Cannot Install Chivalry

• If I try to launch Chivalry it will briefly go to Initializing Part 1 of 3, then it will disappear with no notification of error or problem. I have reinstalled it repeatedly and run vcredist_x64_vs2010sp1 and vcredist_x86_vs2010sp1 and DXSETUP.

If I use Launch.bat or UDK.exe I receive

UDK.exe - Application Error
    The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000096). Click OK to close the application.

I can’t seem to find this error in my Event Viewer to see what exactly is happening. I have the most recent video drivers, though I haven’t tried reinstalling them yet. DxDiag attached, dunno where to find Launch.log.

• Launch.log is found here: Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Logs. It may not exist if the game fails to load/never successfully opened.

It looks like all your drivers are up to date.

What happens if you verify the game cache in Steam?

• Verified 100% just fine, I’ve tried deleting UDK and verifying to hopefully fix whatever was wrong, hasn’t worked. Checked for the Logs, doesn’t seem like there are any yet.

• Looks like you have 2 AMD video cards, are you running CrossFire?

• I only have 1 video card, so I’m gonna guess that might be the problem. Will reinstall video card drivers and report back.

• @Fred:

I only have 1 video card, so I’m gonna guess that might be the problem. Will reinstall video card drivers and report back.

Good thinking. I’d recommend completely uninstalling them first, rebooting, then installing the freshest copy that you can get from AMD’s site (WHQL’d of course).

• Just reinstalled the drivers using Device Manager/Uninstall. Reinstalled them and still have the same error, though I think Catalyst Control Center might’ve retained whatever was bad about my previous installation.

• Did a better re-installation, got rid of catalyst control center and everything ATI/AMD related I could find. I think DxDiag still lists 2 or something, I kinda suck at reading it.

Okay, so I’ll just throw this up there

Name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_E174174B&REV_00\4&896556D&0&0028
    Driver: n/a

From my second DxDiag seems really suspect and I kinda wanna delete it in Regedit to see if it would solve my problem. Will take action upon instruction.

• Do you know which HD 6800 series card it is?

• Well, for the 2 displays the same Card is listed.
    Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_E174174B&REV_00

and then at the bottom of System Devices it lists

Name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_E174174B&REV_00\4&896556D&0&0028
    Driver: n/a

Which weirds me out since I have the drivers and its “deeper” in the directory than the video card running my monitors.

Edit: Tried wiping the aforementioned with Regedit, restarted and it doesn’t seem to have change anything. Still appears in DxDiag. Tried sorting Event Viewer to only Errors within the last Hour, still doesn’t display any UDK or Launch.bat errors. Still have no idea what is the matter.

• Tried installing it a few more times, it doesn’t always crash on Initializing Part 1 of 3, sometimes it just crashes on Part of , every once in a while it crashes on Part 3 of 3. Nothing ever comes up after it crashes.

• Ok this is a head scratcher.

Can you navigate in your AMD Catalyst Control Center to the part talking about CrossFire and make sure that it is not enabled (for sanity’s sake)? It may or may not look something like this:

[attachment=0:1889i5s0]amd.jpg[/attachment:1889i5s0]

If that isn’t it, what happens if you completely uninstall the AMD Catalyst Control Center/drivers and try playing with the default drivers that Windows installs?

• Already deleted Catalyst Control, have been using AMD’s driver download thing, will try Device Manager > Install Drivers.

• Uninstalled Drivers through device manager, restarted and ran DxDiag and confirmed the Radeon 6800 was gone. DxDiag found drivers for me (I think?) and the problems persist.

What is UDK.exe exactly? Should I try getting a version of it from someone who successfully installed the game?

• @Fred:

Uninstalled Drivers through device manager, restarted and ran DxDiag and confirmed the Radeon 6800 was gone. DxDiag found drivers for me (I think?) and the problems persist.

What is UDK.exe exactly? Should I try getting a version of it from someone who successfully installed the game?

Okay from here install the latest drivers and catalyst control center from AMD’s site and try again (sorry if this sounds repetitive).

UDK.exe is the executable file for Chivalry. UDK stands for Unreal Development Kit. Since Chivalry was made with the UDK, UDK.exe is the default name for the game’s executable file (they didn’t change it from default).

• Installed CCC 12.11 Beta 8 w/ Net.4 , it downloaded new drivers automatically. I looked for an option to disable Crossfire, I think they removed it in newer versions.

• Do you have any issues with any other steam games?

• No problems with any other games or installations, no major system instability, ran sfc.exe and came up clear. Defragmented and that went fine.

Still no errors on Event Viewer which weirds me out, maybe I’m not searching for applications correctly but I can’t seem to get anything UDK related. Might have a minor memory error which I’ll be checking out today.

• @Fred:

No problems with any other games or installations, no major system instability, ran sfc.exe and came up clear. Defragmented and that went fine.

Still no errors on Event Viewer which weirds me out, maybe I’m not searching for applications correctly but I can’t seem to get anything UDK related. Might have a minor memory error which I’ll be checking out today.

Nothing in Event Viewer? Windows Logs -> Application subcategory? The Source column may not show UDK.exe, so click through the events… Are there any crash dump files in your Chivalry Logs folder?

• Only have a bunch of informations and warnings in my Event Viewer, which weirds me out too. No sign of the Fatal Error in any of the others. No Chivalry logs were ever made since it can’t make it past Initializing on the installation.

I am slightly concerned that I might’ve fiddled with Event Viewer a few months back and changed something, but even then I’ve checked the filters and properties and nothing seems wrong.

Only real lead is the memory thing, and that looks minor right now.