Does the game get easier?

• Hi,

I am new to Chivalry so naturally i am no good at it. I played about 10 matches so far, and as expected i failed pretty bad. I even had a 0 kill 12 death streak. Perhaps it has to do with my favorite class, the Man at Arms.

It does not seem a easy class to start with but i am determined to succeed. So in the last few matches i have been doing better, slowly getting more kills and staying alive longer. But i also come across many matches that are EXTREMELY frustrating.

Like the one where you need to burn the wheat field and market, i must have died 15-20 times in a match with like 1 kill, so i had to walk the distance from the spawn point to the objective over and over. I probably spent 50% of the match running.

Things get very frustrating at times. I could swear that of the 5 to 10 hits i swing at my enemies at least 1 actually hit but no. I understand that some weapons have little reach but even standing right in front of a guy i seem to miss 99.99% of my strikes.

I ran up to a guy with a two handed sword, he had his back towards me and i could smell the opportunity. I tried to time my swing but to no avail, he did a vertical strike and hit me whilst i was behind him. he barely noticed that he nearly one shot a enemy behind him. He then finished his opponent, turned around and within a millisecond slaughtered me.

Don’t get me wrong, i can take losing, i can even take a lot of losing. But to play a match, get killed 25 times with 0 kills, walk 50% of the match back and forth and seemingly missing every single strike i put out it can get really frustrating.

I know i’m still a noob and the blame is entirely on me but it makes it hard to enjoy the game when you know that just getting that one kill is hard. I don’t want to turn pro overnight i just want to have the feeling that there’s a chance of me winning.

I totally love this game though, but perhaps i should lay off the competitive games? I could remember being a complete noob at Battlefield for the first few months until eventually i started getting a lot better. When i finally had the idea that every fight was a 50% chance to win that’s when it started to get really fun.

Does it get a lot easier? Are there simply some situations that one needs to experience before you could win? P.S. I would also like to know if the upcoming duel mode is the perfect chance to practise? Or if there is any other way i could fight 1 on 1 again and again so i could learn?

• I’d say yes. It does get easier.

But it only becomes that way through practice, perseverance and a little effort. Learn the speed, range and power of certain weapons and get used to using it. Then learn the timing to parry and attack and get hits in between. Effectively take on groups of enemies at a time, even if you’re just stalling them.

Just take it one step at a time and don’t bite off more than you can chew, you’ll get there I’m sure. Vanguard is an easy class to start on though, if you were thinking of changing up your game.

Have fun smashing heads~

• I agree with Emerald. It does get easier. And yes you are right: man at arms is a difficult class to begin with because you are just not familiar with the timings and the animations. I suggest start learning the knight with a 2-hander and a vanguard with the spear. Longsword is great for learning the timings and spears will teach you to use the distance to your advantage. I also recommend playing on duel servers, that helps A LOT!

• The MaA is the hardest class to do well with when you are learning the game. I don’t play the class much so I don’t really have any specific tips. I do know that if you bite the bullet and keep at it your performance will increase significantly.

Below are some excellent tutorial video’s by Shara and Noxian. Great tips that helped me a lot when I started playing.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2939

Good luck!

• Don’t worry just keep playing and you will slowly improve. When I started I was hopeless. Now one week later I often end up with the highest score.

Practice makes perfect! :D

• How to master this game:

1. Join 64 man FFA server.
    2. Choose knight or vanguard with a high-reach twohanded weapon.
    3. Set mouse sensitivity to maximum.
    4. ALL ABOARD THE LMB HELICOPTERZ

• Thanks for the kind replies guys. I am trying to learn the ups and down of every weapon as i know that each one excels at one point and does bad at others. I haven’t put a whole lot of thought into my equipment yet but i am learning.

Right now i always use the second unlocked 1 hand mace, a backup 1h sword and a buckler. The mace i use for armored people (like supposed to right?) and the sword for lighter armored opponents. I found the tower shield and kite shield to be too big and heavy so i went for the buckler.

I have not developed many tactics yet but i am finding some good ones, for example when i face a opponent and he is some distance away from me, i know i can surprise him by double stepping forward and stabbing, effectively allowing me to hit someone pretty far away.

