[GameMode] Tournament.

• Hi people.

So basically, you already get the idea from the title. It would be just like a duel mode, but organized in 16 (or even 32) player tournament, with a tournament sheet instead of a scoreboard.
    Like this one: http://www.samplewords.com/docthumbs/ho … -thumb.jpg

And in each beginning of a match, it would display the names of the fighters.
    Like:
    The Algerian
    vs
    Lord Snow

The “downside” would be that everyone has to wait their turn, even though it wouldn’t be a downside if, like me you actually enjoy watching other people’s fight.

• Maybe it could be a map. 16 different arenas around the map that spawn only two players in each. Once you were done with your opponent, another would spawn in as soon as possible.

• @grappo:

Maybe it could be a map. 16 different arenas around the map that spawn only two players in each. Once you were done with your opponent, another would spawn in as soon as possible.

What I was actually thinking about is some kind of Dragon Ball like Tournament.
    To me it would be fun to watch the other fights while waiting for yours.

Maybe it’s just me though.

• Again, this sounds a lot like duel mode. :)

• This sounds great! I would like everyone dueling at the same time just fine, but I think I’d like to watch everyone else fight while I wait my turn more.

• I thought of this exactly the same myself!
    Though I would like to see multiple arenas next to each other, with some kind of road next to it.

• One mode, either depending on settings or a separate gametype, could be to have all players fight a duel at the same time - let’s say for 90 seconds max, with a kill scoring 3 points, and a draw (both still alive after 90 seconds) or not having an opponent for a round 1 point. Then another round is played, and so on, either until a certain number of rounds or until every player fought every other player (not advisable on a 64 player server though :P ).

Some logic would of course be required to make sure players only fight each other player once.

This way, even if you’re a beginner or just really bad and you lose all the time, you still get to do a lot of fights so you can learn. And of course, you can always to opt to spectate only if that’s your thing, or end the map with a playoffs-like final between the two highest scoring players that all the others “have” to watch.

• @The:

@grappo:

Maybe it could be a map. 16 different arenas around the map that spawn only two players in each. Once you were done with your opponent, another would spawn in as soon as possible.

Exactly. DBZ for the win, by the way. And the great thing about this is it’s a duel with impact because of the spectators. You’re not just fighting for the glory between you and your opponent, but everyone watching. It amplifies the fun.

I would LOVE this, more than I can express. :)

• Maybe spectators can get cheering/heckling voice taunts. :P And their “fans” (if on a crowd-arena type map) can join in with the players cheering/heckling taunts.

• @UnknownXV:

@The:

@grappo:

Exactly. DBZ for the win, by the way. And the great thing about this is it’s a duel with impact because of the spectators. You’re not just fighting for the glory between you and your opponent, but everyone watching. It amplifies the fun.

I would LOVE this, more than I can express. :)

That was exactly what I had in mind, the fact that people are watching over your duel makes it somewhat even more intense, so does the fact that you’re watching a duel between two guys you could eventually meet afterwards, if one of them is very good, it would add to the pressure.

@AngryDave:

Maybe spectators can get cheering/heckling voice taunts. :P And their “fans” (if on a crowd-arena type map) can join in with the players cheering/heckling taunts.

That’s a great idea, plus the cheering and booing sounds are already in the game.

• That would be unreasonable to force every players except two to be in spectator mode. Duel as it stand is exactly like your idea, the UI is there, different matches between a couple of players happening at the same time. The difference is in how they match players and the Game Win condition. As I write these lines it’s basically a timer and after a set period of time the one who won the most duel win the game.

You take that, remove the timer. Match every players against every players then eliminate the weaker and put them in spectator. Eventually you get a winner. The actual work reside in a proper hidden score system to match players and the ability to be flexible enough to take in consideration drop-out and new connections.

• I hoped duel mode to be like this.
    Now all I can do is hope for another new gamemode and that should be tournament.

• @kraig:

That would be unreasonable to force every players except two to be in spectator mode.

Not really, as stated and as agreed in a few posts, some of us really enjoy watching other people’s fight, and it adds to the tension of meeting the winner if you see he’s good.
    Also it can be turned to the advantage of a smart player who can learn to know the other contenders by observing them and adapt his playstyle to beat them.