanguard is relatively easy to pick up (or, at least, you can get pretty far knowing only the basics).

In terms of the weapons themselves, I sometimes get flack for using oil pots, and I wouldn’t mind if they were nerfed. Honestly, I use them for the distraction more than the damage; its hard to see a dodging MAA with the flames in your vision, and they make some people panic. I don’t want to use anything that’s widely considered to be cheesy.

My biggest beef with javelins is that they’re hard to throw up close. It often seems as though there is a large gap between me and the point at which the javelin actually appears when I throw it. I started out as a jav archer but gave it up after inexplicably whiffing like this. I’d have a knight, say, running right up to me, and I’d have him dead to rights, and the javelin would seem to appear on the other side of the knight and continue on its merry way while I get my head lopped off.

This led me to a playstyle where I essentially skirmish with melee weapons (either thrusting with the javelin, or a secondary weapon), and only occasionally throwing a javelin when I had a clear shot, usually into someone’s back. But that doesn’t feel very archerish - and so I wound up switching to the MAA. In general you don’t see many javelineers out there these days.