Another technique is walking backwards when enemies come towards me giving them the impression i’m not up for the fight, then suddenly i move forward and stab them.

The thing is with those instructional videos, i don’t like being handed every tactic on a silver plate. Even though i did watch it already and learned from it. I might play some more on the Vanguard but it feels cheap. Vanguards swing their weapons and hit everyone in a 2 meter radius. whilst Man at Arms has to use more tactics. I simply have the most fun as a 1h and shield guy.

I am keeping a close eye on everything available to me, like trading the shield for throwable hatchets. I think though that it gets too complicated if i learn more then one class at a time that’s why i plan to stick with MoA for the time being. I didn’t know the whole duel concept already existed, i will look into it.

• Online pvp games never get easier.

You just get better.

• @Sylanthor:

Thanks for the kind replies guys. I am trying to learn the ups and down of every weapon as i know that each one excels at one point and does bad at others. I haven’t put a whole lot of thought into my equipment yet but i am learning.

Right now i always use the second unlocked 1 hand mace, a backup 1h sword and a buckler. The mace i use for armored people (like supposed to right?) and the sword for lighter armored opponents. I found the tower shield and kite shield to be too big and heavy so i went for the buckler.

I have not developed many tactics yet but i am finding some good ones, for example when i face a opponent and he is some distance away from me, i know i can surprise him by double stepping forward and stabbing, effectively allowing me to hit someone pretty far away.

Another technique is walking backwards when enemies come towards me giving them the impression i’m not up for the fight, then suddenly i move forward and stab them.

The thing is with those instructional videos, i don’t like being handed every tactic on a silver plate. Even though i did watch it already and learned from it. I might play some more on the Vanguard but it feels cheap. Vanguards swing their weapons and hit everyone in a 2 meter radius. whilst Man at Arms has to use more tactics. I simply have the most fun as a 1h and shield guy.

I am keeping a close eye on everything available to me, like trading the shield for throwable hatchets. I think though that it gets too complicated if i learn more then one class at a time that’s why i plan to stick with MoA for the time being. I didn’t know the whole duel concept already existed, i will look into it.

If I were you, I’d ditch the shield for now. Why? Shields make everything easier. Learn to parry. Later one when you get good enough to parry most of the attacks coming at you, THEN switch to the shield. You’ll be damn hard to hit. Buuut chances are you probably won’t go back to it. I didn’t because I like that extra field of view and I swear I feel faster.

Also, as an MaA, I know you have very little reach however that doesn’t mean you can’t use what little reach you have to your favor. Dance around, make them miss, then either dodge in or sprint in with a thrust to get them nice and panicky followed by a flurry.

You should also know that other classes see you as an easy target. Ooohhh, you should make them pay for making assumptions… but on a one vs one basis. Try not to get into any groups.

As for Vanguards (and Knights), they’re not cheap. The reason you find them cheap is because A. They hurt you pretty bad with a single hit and B. Can take more before falling. If all you’re playing is a MaA, you’ll probably fumble around with Vanguards because the pacing is entirely different. Also Vanguards can’t use shields. I think most people agree that spears are “cheap” but personally, I don’t find any weapon to be really cheap. Frustrating to deal with, sure, but not cheap.

• Very commendable sticking with the MAA. It’s a high performance toon that most beginners wont stick with, especially in Team Objective matches that favor shields and heavy armor for attacking/defending pushables and trebuchets.

Free-for-all matches may be easier. Less zerging focusing on you because of the light armor. In FFA everyone is zerging everyone, as opposed to just you against four knights.

Weapon progression seems easier and there are more light armored players.

Foregoing a shield will make you faster but I feel quite exposed in a furball.

• @Fryseboks:

How to master this game:

1. Join 64 man FFA server.
    2. Choose knight or vanguard with a high-reach twohanded weapon.
    3. Set mouse sensitivity to maximum.
    4. ALL ABOARD THE LMB HELICOPTERZ

lol…

• MAA is the hardest class to play and is probably the most consistently frustrating. It requires hours upon hours of practice to learn, but once you put in this time and effort the game opens up to you. MAA has the highest skill ceiling of any class in my opinion, so the class becomes extremely satisfying to play and succeed with after all the hard work pays off.

