Parry dagger

• Is it normal that dagger can without any problems parry claymore (or othe 2handed sword/axe/mace)?
    I find hard to imagine it in real life. (and don’t say it’s an arcade game)

Best regards.

• I’m fine with the dagger blocking most 2h weapons but not the Maul, the Grand Mace the Double Axe. They seem way too heavy to be blocked by a dagger (except when the Grand Mace is used as 1h)

• Agreed.

Did you also know daggers decapitate people with one blow :| :? :o !!!

• @The:

I’m fine with the dagger blocking most 2h weapons but not the Maul, the Grand Mace the Double Axe. They seem way too heavy to be blocked by a dagger (except when the Grand Mace is used as 1h)

I totally agree with you on that one, it’s already really hard for guys like me, who like to play with the maul, to go up against a weapon that strikes 4 or more times as fast AND that can block the most powerful overhead smash in the game (i know that you can get more damage with a sprint attack from a vanguard with the waraxe or the zweihander but i’m talking about regular fighting without the sprint attack). You could also say it’s not realistic because you’d break your wrist when blocking a giant hammer or mace with a potato knife, but then again, it IS a game. It’s just not really fair in my opinion…

• I think developers should add additional stamina parry costs in %.
    Someting like this:

dagger parryes 2handed - 90-100% of stamina costs. (+/- correction for type of attack)
    dagger parryes 1handed - 60-80%…
    And so on

What do you think about it?

• Of course it isn’t terribly realistic, but archers need to have some ability to defend themselves from strikes. What do you propose to replace parrying with so that archers can actually protect themselves a little bit?

It’s not like daggers are overpowered anyway. Maybe it is just my imagination, but it does seem to me to require slightly better aim and/or timing to parry with a dagger than with a larger weapon. A single feint to overhead attack (with one of the more powerful 2-handers) is enough to almost instantly kill an archer with his dagger out in my experience.

And of course, then there’s the fact that it takes at least 4-5 stabs for an archer to kill a knight when he can usually 1-shot the archer.

So what exactly is the problem, other than the fact that it’s a little bit unrealistic? And hell, you know that some daggers were actually made for parrying, right? Granted, you’d break your wrist or something parrying a giant hammer, but it’s not as far out of the realm of possibility as most players seem to think.

@KingOfPolarBears:

@The:

I’m fine with the dagger blocking most 2h weapons but not the Maul, the Grand Mace the Double Axe. They seem way too heavy to be blocked by a dagger (except when the Grand Mace is used as 1h)

I totally agree with you on that one, it’s already really hard for guys like me, who like to play with the maul, to go up against a weapon that strikes 4 or more times as fast AND that can block the most powerful overhead smash in the game (i know that you can get more damage with a sprint attack from a vanguard with the waraxe or the zweihander but i’m talking about regular fighting without the sprint attack). You could also say it’s not realistic because you’d break your wrist when blocking a giant hammer or mace with a potato knife, but then again, it IS a game. It’s just not really fair in my opinion…

The maul and grand mace are blunt weapons designed for anti-armor; it makes sense from a gameplay perspective that they’re not ideal for killing archers. The Longsword and Zweihander, on the other hand, are almost perfect for it. Also, if the archer makes a single mistake, even with a dagger, he won’t have time to avoid a maul/grand mace’s overhead strike and will get 1-shot.

• You’re right about the maul being a blunt weapon but they should at least still get half the damage or so from this epic smash, you can stab me 2-3 times before i can even raise that giant thing, if you can also block everyone of my swings it’s a tat unfair. But ofcourse there’s the argument that knights have way more armour and such, but they already have speed and range in advantage…but you know, these balance issues and such are always hard to discuss about, everyone has their own opinion and what some think of as bad others think is just fair and so on.

• People complain about this because they find it annoying to get parried by an archer who is usually using a dagger. Remove the daggers ability to block and they will just use the short sword or sabre instead and continue blocking you.

• A single feint to overhead attack (with one of the more powerful 2-handers) is enough to almost instantly kill an archer with his dagger out in my experience.

Feint with two handed weapon versus dagger means very bad aftermath, because while you doing it, dagger can hit you at least two times and interrupt your attack.

And of course, then there’s the fact that it takes at least 4-5 stabs for an archer to kill a knight when he can usually 1-shot the archer.

Archer has no chances against knight in melee fight. Even with dagger. Even with divine help :D

Remove the daggers ability to block and they will just use the short sword or sabre instead and continue blocking you.

Okay. Let they use short sword. Is’s not so fast as dagger.

• i’ve killed lots of knights with the javelin (as a melee weapon) and the short sword when i played as an archer a few times, it’s not that hard, just stab and move away or block and stab him because he is almost surely slower than you.

• @BGrey:

People complain about this because they find it annoying to get parried by an archer who is usually using a dagger. Remove the daggers ability to block and they will just use the short sword or sabre instead and continue blocking you.

Don’t know who you’re talking about but I for one, am not complaining. I play every class, I use every weapons, and it does seems to me that it’s way too easy to kill a Knight who has a Maul or a Double Axe with the dagger.
    Again, I don’t care about the other 2h, but these ones shouldn’t be parryable with a dagger, let’s force the archer to stay in his role and let close combat be his very last resort.
    It’s only my opinion.

