The Bad Archery Guide

• Lets face it, 90% of all archers are just terrible. They can’t hit the side of a barn at 20 paces, or oftentimes even tell what colour the side of the barn is. Being a knight on a team full of bad archers is a frustrating, aggravating and unrewarding experience, and hacking down a team full of them really doesn’t provide much of a challenge for the other team either.

So, since I have little hope that bad archers will either improve or give up archery altogether, here’s my guide to being a bad archer without overburdening your team.

1. Know you are bad. Knowing is half the battle it has been said. Archery often provides you with the experience of helping your team without any of the actually benefits. You need to look at the cold, hard numbers on the scoreboard. If you are 1 and 10, you are a bad archer. If you are 4 and 4, but the high score on your team is 30 and 15, you are a bad archer. The statistics don’t lie.

2. Close the range. Granted you’re squishy, but you aren’t going to hit jack from half the map away. If you are firing in any sort of ballistic trajectory, you are too far away. Leave those trick shots to the big boys. You want a nice, flat trajectory where the arrow goes roughly where the crosshair is. You’ll do more damage that way.

3. You have a melee weapon, use it. There’s nothing more frustrating than watching an archer flee from an attacker rather than stand their ground. You will almost certainly die, and for no good purpose. Draw your melee weapon and block. You don’t necessarily have to kill your opponent to win, just fend them off long enough for a knight-in-shining-armour to rescue you.

4. Play the objective. Having a projectile weapon seems to have a hypnotic effect that leads to shooting even when you could be doing something more effective. If you need to push a cart, push it. If you need to ram a gate, ram it. Your chief goal is not to kill people, it’s to win the objective. Similarly, on the defensive team, if the cart is getting away from you don’t just stand there like a lemon firing on the victorious enemy. Draw your sword and go try and rescue the situation, the worst that can happen is that you die gloriously in the defence of your nation.

5. Resist the allure of the catapult. No good can ever come of you using the catapult. I know it seems like a good idea, but just don’t. Everyone will be the happier for you tuning out its siren song.

6. Try not to fire in to melee. Friendly fire, even if it doesn’t kill, usually leaves your team mates open to decapitation. If you have no other targets than in a big melee scrap, consider doing some backstabbing instead. If you really think shooting is best, take your time with and make each shot count. Firing wildly is the worst thing you can do.

7. Most importantly, recognise when it’s time to switch. If you’re pushed all the way back to your spawn then you need more heavy hitters on your team. Hit “m” and switch to something more beefy. Maybe you enjoy archery, but winning is more important. Or at least losing less ignominiously.

Follow these steps and you won’t be such a dead weight to your team. Maybe. At least until Archers Anonymous develops a 12 step programme to cure what ails you.

• This is great stuff you wrote, mate! When it comes to the class balance in the team I always hate to see half of my team being archers. They can be handy but it’s the knights and vanguards that win the war. Do you guys have any tips on how to practice archery? Especially aiming…

• :D
    that is all.

• I’ve said that already before but I really think completely removing the crosshair for both the bow and the crossbow could solve a lot.
    Good archers can pull it off, bad archers will just have to get better and useful or choose another class.

• Funny and true but bad archers gotto practice to get good and people are entitled to play how they see fit. It’s an artificial mechanic but giving the option in server settings to turn on reflective damage to all projectiles would solve most of the problem.

• angus im gona pop u ingame babe

• @Mas:

angus im gona pop u ingame babe

let me know the server he goes on…

If only melee’s took our advice of not slash spamming or teamkilling archers just cause they do better lol.

• @Angus:

1. Know you are bad. Knowing is half the battle it has been said. Archery often provides you with the experience of helping your team without any of the actually benefits. You need to look at the cold, hard numbers on the scoreboard. If you are 1 and 10, you are a bad archer. If you are 4 and 4, but the high score on your team is 30 and 15, you are a bad archer. The statistics don’t lie.

