How effective is crouch dodging?

• Saw the tool tip come up and completely forgot about it. Do others find this useful? Is this feature only bound to certain classes due to height?

Tell me your experiences please !

• It’s very useful against new players, but pretty pointless against experienced ones.

• I manage to crouch dodge many a times whenever my opponent is on a higher position than me, i.e. a staircase, a ledge or sometimes even a little further uphill.

I never did manage, nor ever saw oppertunity for a jump dodge

• I only use it while using spear type poke weapons. It seems to add slightly more distance between you and the enemy. Kind of like how it’s hard to hit people when they are downhill from you.

• I use it only when i get surrounded and have to fight a entire group, one time i was just swinging like crazy with my 2hander, crouching sometimes and with 2 swings i got 5/6 people!! :o
    One dude immediately called “HAX”! :D

• Basically what in trying to find out is if its a viable option in dueling and whether or not it can be consistently used on a leveled ground scenario

• @ZorisX:

Basically what in trying to find out is if its a viable option in dueling and whether or not it can be consistently used on a leveled ground scenario

Depends what weapon you are using and what weapon the enemy is using.

• Crouching vs 2h and you have 1h

• I do it quite often, even versus good players if I see a horizontal slash coming. Just remember to look down while crouching as your model will go way lower.

• Depends, sometimes I start swinging for the head and end up aiming towards the feet, or vice versa, depending on how the other guy’s moving. If they crouched and I was aiming high I’d probably just redirect the swing and get a head slice for their trouble.

• I find that at best it works once per fight, and obviously not against overheads. If you’re going to attempt it, you really have to pick the right moment.

Also, you definitely shouldn’t open with it. Tuck it in there after a few parries have been exchanged and the other guy thinks he knows your pattern. It’s like a defensive feint in that regard.

• To me it seems more the kind of thing you go for only if you know you are going to take the hit otherwise.

• The 2 posts above me nailed it. At best once per fight, and I almost only do it when I know I’m going to take a hit otherwise.

Crouching while attacking I do frequently as well. You can also do the matrix and lean your head/body back a bit by looking up, saved my life more than once just barely leaning out of range and bringing my own swing down in their recovery.

• @Anonymoose:

The 2 posts above me nailed it. At best once per fight, and I almost only do it when I know I’m going to take a hit otherwise.

Crouching while attacking I do frequently as well. You can also do the matrix and lean your head/body back a bit by looking up, saved my life more than once just barely leaning out of range and bringing my own swing down in their recovery.

You actually shift your hitbox far more by leaning forward than by leaning back. You should always lean forward when crouching, too - you practically hug the ground when you do so, and only a player that sees it coming or was aiming at your feet (or doing an overhead) will hit you.

• Good players will just drag their weapons into your back and accept the free hits. However crouching can be used additionally to looking straight down during an overhead attack. Assuming your enemy does the same without crouching, your attack will be fastened, his will be delayed. Just might save your ass if it’s about the final blow.

• The closer you are to the enemy, the more useful it becomes, however it’s situational. It’s more based on who you’re fighting. Against someone who uses the slash attack often, yes it can be very good. Against a more experienced player who overheads and stab combos primarily, not so much.

Also, it’s rare to be able to use it twice against the same person.

• @SlyGoat:

@Anonymoose:

The 2 posts above me nailed it. At best once per fight, and I almost only do it when I know I’m going to take a hit otherwise.

You actually shift your hitbox far more by leaning forward than by leaning back. You should always lean forward when crouching, too - you practically hug the ground when you do so, and only a player that sees it coming or was aiming at your feet (or doing an overhead) will hit you.

Absolutely.

The leaning back is more of a standing position thing for me, I should have seperated the 2. For example a stab coming straight at me that I feel should miss or just about miss me so I do not block, leaning foward may put me farther into his stab or he may see it coming and point down, but leaning back gives me just enough room for it to miss. I duck much more often, but leaning has been useful in some rare cases.

• crouch and drag your mouse to look down is very effective ;)

• I did hours of falcon punching today, and I have to say it’s very satisfying when ducks work and allow you to punch someone to death. Far far more effective in third person, too (I play third person with fists because I like to watch myself punch people to death) because you have better awareness of your model and the enemy’s weapon. It’s especially nice with fists because they ignore hitboxes completely, so ducking and punching someone’s legs does full damage.

Interestingly, I find ducking works best against mildly experienced players. The good ones don’t fall for it often, and the bad ones seem to slash at the floor for no reason. Jumping over attacks is tough even against people who are aiming down though.

Still, even when it’s at its most effective, it only works perhaps half the time. Not super reliable. An amusing quirk, but probably not going to be seen as a real tactic any time soon.

• Only works if they got an obsession for chopping heads off.

I typically aim at an opponent’s torso/feet unless it’s an overhead attack(in which case I would hit a crouching guy anyway) so crouch dodging doesn’t work vs me, and I think a lot of other people play that way as well :P