• Honestly, if you’re getting killed by an archer after he pulls out his 1h weapon you are to blame 100%. I think this mistake probably stems from being too aggressive. I have killed many foes with the shortsword as an archer but against a skilled opponent victory is a stroke of luck. Aggression is the only way to kill someone with any class but as archer it seems especially true. Once that opening presents itself archers tend to unload a flurry of strikes. This is a good strategy because it keeps their opponents on the ropes and plays into the speed of their strikes. Once you create a little bit of distance between you and the archer the battle is all but won.

Oh, and if I’m using a big, heavy, 2h like the double axe and I square off against an archer who has shown his skills in melee, I will draw my secondary weapon and take it from there. As a vanguard or knight you still have the advantage of health and armor and only need to lay 2 blows.

• @nimble:

Honestly, if you’re getting killed by an archer after he pulls out his 1h weapon you are to blame 100%.

Truth.

If you’re honestly having issues with a maul against a dagger then might I suggest that the problem is you.

• I’m not sure why people get so hung up on the idea of parrying with daggers being unrealistic. Anything you could realistically parry with a sword you could parry with a dagger.The key here is you are using your arm to redirect the attack - whatever bit of metal you put in your hand is just there so that the weapon you’re deflecting isn’t hitting your arm. You’d be equally effective redirecting an attack with a simple steel rod as you would with a sword. Daggers are lightweight and in fact were often designed specifically for parrying, either in an emergency such as if you’re suddenly diarmed, or for use in your off-hand instead of a shield, for situations where your shield is broken.

A parry isn’t a block. You aren’t absorbing the shock of the blow - otherwise no matter what weapon you’re using, you’d either be disarmed or break your wrist trying to “block” something like a halberd. Weapons like the maul or double axe are not realistic weapons - they would not be effective in combat because of how unwieldy they are, so the fact that you can parry these weapons when in reality you would not be able to redirect that amount of force isn’t really an issue as far as I’m concerned. They’re there to add flair to the game

However, light weapons do already lose more stamina when parrying heavy weapons, for gameplay purposes.

• @SlyGoat:

I’m not sure why people get so hung up on the idea of parrying with daggers being unrealistic. Anything you could realistically parry with a sword you could parry with a dagger.The key here is you are using your arm to redirect the attack - whatever bit of metal you put in your hand is just there so that the weapon you’re deflecting isn’t hitting your arm. You’d be equally effective redirecting an attack with a simple steel rod as you would with a sword. Daggers are lightweight and in fact were often designed specifically for parrying, either in an emergency such as if you’re suddenly diarmed, or for use in your off-hand instead of a shield, for situations where your shield is broken.

A parry isn’t a block. You aren’t absorbing the shock of the blow - otherwise no matter what weapon you’re using, you’d either be disarmed or break your wrist trying to “block” something like a halberd. Weapons like the maul or double axe are not realistic weapons - they would not be effective in combat because of how unwieldy they are, so the fact that you can parry these weapons when in reality you would not be able to redirect that amount of force isn’t really an issue as far as I’m concerned. They’re there to add flair to the game

However, light weapons do already lose more stamina when parrying heavy weapons, for gameplay purposes.

Open and shut case Watson. I think everyone can move on from this topic now.

Quit worrying about the non-realism behind a dagger parrying a maul.

• @SlyGoat:

I’m not sure why people get so hung up on the idea of parrying with daggers being unrealistic. Anything you could realistically parry with a sword you could parry with a dagger.The key here is you are using your arm to redirect the attack - whatever bit of metal you put in your hand is just there so that the weapon you’re deflecting isn’t hitting your arm. You’d be equally effective redirecting an attack with a simple steel rod as you would with a sword. Daggers are lightweight and in fact were often designed specifically for parrying, either in an emergency such as if you’re suddenly diarmed, or for use in your off-hand instead of a shield, for situations where your shield is broken.

Honestly, I can’t seem to fathom how people can use the “reality” argument at all in a game where a a knight can run at 20mph in full plate without ever running out of stamina and survive a Javelin hit straight through the head. There are like a million things that are insanely unrealistic in this game, yet the only things the people using the “reality” argument want to change is strangely stuff that would help make up for them being terrible at the game rather then something that actually makes sense from a game-play point of view.

• @SlyGoat:

MAA with dagger can easyly kill any knight. (skilled MAA)

• MAA with dagger can easyly kill any knight. (skilled MAA)

X with a dagger can easily kill any Y (Skilled X) Derp.

• I think the key here is that in real life, none of these weapons would parry an overhead maul as they do in the game. Like suddenly holding a bigger weapon with one hand is going to make your arm stronger. Even with a shield, it would most likely break your wrist, not to mention break right through the shield. So why complain only about the dagger?

• @sharkh20:

I think the key here is that in real life, none of these weapons would parry an overhead maul as they do in the game. Like suddenly holding a bigger weapon with one hand is going to make your arm stronger. Even with a shield, it would most likely break your wrist, not to mention break right through the shield. So why complain only about the dagger?

In real life, anyone carrying that maul around would not only be exhausted before he even got into combat, he would be stabbed in the gut before he could lift it over his head.

So, I’m personally fine with the increased stamina drain for blocking it ;)