One caveat to this in particular: If you’re bad at archery, but you enjoy it, keep going. It’s the only way you’ll get better. There are good archers out there (if 90% are terrible, that means 10% at least get a passing grade) and they weren’t born that way - they trained, they experimented, and they developed their style.

You will take a lot of flack from your own team, and taunts from the other team - don’t let them get to you. Listen to any constructive criticism, and try to let the rest roll off your back. Do your best, have a rockin’ good time, and get your kills in when you can.

And know that a lot of the hate you’re going to get is unfounded. Some melee class players would like everyone to play they way they play; others prefer to imagine that their deaths could have been prevented by a fellow knight beside them on the battlefield rather than admit they messed up or that the enemy simply had their number. Most are content to forgive the flailing knight or vanguard buddy who TKed them, but are quick to rage at the archer who did the same. Many are content to ignore the other knights, vanguards, and MAA that are also struggling at the bottom of the scoreboard, while heaping all the blame on the archers. Most will have no problem claiming full credit for finishing off an opponent with an arrow already in his backside; assists don’t show up easily on the scoreboard.

With all of that said, I support points 2 through 6, and especially points 2, 3, and 4. Those are, in my experience, what separate useful archers from the fodder. Try out all sorts of different play styles, and don’t be afraid to die - it’s just a game, and making mistakes is how we learn. You will get better if you challenge yourself. Everyone, even the top players in the game, are constantly getting better, more confident, more experienced, bit by bit.

And remember, Chivalry is a game. Having fun is absolutely more important than winning. See you on the battlefield (please don’t shoot me),

Brave Sir Robin

• Thank you, Angus!

I play as an archer and I agree with every single point in your list.
    And that doesn’t mean I don’t suck! :D

• Definitely agree with #2 lol. So many archers park far away and think they can snipe everyone but usually hit nothing.

Archer is quickly becoming my favorite class. I have played all of them now and unlocked most of the weapons and I really have gotten the aiming down and am pretty damn good with the dagger. I love it when some knight or vangard charges past my teammates towards me thinking I am going to be an easy kill only to get stabbed to death! :D

But anyhoo, like someone else said, the good archers weren’t born that way, they most likely sucked when they first started playing an archer so lighten up a little, maybe tell your group that you don’t need so many archers. I know its frustrating when I want to play an archer and my team of 10 people already has 5 archers… I choose the class that will best fill out the team usually.

• @stickytape:

@Angus:

Having fun is absolutely more important than winning. See you on the battlefield (please don’t shoot me),

Brave Sir Robin

I think that comment alone should be stickied lol. So many people flip out on here and in game.

• You only get good at archery if you practice. Telling people to ‘Know when you are bad’ is the same as saying ‘Don’t even bother’, from what I can tell of your tone. I try to help via a bow and arrow every now and again. Sometimes I hit my own team, sometimes I hit their team. Doesn’t make me a bad archer - it just means I still need to practice. Praise for when archers do well is 300x better than shouting at them when they do badly.

• I think archers that do well might get even more hate than the ones that are failing sadly enough.

• I’m sorry but you are dead wrong about point three.
    What looks like “running away” to you, is actually a tactic of ours. We need to gauge whether to run or stay and fight.
    Let me explain to you the “Run away” tactic.

We are mid-close range fighters with little to no surviveability in the melee. If we notice we are getting targeted and ran down by an opponent, and have not landed one arrow to him. We need to turn around and run for support.
    We usually run 10 yards or so in order to meet up with a vangaurd or a knight running forward. Every single time I pass a melee while running back, the enemy targeting me gets distracted by my allies. This allows me to turn around right away and fire, or prepare to run in for melee.

There are few times when it makes sense to stay and fight a rushing opponent.

1. You know he is already weakened from either you or battle you’ve seen him in.
    2. You have enough time to safely fire one more shot and switch to melee. But only if nobody is behind you.

