Javelin and Blocking

• I play as javelin archer the most and get one hit killed quite a bit but that’s the risk I take by being an archer, but I think the real problem is the shield or reload time. I don’t understand why I cant block while reloading it would be a true life saver if you could some how implement a way to block while reloading and I don’t understand why I cant switch to the dagger after I throw a javelin. wouldn’t it be more realistic if someone threw a javelin then went after someone with their secondary rather than throwing their javelin then reloading their javelin then switching to dagger or short sword. I don’t really mind not being able to switch but I hate not being able to block while reloading. please help.

• I have never played archer, therefore i have no place in this thread but that sounds annoying. or something 8-)

• Those are some good points, man. I like 'em.

I use strictly javelin/shield.

Please, please, please incorporate critical torso hits into javelin throws. It’s simply devastating seeing someone with no armor have my spear sticking straight through their heart as they charge, swing and killed me with one hit through my block.

I seriously can’t stress enough how much of a difference this would make if you could just maybe up the damage some when critical torso locations are struck and pierced by a thrown jav/spear/pilum.

This game is wonderful regardless. I’m excited to see where you guys go with the updates.

• Jeveline is fine
    I play it and it’s actually very powerfull at close range
    The reload block malus is normal or javeline will be invinsible

• Also too add to my recent post WTF is with damage? Can any human on any planet take a javelin through the face? The freakin knights will take a javelin through the face and keep charging me while i’m reloading and one hit me. now I don’t care about one hit and sometimes I understand why a javelin through a kidney wont kill someone but a javelin through the heart is instant death. I might be asking for a bit much but Jesus, no one should survive a javelin to the face nor heart. Also man at arms should have javelin rather than archer. and now getting of topic why is archer so slow? how come a knight is barely slower than a archer? And why can man at arms catch up to me while i’m running away?
    Just don’t nerf things because there simply stronger, if your going for realism be realistic. If your set on fire your dead, if theres a javelin through your heart your dead, if a tamohawk hits you in the face your dead. be realistic. one shot to the head with any projectile is a kill. stop favoring the pussy whimp complainer knights and vangaurd, and favor realism, there’s a reason armies used lots of archers and fewer knights. Its because distance is everything.

• @Gastromorph:

Just don’t nerf things because there simply stronger, if your going for realism be realistic.

Thankfully realism isn’t the goal.

• @Gastromorph:

Can any human on any planet take a javelin through the face?

Can any human take any of the number of blows from sharp edged weapons and live to tell the tale? Unlikely at best. Or sprint in full armour? Not really. Etc.

Although I don’t agree with the argument via realism, maybe it would be interesting to have a ‘hardcore’ type mode where damage is much closer to reality, with some variable damage across the body. The only trouble is that armour was never a sure thing, if you take a hit maybe it glances or maybe it goes between your plates and slices an artery.

Anyway - to the topic, I agree that probably the reload animation should be able to be skipped over (to another weapon), and when the player returns to that weapon they have to reload.

• @Gastromorph:

I don’t understand why I cant block while reloading it would be a true life saver if you could some how implement a way to block while reloading and I don’t understand why I cant switch to the dagger after I throw a javelin

I don’t think javelins need a damage buff but I do agree on this part. Javelins are the worst out of all the ranged weapons and there are reasons why.

1. Javelins are supposed to be the close to mid range option for archers that double as decent melee weapons, yet you can’t even block after throwing one.

2. low ammo count

3. low range

They probably did this so you can’t just have your shield protecting you all the time. But all they would need to do is change the throw animation so that the shield is lowered to the players hip. This gets pretty annoying when I’m trying to shoot a pesky jav thrower anyways.

• Ammo is very limited considering it can take up to two javelins to kill one enemy.

Range is extremely limited, and reload time is not great either.

Also, for as thick as the javelins appear to be, they seem to require the precision of arrows or crossbow bolts which doesn’t make much sense to me. The javelin is basically like the thickness of a spear, so it should be much easier to hit with it, but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

I don’t see why you can’t hold your shield up with one hand while you reach back for another javelin with the other when reloading.

• Javelins are just completely worthless. I don’t get why they have so much disadvantages compared to xbow and bow while their only advantage is a shield and two weak melee attacks.

I hope they give javelins some niche ability, like hitting an enemy shield with a javelin makes the shield unusable.

• @Sisarot:

I hope they give javelins some niche ability, like hitting an enemy shield with a javelin makes the shield unusable.

That’d be far too overpowered.

• Thankfully realism isn’t the goal.
    Wait what?
    How isn’t it the goal? Might as well make decapitations with kicks if they’re not going for realism. Might as well make archers take three hits from a two hander too kill them. Or how about make everything else realistic except archers how about that.

• The voice of Gaming Common Sense demands for a Javelin reload buff.