Different stances of Archery

• This video demonstrates that there are many ways to use a bow. It’s be awesome to have a toggleable stance for the game like shown in the video. Faster draw speed for power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2zGnxeSbb3g

• I want this guy’s stance. Only I’d run out of ammo in 8 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Wow, what a find.

Well, in FPS-type games, and Chivalry is at least remotely comparible to FPSs in some ways, there are normally a maximum of three grounded positions; prone, crouched, and standing.

In Perfect Dark for Nintendo 64, there is a half-crouch, as well, but no prone.

Here is how I see it:

For EACH class, you can have three different versions of each position, and maybe a half-crouch.

Hold, double-tap, single press. Maybe a double-tap-hold could lead to a faster switch, and even be used as a light attack. At this point, there’s not much reason for it, but I hope that in the future, there would be a chance your weapon could get knocked from your hands, or even destroyed; there’s not much incentive for the fisticuffs right now.

Not sure how to handle a half-crouch; maybe both the prone and crouch buttons would be treated as a single-button, with an option for an entirely different key.

For archers, I think different positions would affect speed, distance/power, and accuracy. Bows would probably be least effective prone because I would imagine bows are better kept upright instead of sideways, while crossbows would an added benefit from this. For javelins, well…you can still stab someone’s knees, or even tripping someone with a swipe; good luck throwing well from that position.

• Very cool video. Not sure how real it is or how relevant it is to battlefield techniques, but very cool. Stances are a neat idea, but I think they might complicate an already complicated game. not gonna say no definitely, but certainly low on the list of ideas I think need to be implemented. thanks for the vid though!

• there are many ways to shoot a bow, but mostly they differ in terms of culture and personal preference not in balance speed accuracy. What this guys does is of course very hard to do and not something your average medieval archer would be able to do.

• I’d really like to see ctrl serve as different stances instead of crouching. It would eliminate the whole “crouching makes my archery more accurate” thing, which I just find ridiculous, this isn’t CS or CoD :)

• @vek329:

I’d really like to see ctrl serve as different stances instead of crouching. It would eliminate the whole “crouching makes my archery more accurate” thing, which I just find ridiculous, this isn’t CS or CoD :)

indeed, there is already a benefit to crouching without the added accuracy.

• @qlum:

there are many ways to shoot a bow, but mostly they differ in terms of culture and personal preference not in balance speed accuracy. What this guys does is of course very hard to do and not something your average medieval archer would be able to do.

I disagree, considering his techniques are based on ancient techniques. I personally believe people were better fighters back then than they are now, and it simply comes down to that people were less spoiled and forced to be more fit.

• @qlum:

there are many ways to shoot a bow, but mostly they differ in terms of culture and personal preference not in balance speed accuracy. What this guys does is of course very hard to do and not something your average medieval archer would be able to do.

Average medieval archer would shoot way better than you.

Also, the archers in the game are not ‘average’ They are professional soldiers. MAA wouldn’t be able to dash like that if he were not professional. Vanguard charge, knights wielding shield and armor and fighting fluently.

• @boomandvibe:

@qlum:

Average medieval archer would shoot way better than you.

Also, the archers in the game are not ‘average’ They are professional soldiers. MAA wouldn’t be able to dash like that if he were not professional. Vanguard charge, knights wielding shield and armor and fighting fluently.

there is still a difference between a professional soldier and a extremely skilled master that can use techniques like that.