If you whine about archers firing into the melee, then you have no clue how the mechanics of this game work. The amount of damage we do the the enemy is insurmountable, and unfortunately we get no credit for this. Most players including the topic starter must assume that when they run up and get a one shot it’s because of their skill.
    It’s not.
    Good archers are able to consistently bring down enemy HP by around 90% (depending on the class and arrowtip used).
    If every now and then we hit a teammate, and you need to know that the risk is worth it.

You would be surprised how many of your kills you can accredit to archers.

I love when people who don’t play the class post class guides.

• @Emerald:

You only get good at archery if you practice. Telling people to ‘Know when you are bad’ is the same as saying ‘Don’t even bother’, from what I can tell of your tone. I try to help via a bow and arrow every now and again. Sometimes I hit my own team, sometimes I hit their team. Doesn’t make me a bad archer - it just means I still need to practice. Praise for when archers do well is 300x better than shouting at them when they do badly.

<3 +1

…but ted is right, good archers get hate too, tho it comes from a different type of player. Still there are few out there who can appreciate a good shot even if it hit their face. Mostly new players.
    Old player will often summarize all teamshots they recieved and generalize their anger on all archers they’ll ever meet. It’s not rare that I have to take the blame for what new archers screwed because ‘we are all one of kind’, even when I lead the scoreboard without any teamhit so far.
    Some archers play like a boss on low ranks already, others may have to practice some more or suffer low fps and poor game performance (like me) which can be really hard to deal with. Either way melee players should give us a break and remember when they were team slashing idiots or face that they still are. Needless to say you should not listen to them and play this game the way you bought it for.
    I’m sure if it’s funny or frustrating when ppl complain about bad archers in their teams and then TK their king on stoneshill.

• So you get butthurt by archers and then make a tl;dr cry topic about bad archers.
    What wrong with this world, gawd :o

Statistics won’t tell you how many times “this terrible archer” assisted in killing enemies, because “cold, hard numbers” (like assists) aren’t shown to all. Often all it takes to assist is to hit an enemy with a shortbow, interrupting him and making him an easy mark for frontline soldiers.

1. Close the range. Granted you’re squishy, but you aren’t going to hit jack from half the map away. If you are firing in any sort of ballistic trajectory, you are too far away. Leave those trick shots to the big boys. You want a nice, flat trajectory where the arrow goes roughly where the crosshair is. You’ll do more damage that way.

Depends on the type of weapon you’re using. With a shortbow or light crossbow I’d agree that you should close the range, but if you can hit targets from afar that’s good enough for me. I was quite competent with the bow before the patch, but now I need to learn it again as projectiles go much faster. Practice.

1. You have a melee weapon, use it. There’s nothing more frustrating than watching an archer flee from an attacker rather than stand their ground. You will almost certainly die, and for no good purpose. Draw your melee weapon and block. You don’t necessarily have to kill your opponent to win, just fend them off long enough for a knight-in-shining-armour to rescue you.

Or kill you. I often fear my allies more than my enemies, because I don’t know if they won’t go under my attacks (like push or overhead) or hit me with their swings. If there are allies nearby retreating to them is valid strategy, because they’ll stop your enemy all the same. Of course, there are times where you HAVE to draw a sword and help.

Your chief goal is not to kill people, it’s to win the objective. Similarly, on the defensive team, if the cart is getting away from you don’t just stand there like a lemon firing on the victorious enemy. Draw your sword and go try and rescue the situation, the worst that can happen is that you die gloriously in the defence of your nation.

In many cases you can achieve your chief goal by killing people. Archers protected by melee near the cart are more deadly than all melee as I found out many times. It all comes down to a correct synergy of classes and players.

1. Resist the allure of the catapult. No good can ever come of you using the catapult. I know it seems like a good idea, but just don’t. Everyone will be the happier for you tuning out its siren song.

Depends on the shooter.

• I’m not going to have a dig at Angus because i’m taking his post for what it was meant to be: light-hearted banter.

Actually amuses me. :D