Weapons/Shields shattering/splintering

• I’m only a week in to Chivalry so I don’t know all the ins-and-outs of the weapons, but I’ve read some suggestions that smaller Archer/MAA weapons (like daggers) shouldn’t be able to repeatedly parry the more massive weapons, and also that perhaps there should be more penalty for a Knight or MAA who turtles under his shield.

Questions:

1. Should very light weapons accrue damage when used to parry the heavier weapons, to the point of becoming unusable after X many parries? This would only apply between weapons at the extreme ends of the mass range.

2. Should shields accrue damage after repeated blows from heavy weapons, becoming unusable after X many strikes? This would apply to shields only when being impacted by the most massive weapons.

Interested in hearing what you guys think.

EDIT: These suggestions would only apply for the life of the player. Respawn would regain all weapons as usual.

• Weapons no. Shields maybe, it might be interesting, given that the other options aren’t infinite either. Weapons no because generall a weapon’s extected lifespan far outstrips a player’s, and it would not be good to deny a player his weapon for using it correctly. Plus it would completely relegate such weapons to the dungeon never to be picked up again.

• My maul should tear right through a shield and a person in one big swoop. Mauls should be buffed to a point where they are excessivly powerful… Who needs speed/range when you have sheer power? 8-)

• I’ll edit my post above, but I was only suggesting that this happen for the life of the player. Respawning would regain all loadout items as usual.

Actually, maybe the weapon or shield could also be regained on-field through an ammo crate? I don’t want to get ahead of myself here though, first let’s see if this is something viable.

Imagine the horror of hearing a flimsy dagger shattered by a Knight’s Double Axe, followed immediately by the sound of a head splitting? Imagine hunkering helplessly under your shield, watching that sucker crumble away under the repeated impact of an overhead heavy weapon strike?

• I’m against any kind of weapon or shield breaking - quite simply, it just punishes good players for staying alive for a long time.

• 1. No
    2. No

Why? Because everyone would use only heavy weapons to break shields/smaller weapons.

• I think it would add some realism to it and wouldn’t be too much if kept at the extreme ranges.

But also you should be able to resupply them at an ammo station.

• It be neat to see chips and dents in a shield similar to how you can lose your helmet, but to have your shield completely be destroyed I’d say no

• @SlyGoat:

I’m against any kind of weapon or shield breaking - quite simply, it just punishes good players for staying alive for a long time.

good point

• Shield turteling is such a bad tactic that you should not nerf it further anyway.

• I think it’d be cool to see aesthetic changes in weapon/shield wear with the more you use it, up to a certain point. But the only change, if any, should be aesthetic.

As for splintering–splinters and debris flying off the shield–that could be a bit too expensive with regard to performance cost, may not be worth it.

• @Everchosen:

I think it’d be cool to see aesthetic changes in weapon/shield wear with the more you use it, up to a certain point. But the only change, if any, should be aesthetic.

This would indeed be pretty cool. It would also prize skilled players and long kill streaks.

• no. it was in WotR, and it made blocking completely useless for anyone planning to get more than one kill in a life. there are already more than enough ways to get through someone’s guard without adding in dumb, no-skill methods.

• I do think large 2 handed weapons should feel more powerful when striking against shields and puny parrying daggers.

I would like the idea of a chance for weapons armor to break, but while it’s a realistic idea, it would probably be punishing for developing skilled, competitive gameplay, which thrives on stability–not randomness. It also doesn’t seem to fit Chivalry, which has very few random elements as of right now.