Helmet-based POV.

• Is there a way to make it so that the player view from each class is based on what helmet they have on? Bonus points for the view changing to the current “default” view if the helmet is knocked off.

(Maybe also an achievement for knocking someone’s helmet off.)

This would be one unique way to affect class balancing without changing actual stats, damage, etc., not to say that none of those need to be changed at all; I agree that vanguards are a tad overpowered, but let’s not get off-topic. The heavies would also have a harder time seeing, and these seem to be the classes most people have contention with. I say that this would level the playing field a fair bit.

One of my friends has said that in its current state, Chivalry is an incomplete FPS with swords. That may be a tad harsh, but I can see what he means.

Let’s add some different game dynamics to avoid such a conclusion.

• It would be interesting and cool but I think would become nothing more than an annoying novelty. I know I don’t want to play with up to 80% of my screen obscured. Maybe as a mod or something. Otherwise I’d always ask a teammate to knock my helm off, or only ever use maa/archer.

• An interesting idea, but one I would only see as a neat option. Anyone can already use third person, so why obscure first person view for everyone? you could switch to helmet view with “P” like any view modes and it would be fun to use once in a while. (and a helm knocking achivement would be awesome. “Helms of truth: knock 42 enemy helmets”)

• So, vanguards and knights would basically be blinded…I can’t see me using this. Are there actual examples of games that did this?
    I know War of the Roses has something like that and originally I supported it. But than in the game it felt nothing but hindering.

Could be nice as an extra option however… and servers could choose an “realism mode” if they wanted.

• This is a nice idea but from an informed perspective I need to say: No!
    Here is the reasoning behind it and a little history:

In medieval times armor was made to make warriors immune to arrows, spears and swords. The helmet was especially important against rains of arrows. A knight could see very badly with his helmet on. When he then engaged in a close-combat he would pretty much ALWAYS opened his helmet for better vision.
    So the idea behind having obstructed view in Chivalry is not applicable because it simply would be not balanced by anything. The idea of armor in Chivalry is reflected by being able to tank a lot of hits, NOT to be immune to arrows and spears. It would not make sense to run around with your helmet closed, not being able to see a lot yet still knowing that you can get hurt and killed by ANYTHING in Chivalry.

To sum it up, it´s a nice idea but unfortunately not applicable. :)

• Some minor vision obstruction could be made for better immersion, but gameplay wise, obscuring parts of the screen would be a bit frustrating.

If someone modded chivalry to make it more like a medieval combat simulator though, this should be mandatory. Having all the benefits of wearing armor should have its drawbacks too.

• Maybe it doesnt have to be so blinding. A transparent darkened outline would be nice.

I would also love to hear a change in audio when its knocked off or I take it off…

Taking helmet off increases headshot dmg given.

• @ZorisX:

Maybe it doesnt have to be so blinding. A transparent darkened outline would be nice.

That’s what War of the Roses did. It’s not totally blinding, but still pretty disturbing. Could be a nice add, but not the default option.

• I would love to get the feel of a closed helmet! So how about this:

A closed visor helmet provides extra armor vs headshot arrows and
    stabs from any weapon to the face. In return your vision will be reduces
    by a good bit.

Create a new key binding for folding the visor up or down [toggle].

This way you can decide on your own when to have full vision and no
    extra protection against arrows/stabs (in man to man melee) or
    rather have no vision and extra protection (when charging 3-4
    unprotected archers).

• @Yuru:

I would love to get the feel of a closed helmet! So how about this:

A closed visor helmet provides extra armor vs headshot arrows and
    stabs from any weapon to the face. In return your vision will be reduces
    by a good bit.

Create a new key binding for folding the visor up or down [toggle].

This way you can decide on your own when to have full vision and no
    extra protection against arrows/stabs (in man to man melee) or
    rather have no vision and extra protection (when charging 3-4
    unprotected archers).

I can imagine that. War of the Roses has it, too. The thing is, I can’t imagine anybody would actually take down the visors if it meant that you’re half blinded then. I would rather gladly accept the chance to die by head shots which is not really high. I’m certain to die by any hits.

Also a closed visor is meant nearly exclusively for mounted combat. You would rush in with a lance and your visor down and open it in CQC for better sights.

And what do you do with great helms worn by vanguards? Those helmets were supposed to be taken off completely while being attached to the armor by a chain. The warrior had a smaller helmet beneath it.

• @Siegbert:

So, vanguards and knights would basically be blinded…I can’t see me using this. Are there actual examples of games that did this?
    I know War of the Roses has something like that and originally I supported it. But than in the game it felt nothing but hindering.

Could be nice as an extra option however… and servers could choose an “realism mode” if they wanted.

Realism mode toggle would be an acceptable compromise for me.

• At a point blank range opponents (maybe & allies , not sure about that) becomes invisible .

^So if rephrase it with the said above , then thumbs up .

• This would be cool if:

1. You had the option to raise your visor of the helmet or take it off, and in turn blows directly to your face/head without hiting the helmet would result in insta death.

However this brings us to the second requirement

2. You’d need to be able to actually hit the weakspots of the helmet if the visor is up and it would have to work WELL. Also arrows should be able to pass through the eyesockets or whatever openeing the helmet has.

• To be honest I just hope they do it :)

And yes, I would extremely support the narrow vision the knight would have. They are wearing massive armor yet they can see perfectly?

Doesn’t have to be crippling but certainly should play a factor and support a buff.