Quick tips:
    Pick a good weapon - broadsword, hatchet are common choices
    Train hard in duel servers
    Master dodging
    The class is all about controlling distance to your target
    Let your enemy make mistakes and punish him
    You are never allowed to make a mistake
    Practice practice practice practice practice

• If you’re going to play MaA I’d recommend starting with the mace. It’s one of the most effective weapons in the game at slash attacks which are easiest to land, and it’s fast with the ability to 3 hit any class without having to worry about aiming for the head (2 hits for an archer or MaA, 2 for VG if you hit the head once). Hatchet is faster but you’ll have trouble with knights if you can’t land headshots or overheads. Broadsword relies a lot on utilizing its slight but meaningful reach advantage, as well as using stabs and overheads which are usually difficult for newer players.

Also, remember to use your mobility. Dodging is important but not the end-all MaA move, you have a very fast strafe and backpeddal speed compared to other classes. Control the distance and bait the enemy into missing an attack, then dodge in for a hit. Once you’re in close, stay in close; you can move around the enemy with your superior strafe speed and make it more difficult for them to land an attack. They’ll resort to slashing most likely, which you can duck under or predictably parry and counter.

• There’s a learning curve to this game and it will get better.

My suggestions :

-Take a class that has med/high HP like a vanguard or a knight; at least you can take a few hits with those.

-Play on Team Objective servers because even though you’ll get killed most of the time there’s still the thrill of following the objective and trying to get your team to complete it.

-Last but not least : look for extra tutorials on youtube, it helps a lot!
    Have a look at Shara’s channel, pretty good tutorials on there :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Sharantil

• Knight is easy

Vanguard is a little bit harder

Man at arms is hard

Archer is intermediate

Javelin archer is hard.

Different classes allow you raise your skill with their movements, niches and strengths.

I would suggest perfecting a class so that when you face it, your completely aware of your enemys capability.

Always be aware of your surroundings

Use them to your advantage.

• Just to echo, it’s easier as you get better.

If you enjoy the concept of the game, just play it and don’t worry about all the bollocks… you’ll get better. If you hate it don’t bother. You’re playing against other people in a far more challenging setting (melee) that most are accustomed to, so it’ll be a while before you get better and even then you’ll still screw up sometimes, have bad days, etc.

• Perhaps i overreacted when i said it’s extremely hard, sometimes i do really good and i even got second place in my team today. Before i would have panicked 1 vs 1 but now i am more and more calm and its so much fun toying with the enemy.

Of course i meet the occasional skilled opponent and die faster than i can lay my eyes on him. But it’s all good as most of the time i realize what kind of mistakes i made.
    I took your advice and threw away the shield, it’s a lot easier i just got to remember to use my throwing weapons as well. I also found the joy of a duel server and i can actually see myself getting better every fight.

Would anyone like to spar sometime on a empty server? Perhaps a fellow newbie so we can exchange tactics? Would be really cool. My steam username is Sylanthor.

• Some MaA training tips:

1- Practice with bots in single player mode. They are fairly predictable but good for basic practice in the beginning.
    2- Unlock weapons in FFA games, yes it’s a very lame game mode but good for unlocking the next weapon.
    3- Practice more in team objective games on less populated servers, 4-8 players per side is ideal. 10 players and more per side will begin to make MaA life increasingly miserable.

Don’t worry about getting tactics handed to you on a silver plate, in the end you will find out what works best for you in terms of play-style, speed, damage and range. I do best with the big shield and falchion. Also use the broadsword and fire pot because want to get better with them.

Salute!

• Glad to hear you’re doing well and see that the community jumps at the opportunity to help~

Keep on fightin’ lads.

• Yep. Not only have i found one of the most promising and exciting games of the year it also comes with many wise developers and a great community! It is very uncommon for me to be so interested in a game… The promises Steve (lead designer) makes are amazing too, free DLC, development team with actual ears on their heads.

Not just a team that has a freighter full of money and is looking to fill as many ships as they can. I mean 22 euro + free upcoming additions to the game compared to 70 euro for other games… And i am not even mentioning the ridiculousness of 4-5 DLC priced 50+ euro together.

Once again thanks :)